Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Customers that help...No, I really mean it

We have all ranted about the customers that do stupid things and piss us off, but what about the smart ones? Last week I had a call on a Bizhub 450 color. The customer is a defense contractor that works on IT issues so they are smarter than the average customer. They told me the machine was locking up when they opened pagescope to scan. Seems logical that the hdd would be the culprit. The guy sitting closest to the machine Google it and pulls up a diagram of where it is, just in case I need it. I assure him I can locate it and remove the hdd to take to the shop and test it. "No need for that, we have a box full here." One of them goes and gets me 2 40 gig and a 100 gig and says "take your pick". I put one of the 40's in and start the format process. I hate waiting so I ask, "If I write down the path will you guys run the logical format when the physical is done, I have stuff to do?" "No problem" they said, We will call if there are any problems, thanks for coming by" They called me about an hour later and said everything went fine and they reprogrammed the user boxes. They are now on my list as most helpful customer. I like the ones that have tried all the basic stuff so you know it is really broke when they call. I have another that actually uses the computer to track the supplies in the color printers so there is never an emergency. I am impressed now by the smallest of things.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

just one copy?? 500+ Posts

Re: Customers that help...No, I really mean it

We had a customer at a remote school and her machine was an e-studio850. She knew/we taught her how to pretty much service that copier. She could change the drum and initialize dev. She would replace fusers when we sent them rebuilt. Sorta felt bad having her do all that work, she on the other hand was stoked she didn't have to wait until we could get to her.

Sadly, she has a new machine which never breaks down so she doesn't get her hands dirty any more and even she admits she misses working on the copier.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

used to have a customer with a large pressure sealer....he also had his own workshop at home......i only ever got a call if he was stuck or for a pm call, i'd go in & he'd say this wasn't working or that was doing this, so i made this part or modified that to do this, after he'd been there 10 yrs think he had just about modified or replaced most of the mechanical parts.....an engineer came over from the manufacturer...he didnt recognise the inside of the m/c....
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I've got two or three customers that will do the full color calibration on the Copystar Saturn series before placing a quality service call.

I was kind-of surprised when this customer stepped up behind me and asked "Can I do this calibration myself?". I told them that there were quite a few steps, maybe a half hour's work, but if they really wanted to I'd be glad to teach them.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I maintain a list of what I like to call "Competent Contacts". An IT guy who works in an office of 50 dingbats. A maintenance man who is a whiz at resetting drum counters. I think the list is over 20 people now. Last week I added Philip; a HVAC trainer who can actually change staples without a service call.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Had a lady at an insurance agency over 10 years ago that pulled out a notepad while I was installing her new Lanier 6714 (14ppm Sharp Desktop) and said "I want to know what does what"

She had me disassemble nearly the whole guts of the thing (not that there was much to a PM on them) and show her all the exposure adjustments, etc. while she took pages of notes and asked dozens of questions. I was curious, and happy to explain whatever she wanted (Major Hottie!)

They paid the maintenance on it and the only calls I ever got were, "could you drop off a drum and blade" or "I need feed rollers"

Darn shame... MAJOR HOTTIE.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Candy Dishes. They are "Lifesavers", in late afternoon w/o lunch.

Service Manager 100+ Posts eddie110171's Avatar

I only have a few, one of them used to be a Toshiba tech. If I can talk him through a problem on his 500ci saves me a trip. I wish I had a few more like that.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

About 4 years ago I was on the beach on a rare day off. My phone rang and it was one of my customers. She was frantic. She had 300 soldiers in the building getting gear, each transaction required copies and everything was jamming in the copier. It was a Minolta Di470. Based on her description A separator finger was grabbing the paper. I told her to find a Phillips screwdriver, a pair of pliers and a solider who was mechanically inclined. I was able to talk him through pulling the fuser, snapping off the bad finger, and putting it back together.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    Had a lady at an insurance agency over 10 years ago that pulled out a notepad while I was installing her new Lanier 6714 (14ppm Sharp Desktop) and said "I want to know what does what"

She had me disassemble nearly the whole guts of the thing (not that there was much to a PM on them) and show her all the exposure adjustments, etc. while she took pages of notes and asked dozens of questions. I was curious, and happy to explain whatever she wanted (Major Hottie!)

They paid the maintenance on it and the only calls I ever got were, "could you drop off a drum and blade" or "I need feed rollers"

Darn shame... MAJOR HOTTIE.
    Well now i understand why you banging your head.