Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Anyone using the iRig?

For those who don't know, the iRig is an adapter used to connect a guitar and headphones to an iPhone (or iPad) in order to use this guitar amp/effects/tuner app. I got one for Christmas and have used it a few times. It's actually pretty cool. The only problem is that the headphones kind of get in the way. I was wondering if anyone here had one of these and hooked it up to PC speakers as opposed to headphones. How did it sound? What speaker setup did you use?
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

just one copy?? 500+ Posts
    Anyone using the iRig?

Re: Anyone using the iRig?

I haven't tried the iRig, I found a cheaper alternative, think it's called a d-link or something like that. It's more of a recording interface with USB and headphone out. I use it to record multi tracks to my laptop through Audacity. The headphone's are a PITA, but for real time recording, they are the only way. For better sound quality I use a Bose iPod dock for a mix monitor and just have the track I am playing and the click track come through to the headphone. Oh, and I only use one headphone too, so I can still hear the recorded tracks.

The iRig sounds good in the way you can dial up different guitar/amp style sounds, but I only really need one main sound, ie distortion then can add effects and whatever else in production through Audacity. I use an Orange Dark Terror with just a touch of reverb through a self built 212 cab for recording at home and I use the Terror with a Randall RH120 through a 1960s 412 for gigs.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

just one copy?? 500+ Posts
    Anyone using the iRig?

OK, so I got a bit off topic in that last rant.

I have heard my mate playing through his PC speakers and it sounded pretty good, just don't go too loud. I'd make sure you have a decent set, with powered drivers. Having said that, the Bose has external input for a 3.5mm headphone jack and she blows the roof off my joint.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Senior Tech 100+ Posts neergish's Avatar
    A little bit to the left of the centre of the known universe.

I wrecked a couple of cheepy powered pc speakers using a usb "stealth plug" (A PC version of irig -lots of pedel effects, and different amps, made my the same company) by attempting to dial it up to 11, although this was playing a Ukulele. I think it was a mistake expecting a wall of sound to come out of a couple of 1 inch sound holes.
    "See if you can rent a spring hook and a phillips screwdriver it will make your life that much easier..."

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Cool. Thanks for the input, guys...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I have been using the Pandora FX box for years. No phone required and it is loaded with pretty much any effect you could ever want. I play this thing all the time. 10 year and still works great. Great for those 2 week training classes.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Anyone using the iRig?

Dont bother with itsy bitsy headphones or other crap, use a marshall amplifier
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!