Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    just one copy?? 500+ Posts
    What's in laser copiers that make them so heavy?

Re: What's in laser copiers that make them so heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by igi View Post
    Hi all
    i researched the above isue and came to a conclusion(many hours of research)

the reason the HP is heavy, is the hard drive must be full,

please format to make it lighter

cheers

Also, format as SKINNY not FAT.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

if you take a close look inside the machine you will find all the things that have gone missing from your office since the day you got the machine.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Dear aab1, with your own mouth, in your own words you stated that, "The new HP is MILES AHEAD of the canon machine it replaced". This should indicate to you that the new machine is a HIGH QUALITY, HIGH RELIABILITY product.

- It means HP employs tools and manufacturing equipment of the required standard,and they have good FEEDBACK of information between design & production that enables modification to be made that will improve Reliability and quality.
    _ It means the BUYING DEPARTMENT in HP ensures that the required COMPONENTS & PARTS used in the manufacture of the machines is ordered from a REPUTABLE source; They therefore, have a correct purchasing policy, that ensures that all the aspects of the item's specification can be met. All components & parts entering the factory passes through a Rigorous "GOODS INWARDS INSPECTION SYSTEM".
    _ IT ALSO means that HP employ highly skilled, highly trained workers( tool makers,production & methods engineers, Assembly operators, Test & Inspection Engineers,etc).

In the above area, I can't doubt HP at all, Considering that the company's founders, HEWLETT & PACKARD, are both GRADUATE ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS themselves, by profession.

- It is ALL about offering a Reliable and Quality, Reputable product to the consumers by first investing in reliable, quality Resources/materials. Therefore winning the consumer's confidence, as happened to you.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

I've heard a couple of years ago the rumour that copier manufacturers are also shareholders of all the major screw manufacturers all around the world. That's why every copier/printer you see apparently has more screws than it would be necessary (say, for example, eight screws to hold a panel in place instead of just, say, three or four). That's also what makes them heavier, since a large percentage of a photocopier's weight is due to the large number of screws used to hold it together.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

End User 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by igi View Post
    Hi all
    i researched the above isue and came to a conclusion(many hours of research)

the reason the HP is heavy, is the hard drive must be full,

please format to make it lighter

cheers

That does make a lot of sense, because it does have a 70 GB hard drive which I don't think comes standard with the machine, and I did buy it used. The previous user must have left 10 000 pages worth of documents on the hard drive. No wonder it's so heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS View Post
    Dear aab1, with your own mouth, in your own words you stated that, "The new HP is MILES AHEAD of the canon machine it replaced". This should indicate to you that the new machine is a HIGH QUALITY, HIGH RELIABILITY product.

- It means HP employs tools and manufacturing equipment of the required standard,and they have good FEEDBACK of information between design & production that enables modification to be made that will improve Reliability and quality.
    _ It means the BUYING DEPARTMENT in HP ensures that the required COMPONENTS & PARTS used in the manufacture of the machines is ordered from a REPUTABLE source; They therefore, have a correct purchasing policy, that ensures that all the aspects of the item's specification can be met. All components & parts entering the factory passes through a Rigorous "GOODS INWARDS INSPECTION SYSTEM".
    _ IT ALSO means that HP employ highly skilled, highly trained workers( tool makers,production & methods engineers, Assembly operators, Test & Inspection Engineers,etc).

In the above area, I can't doubt HP at all, Considering that the company's founders, HEWLETT & PACKARD, are both GRADUATE ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS themselves, by profession.

- It is ALL about offering a Reliable and Quality, Reputable product to the consumers by first investing in reliable, quality Resources/materials. Therefore winning the consumer's confidence, as happened to you.
    That makes sense, but I still have trouble imagining how it can be so heavy, perhaps it's the lack of handles and large/awkward shape that makes it nearly impossible for one person to lift it. Since I'm using it in a home office, I'm going to have to wait for a friend to come over just to I can put it on my desk, and I'm almost worried the desk will collapse with this on it. I might end up getting the HP cabinet/stand designed specifically for this machine.

Thanks

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

The reason laser printers are heavier is that they are made with steel frames, have metal in many of parts, like developers and fusers, all to make the machine solid and sturdy. Unlike the cheap ink jets that are all made of plastic.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

It's all the extra screws used as ballast for shipping. As it gets worked on, the ballast screws end up in tech's pockets, making the machine exponentially lighter.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar

It's All In The Name ......... you know ...

HP = Heavy Printer

IBM = Idiotic Blinking Machine
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    I might end up getting the HP cabinet/stand designed specifically for this machine.
    Ah, my dear friends, I think he's onto something...
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    Do they intentionally add weight for theft prevention or do they really have to be this heavy and if so what makes them so heavy?
    You're killin' me, aab1.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING