Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Seems like we are few and far between

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts copygirl's Avatar
    Nope, you're not the only one. I have been a tech now for a little over 30 years. Started on typewriters in the 70's and have been Kyocera/Mita for many years. Have known a few women tech's in my time but few and far between. Don't work in the field as much as I used to but still get dirty when I have to. Don't really mind it. And I always really liked working with guys. Welcome to the club.

remmie32

Senior Technician

Hi,
    This is my first post. I am a woman and have been in the copier industry (mostly Canon) since 1984. Never thought I would still be doing this at my age, but here I am! I've known several lady techs. One is a supervisor, now.

I've seen a lot of changes over the years. It is a tough industry for women, but I enjoy it, for the most part. I don't think it's getting dirty, or crawling around on the floor that keeps more women from being copier techs. I think it's still the idea that women feel they can't be technical. I often hear, "I could never do that", but of course we know they could! I guess it's a mind set.

Scareit
    I work with one here in Portland Ore. She has been tech of the year and does an awesome job.

I think Remmie32 is correct in the mind set that woman have about technical stuff. I am always told by other women that there is no way they could work on technical things, like I do. I think women underestimate their abilities. We have as many problem solving skills as men do, we can just solve multiple problems at once. I am always encouraging the gals I meet to try new things and working on copiers is truly one of them.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Women Copier Techs Do They Exist???

You'll get nothing but encouragement here.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I seen one woman as a service tech and they told me that she one of best(beside 3 other guy that where experienced as techs ) but form ur "storry" it definitely seem that they are a better tech than we would be

But story goes like, How many man u can found cleaning house? been a medical nurse?been a secretary? and etc. Same proportion is in this job but unfortunately lower then upper comparison men>woman woman>men

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I am a woman copier tech, and I started when there was predominately analog machines. Digital and color machines were just getting popular and my boss was afraid of them. I guess cause it was something new. I was a newly graduated electronics technician and had no intention of getting started in copiers. Wanted to get into computer networking cause all my friends were doing it, but no available jobs at the time. I had a hard time at first, because my hands were not very strong. My first PM was on a Toshiba.

There are more women printer techs cause our smaller hands come in handy and dont require as much strength to work on. I do more printers now than before. My biggest pet pieve with guys is they dont put the screws back to hold the covers on and when they do they put the wrong ones. The only other problem I have with guys is because I'm a woman in a man's field they think that I'm gay or a B. After they get to know me I'm like one of the guys and I like it. Usually if you ask for help they are more readily to help you than another guy. LOL. I like that too.

Only advice I give new techs I train (guys or girls) is stay humble. Be willing and ready to learn from anyone. I've learned things from newbies that dont know the difference between a controller board and a power supply. If you dont listen to other people you'll spend a lot more time trying to figure things out.

Service Manager 250+ Posts FRIDGEMAGNET's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Only advice I give new techs I train (guys or girls) is stay humble. Be willing and ready to learn from anyone. I've learned things from newbies that dont know the difference between a controller board and a power supply. If you dont listen to other people you'll spend a lot more time trying to figure things out.
    Wise words indeed!

I also know two female`s who works in Serbia, but, as many they dont want to get dirty. And now I still think that thay was much better from some serviceman`s that I meet...