Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Have you re-purposed copier parts?

I can't be the only one that has put copier parts back into service. And not necessarily for the intended purpose.
    I'll start:

The Off button failed on the alarm clock, and I couldn't justify $39 for a new alarm clock with one bad momentary switch. They're mounted at 90 degrees off the circuit board and all my momentary's are flat mount. What you're seeing is the main power switch for a NP-6412, circuit board and all. By the way, when Amber gets tired of the radio she knows how to turn it off.

Alarm Clock0.JPG

This was Dad's tablesaw. I got to looking at the bucket full of pressure rollers and thought "What could be better?" The rollers won't mar the wood, and won't resist the material when I'm pushing it through.

Tablesaw Extension0.JPG

This is the Auto Tea Infuser. It incorporates two NP-6085 primary charge cleaner motors, a Mita DC-142 lens drive rail and bushings, a handful of paper deck limit microswitches, the op panel switches from an ancient liquid Savin, and the housing is cut from large panels of platen covers. The gear reduction dunks each teabag ~once each second, and when stop is pressed raises the teabags out of the cups so they can drip into the cup. It's been in service since 1995. It's had two service calls. The lens rail ran dry and burned up a motor. The lower limit switch failed once.

Originally I wanted to have a programmable timer that would provide a ground pulse at the conclusion of the programmed time, to cause the teabags to raise. But I don't quite have the skill level to build the timer, so it never came to fruition.

Auto Tea Infuser0.JPG

How have you re-cycled copier parts? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts

Re: Have you re-purposed copier parts?

Definitely nothing approaching that level, I remember last time a changed the hot roller in an old Ricoh 551 (or it may have been a 1060/75) thinking that with the addition of a suitable handle, it would make a fearsome (possibly skull fracturing) cosh.

It's times like these that I start to wonder if maybe I am just a little too stressed?

but one of my buds from college (who is now an auto-mechanic) likes taking busted engine parts (destroyed pistons, bent con-rods) and making trophies out of them. His personal favorite is a connecting rod that managed to get thrown clear through the block of a (badly) modified Ford Focus, I suppose the combination of an aluminium block on a low displacement engine, driven pretty hard with not enough oil causes things like this to happen.

The part that made me laugh the most is when he told me that the customer's primary concern was not the fact that his engine was dead as dead can be, but the fact that he'd been badly humiliated as he was right in the middle of showing off to other tracksuited losers on a Sainsburys carpark, his engine blew up in a shower of flames, oil and smoke and they'd all (quite rightly) wet themselves laughing at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie1981 View Post
    Definitely nothing approaching that level, I remember last time a changed the hot roller in an old Ricoh 551 (or it may have been a 1060/75) thinking that with the addition of a suitable handle, it would make a fearsome (possibly skull fracturing) cosh.

It's times like these that I start to wonder if maybe I am just a little too stressed? ...
    And it makes a fearsome sound ... like an aluminum baseball bat. I've had the same thought.
    ... deep breaths ... that's better. =^..^=

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Using the cold crush fuser out of an ancient Canon NP125, I made a paper folding machine for my kids scout group to fold papers and pamphets. I used the same motor out of the machine to drive it. I used some of the gears out of the drive assembly to make a reduction drive. The paper folder worked very well. I threw the folding machine in the rubbish tip about 3 months ago as they no longer used it.

Using the loose fold document platenun covers off the same NP125. I cut the document cover in half and use them as mouse mats to this day. The single best mouse mat I have ever own. I'm now down to just one mouse mat instead of two as the kids lost one. My kids are still having to buy mouse mats,an offen steal mine to play their online games.

Out of old copier chain drives and gears I made a dual lamination turning machine that puts plastic coating over wood turning. The lamination machine turns the wood work around the axis for hours on end while the thick coating dries. If you fail to turn the job the thick coating just drips all over the work piece and it looks up the sh!t.

I've used various 2nd hand bearings,rollers and other shafts out of machines for miscellanious jobs.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Dang, B-CAT, here's the one on my desk at work. The only mod I've done to it is painting a couple of dots around the volume control so I know where it's set at. I keep it on all the time so my off switch is in pristine condition.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Amber gets tired of the radio she knows how to turn it off.
    Amber is a she? That's rather unusual for a red head cat.

Hans

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Back in the day when most of the motors in a copier were 120 VAC, I kept a stash of them that I had scavenged from machines heading for the graveyard.

I probably used 10 fans either around the house or in my camper in various locations.

I also built a screwdriver magnetizer using a 12 volt solenoid (sans plunger) - just put the end of the screwdriver in for a few seconds and it became very well magnetized.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The upper heat roller out of an old Lanier 6765 (Analog Toshiba 65ppm) makes an awesome rolling pin - It's even Teflon coated. A long wooden dowel rod is great for a handle, but not strictly necessary.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Amber is a she? That's rather unusual for a red head cat.

Hans
    She's a sweetie. She's got to help me with most everything. =^..^=

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I probably used 10 fans either around the house or in my camper in various locations.

I also built a screwdriver magnetizer using a 12 volt solenoid (sans plunger) - just put the end of the screwdriver in for a few seconds and it became very well magnetized.
    Ditto these!!! Also back in the day I took the fluid pumps out of Apeco Superstat's and used them for air pumps for the minow bucket. It was adjustable for the pressure also. Then I've used the slide rails from ricoh's for shelving slides..
    Mystic Crystal Revelations