Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: User details

Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    User details

Well I read all this and find myself a little amused, all this cloak and dagger secrecy! Well I better get my details out of here. Big brother and all. There's always a story about someone at brand X, or a friend of a friend of mine, some one knew a guy ect... I would like to hear from 1 tech who actually got canned for using an online forum and I'm not talking about the fools who post direct links to manufactures privates sites including passwords ( I'd fire them too!)

I can tell you my experience. Once I was on a forum just like this and because my details were available I received a call from the people at CNET and 3 weeks later I was in Sanfrancisco as the special guest for a Web Cast on ZDnet featuring myself as a product expert on MFP's. That was truly an experience.

Lets face it guy's big brother has better things to do! After all whats the worst thing that is gonna happen, Maybe another piece of their equipment will be up and running again! Another satisfied customer heaven forbid.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    Personally it makes no odds to me if someone wants to publically display their real name and email address.

The important thing for me is each user has the choice to decide that for themselfs.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper38_cnd View Post
    Well I read all this and find myself a little amused, all this cloak and dagger secrecy! Well I better get my details out of here. Big brother and all. There's always a story about someone at brand X, or a friend of a friend of mine, some one knew a guy ect... I would like to hear from 1 tech who actually got canned for using an online forum and I'm not talking about the fools who post direct links to manufactures privates sites including passwords ( I'd fire them too!)

I can tell you my experience. Once I was on a forum just like this and because my details were available I received a call from the people at CNET and 3 weeks later I was in Sanfrancisco as the special guest for a Web Cast on ZDnet featuring myself as a product expert on MFP's. That was truly an experience.

Lets face it guy's big brother has better things to do! After all whats the worst thing that is gonna happen, Maybe another piece of their equipment will be up and running again! Another satisfied customer heaven forbid.
    It happened to me too. It was after I graduated my masters degree from NYIT and I had my thesis online. I was invited to make a presentation of the project at a nationwide seminar in Greece. They even requested for my permission to publish certain parts of it. As pepper38_cnd said it was indeed a great experience. But lately here in the States we hear so many things about identity theft, that makes you afraid placing personal information on the net. Michael Moore said in one of his documentaries, that the average american is afraid, but the average person in other developed countries is not. May be he is right?

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    Unfortunately I have had my email address spammed from another site so I do not post that info to the public. I do enable pm's and will respond by either pm or email. I also have several managers that browse the website so I cannot post my name either (they do not want us to help the competition). I do not mind helping but I do like to have a job at the end of the day.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts knightfall's Avatar
    I guess to each is own if you claim it is better to leave your personal information so it is available to anyone then by all means more power to you, but for those who do not wish to give their information they have that right. In this great country of ours we practice something I call freedom of choice, and for those who don't feel they want to share information because they cant see personal information of others you also have that right, selfish and juvenile as it maybe but still your right. But remember what this forum is about for technicians to gather information and share ideas.
    Last edited by knightfall; 11-27-2007 at 12:24 AM.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.