Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Worst Remanufactured cartridge ever

Well as you all know remanufactured cartridges are what keep us in a job !!
    But this one has to be the daddy of all rubbish cartridges & the worst quality control by the manufacturer ever.
    Picture this, you get a call to a Canon L360 fax with jamming issues.
    On arrival the customer informs you " I put a new cartridge in and it never fed a sheet of paper through it just kept jamming in the centre of the machine.
    So I then put the old cartridge back in and it worked for a few pages before it said replace cartridge again"
    I asked where is the new cartridge now then? & was directed to a box which is obviously a non original & immediately think well that's gonna be the problem here then but wait can you possibly believe this?
    I think eh jamming in the centre ; probably the drum & or blade seized/flipped .
    So I open the drum protection flap & guess what I see
    A nice clean charge roller, a lovely new drum cleaner blade & a cleaner unit mylar seal.
    Um I think could there possibly be a slight problem here? & kerpow like a bolt from the blue a whole millisecond later the fault miraculously reveals itself to me.......... Wait for it .........It hasn't got a drum in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    How on earth do you forget to fit one of those I ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can anybody beat that ?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Worst Remanufactured cartridge ever

That's why it was available for such a good price! The customer forgot to read the fine print*...

*drum sold separately

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Worst Remanufactured cartridge ever

Chinese / East-Asian Slave Laborers at their best.

Hans

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Chinese / East-Asian Slave Laborers at their best.

Hans
    Folget dlum. Vely bad.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Too many complaints about dlum qality, solve ploblem,omit dlum!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Uze olde dlum, stil gud.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I can't beat that, but...

In the early '90s, I worked a lot on the Canon Fax L700 series, which was basically a laser printer with fax "stuff" on it. (Just like most of 'em, I guess.)

I had a bunch of customers buy aftermarket cartridges, which were supposed to fit the laser printer or the fax models.

There was, however, a small depression in the cartridge shell for the toner sensor, which was in the body of the engine, but only for the fax version.

The first time the door was closed with the "new" cartridge in place, it broke the sensor, and rendered the machine unusable.

Obviously, this was never covered by a service contract. It was about $200 to repair. The part was fairly cheap. but it took a long time to do the job.

I can only imagine the conversations that ensued between the customers and the vendor after that repair bill.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

This Space For Rent 100+ Posts JimHegs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    Can anybody beat that ?
    Years ago, one of our dispatchers went to McDonald's to grab a cheeseburger and when she got back to the office and started eating she found a perfectly manufactured McDonald's Cheese burger without the meat. Onions, pickles, ketchup and everything else, just no meat.
    Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/JimHegs

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHegs View Post
    Years ago, one of our dispatchers went to McDonald's to grab a cheeseburger and when she got back to the office and started eating she found a perfectly manufactured McDonald's Cheese burger without the meat. Onions, pickles, ketchup and everything else, just no meat.
    That's the Vegetarian Big Mac

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

It can happen sometimes. I worked for another vendor before the one I currently work for. We had a fuser tech. Essencially, a kid out of high school that we trained to work with us. Management didn't want to hire any more techs. Anyway, he would party almost every night (19 yrs old) and come in sometimes wearing the same clothes as the day before. We got one of his fusers back with a missing lamp. It was hilarious to watch the returns manager ask him if he tested each fuser, which he said that he did. "Explain how you could without the lamp?" (BTW...I left that company due to disagreements about what parts should be changed in a fuser.) We don't do cartridges, so I can't speak for them. Humans make mistakes. That's why a lot of jobs have become automated and why larger companies have a QC department to check that each part is in there.

In the company I work for now, the testing is usually done by a different person to QC your work and it gets inspected again before going into a box. When I do remanufacturing of parts, I finish a unit completely before going to break or lunch. Otherwise, you can forget whether you replaced something or not. Especially, when you're looking at 100-150 fusers or in my case paper feed assemblies and transfer belts. The more complicated the part the more checks I do. I hate to put something that has 19 gears, 21 springs, solenoids, clutches, sensors and over an hour of work, just to reallize that I forgot to install a key frame component. The phrase "do it again" is very frustrating. . All of them run together. Some companies test every 10th one. To me, that's just asking for trouble. We have a stripping department, cleaning department, assembly department, testing department, and packing department. So many trained people see the part before it goes out the door errors are rare. Most returns are damaged in shipping or by techs who don't know what they're doing, but errors can still happen.

So if the toner reman company you're talking about is making those kind of mistakes they have procedure issues and are not QC-ing their work, have become a faster, cheaper company, or they're just too small/understaffed. Quality issues are becoming a major problem these days in our industry. The bottom line has become more important than doing a good job. The inexperienced tech issue I mentioned above has increased since the economy went down and managed print became the wave of the future. Many have never seen a printer before or were former IT people. I had a "so-called" tech call me to ask a question on a HP 4250 who asked me, "There are 2 round things that spin when I power up the machine. Is that normal?" "Yes," I replied, "those things are called motors." "Oh, sorry, I didn't know," was his answer. I felt sorry for him. What kind of company throws their techs out with no training? (Don't answer that. I think I know the answer.)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".