Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Trunk inventory and bean counters

KMBS has finally lost their minds. In an effort to keep better control over their techs' inventory, they've decided to AUTOMATICALLY remove parts from our trunk replenishment lists (min/max levels) without consulting with the techs first. A few examples of this idiocy:

Feed rolls that NEED to be changed in sets of 2 or 3 (depending on the model), I've been reduced to carrying only 1. How can I fix a copier with only one feed roll? It's impossible.

They want me to carry developer, but not the drum that goes with it, despite the fact that I always use them together.

They've decided that I should carry a transfer belt. Nonsense.

A charge unit I've only ever used twice, and that was because the charge wires were on backorder.

Two cleaning blades when I've barely used one in the past year. What are they thinking?

Bottom line: If they believe that a speadsheet can decide better than a technician what a technician needs, we have a serious problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Re: Trunk inventory and bean counters

LOL, priceless...

I'll bet some moron in a suit and a wind-tunnel tested hairdo got a fat bonus for coming up with that idea...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Ikon used to do this. It was continual battle to keep 2 heat roller bearings, 6 claws, and a heat roller all at the same time. They might as well take all of it if you have to order parts on most every call. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

certified scrub 500+ Posts

This is what Mr. Bean counting crews think about...

there's X feed tires order last year, only Y feed tires that's been replaced. There should only be Z feed tires made for 1 machine, but there are still so many out there unaccounted for. multiply by 2000 machines, total is ##### loss in revenue, .....

to stop the snowballing effect for the coming year, they point to the techs.........cuz they are the nicest buncha guys they know.

The nicest buncha guys.

really tho... blame it on "the race to the bottom."
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ikon Princess's Avatar

Ikon term; you have just been "starred". Yup, it worked in Kansas. So sorry for you.

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

I used to work for a dealer like that.
    then I showed them the parts manual and what was required for each machine.
    didn't help too much as they stuck with emergency part ordering and higher shipping costs.
    Bean counters don't know how to read words, just numbers.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Christ, Oce did this back in the mid 90s - it sucked back then as well.

Options:

1. Carry more than the report says - you get dinged on your eval for too much inventory.
    2. Carry what the report says, and then emergency order what you need - get dinged on teh eval for excessive e.o.'s.
    3. Carry what the report says, only replace with what you have, machine breaks down more often - get dinged for excessive visits.
    4. Replace part, put old one back in box and return as good; machine works, parts #s look good, next tech hunts you down and kills you.
    5. Start sending out résumés.

Technician 500+ Posts

The company I was at years ago did this very same thing. I understand what they are attempting to do. They are attempting to reduce cost. Not have parts in the cars that are not turning. The problem is how they go about it. When this happened to us, they took all kind of parts. Ended up shipping us back what we did not want. What a mess. We, techs, all know how to help them get to where they want to be. The problem is they think they have all the answers. Good thing I don't have this problem today. Enough on that, I could go on and on. Anyway, may I make a suggestion. Keep a record of what they had you send back. The reason for this is that when your numbers are effected, you will be able to show them that you did not have what you needed and that that part was pulled from you. Cover yourself. Good luck.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If you think being an in shop rebuild tech is any better, guess again. Example, HP 9000 fusers to be rebuilt, parts department told to use ordering history as guideline. We sold a bunch of upper rollers to another company, so the parts order for the next month had 400 lower pressure rollers and only 200 upper pressure rollers. After you build the first 200, then what?

Management wants to keep only what turns every month. That's a good idea in principle, but you can't lump production parts with sales parts. If you have something on regular production, you need to keep a single run production quantity in inventory all of the time of all the parts used to rebuild a part. Not just go by sales, which is a smaller quantity every month based on a quarterly average of individual parts. They don't treat it separately so we run out of parts before we run production. Let you not have a production part in inventory and watch how much they scream. You can't make a cake without eggs, but magically we're supposed to make that happen. Backlogs everything including orders. So, an order is placed and we pay overnight shipping and then we kill ourselves to get the parts out in time. Tell me how that saves us money. Try explaining that to a bean counter who believes that inventory is inventory and it shouldn't matter whether it's machine parts or produce, it should be inventoried the same. I'm all for modern methods, but not when it creates more stress for the techs and costs us more in the long run.

I want to go back to business where the concern is the quality and you're not a technician you're a craftsman. Where you're proud to put your name on everything you do and you treat it as a form of art not a slap it together in the fastest time possible. I understand the concept of making money, but I don't think you should sacrifice your principles to get it done. Unfortunately, as long as companies out there are interested in getting parts at the lowest price, you are going to see a decline in the quality of the merchandise you buy, and that's across the board not just in our industry. Just ask yourself why people aren't buying American cars.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    I want to go back to business where the concern is the quality and you're not a technician you're a craftsman. Where you're proud to put your name on everything you do and you treat it as a form of art not a slap it together in the fastest time possible. I understand the concept of making money, but I don't think you should sacrifice your principles to get it done. Unfortunately, as long as companies out there are interested in getting parts at the lowest price, you are going to see a decline in the quality of the merchandise you buy, and that's across the board not just in our industry. Just ask yourself why people aren't buying American cars.
    Well said; a boost to your rep.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --