Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Benchmarks and efficiency percentage Help.

Re: Benchmarks and efficiency percentage Help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie1981 View Post
    So to summarise:-
    Can I forward this to my manager? More to the point can I send this to the Managers / Execs / Board of Directors groups?
    73 DE W5SSJ

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts

Re: Benchmarks and efficiency percentage Help.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    Can I forward this to my manager? More to the point can I send this to the Managers / Execs / Board of Directors groups?
    Sure, if you think it would help.

But if your manager is anything like ones I have worked under, he'd read that, shrug his shoulders, agree with everything but add the caveat "Yeah, it's crap, but that's how it is and that's how it's always been and it isn't going to change anytime soon"

Directors in large companies are even harder to get through to, if you work for a large organisation I bet you already get bombarded with tons of stuff telling you how you work for an "employer of choice" and how much the company values your "engagement". It's all basically internal marketing, and the further up the ladder you go, the more insulated they are from the sharp end and subordinate managers are desperate to make sure the big bosses hear what they want to hear (after all, most managers have bonuses based on the team and/or regional metrics as a whole).

I don't think the board in these large companies are necessarily complacent people, it's just they get heavily filtered information all the time and the more layers of management between them and you, the more filtered the information is and if you go straight to them with problems that don't chime with what they hear on a daily basis from practically all of their subordinate managers then you'll just get seen as an odd disgruntled tech who can safely be ignored. Worse than that, you might even have inadvertently put yourself on the layoff list for coming across as being "disengaged".

Conversely I've also worked at a place where the directors came into the offices and workshops to consult directly with the staff ostensibly to "troubleshoot" where problems lie, I have sat there and listened as managers have told the line director straight where the problems are (but without getting angry and shouting them down, this just makes people defensive and rarely achieves anything) and the director has flat out denied that these problems exist without even conducting any sort of investigation. I left that company shortly after that as I honestly couldn't see how the workplace was ever going to improve, eighteen months later the company went into administration.