Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Anybody know of "crooked techs"?

Re: Anybody know of "crooked techs"?

I've done plenty of work on the side over the years, but there are reasons and limits.

When my company first started doing computer and network maintenance I was very up front about the fact that I already was involved in that area, and if anything the company had a conflict of interest with me, not the other way around. They were muscling in on my turf, and I refused to sign a non-compete that had anything to do with my pre-existing activities. Non-compete on copiers was a different story - I've never moonlighted a copier, although I have fixed a few for charities where I donated my time. The goodwill factor has already been mentioned here.

Another factor is that my computer repairs don't cross into the territory where my company would be interested, or even competitive. I do people's home computers and such - the company won't touch small potatoes like that, and people won't pay the hourly rate we'd charge them. Even the local computer shops are half that price. On the flip side, a few accounts doing the kind of work my company is looking for would be a full time job, and I already got one... not interested in taking on anything that big, and we end up referring each other across that line.
    73 DE W5SSJ

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

When my company first started doing computer and network maintenance I was very up front about the fact that I already was involved in that area, and if anything the company had a conflict of interest with me, not the other way around. They were muscling in on my turf, and I refused to sign a non-compete that had anything to do with my pre-existing activities. Non-compete on copiers was a different story - I've never moonlighted a copier, although I have fixed a few for charities where I donated my time. The goodwill factor has already been mentioned here.
    I would not consider this as stealing from your company. You had informed them, you have kept the job offering separate- no harm, no foul.
    Last edited by ddude; 06-08-2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: i don't spel gud
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    That working on the side thing hasn't been touched on. I never did it, never will. Two reasons...

1 It is stealing from the boss.
    2 Customers are not to be trusted, they will rat you out.

Just more proof that I saw your integrity miles and miles ahead-Your many posts have colored you as a loyal, trusted tech who loves what you do and enjoys your day-to-day experiences!
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ddude View Post
    Just more proof that I saw your integrity miles and miles ahead-Your many posts have colored you as a loyal, trusted tech who loves what you do and enjoys your day-to-day experiences!

Thanks for the kind words friend.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking