Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Anybody know of "crooked techs"?

We all have those customers who trust us. They know nothing about thier equipment, because they have us. My best customers trust me. I know this because of them telling me to "fix it" and never asking how much it will be. Just last week when I saw John, he said "you did a great job on Chief's printer, but you didn't leave me a bill". "That's because the adjustment I made is something I should have done when I put the door on. you don't owe me anything." I could have made up a part name and given him a bill for 2 or 3 hundred dollars and he would have paid it. I did another one today for a regular. The printer would not print. Reason? Paper drawer guides not set properly. Again I could have made up anything, but told her, "Paper drawer not adjusted, I am not going to charge you for that". She would have paid whatever I said. There are so many times I could jack up the bill, and I do get paid by what I bring in, but to me people trusting me with their {taxpayer} money is like a badge of honor. I am sure there are many who can't resist the temptation. Have any of you known these techs? I was always of the opinion that if you do not lie, you do not have to remember what you said.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Anybody know of "crooked techs"?

I have a standing rule that I won't charge if I don't turn a screw or fix the machine. I know that eventually they will call me back and it will need parts.
    One of my competitors turns meters back on copiers, offers 5 year warranty (or 20K what ever comes first in fine print). Sell generic toner @ 5 times what I would sell OEM for and put used drums in color machines. They have changed their company name 4 times in 6 years so they are no longer liable for warranty work.

I get more repeat business because of my honesty and fair billing practices.

Karma is for real.

Service Manager 250+ Posts

My boss and I listed all the tech we have met that would and have cheated a customer.
    this took about 45 mins. Most of these type of techs have been run out of town.

Most of my customer are not brain dead and know BS when they hear it.
    If not it is my job to provide a good bs meter (patend pending).

Rob S

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

That's one reason I'm really glad that my company has never paid commissions on parts sold or work performed - it removes the temptation.

If spiffs were paid, we do have two techs who would probably see it as a way to fund their retirement accounts.

We do pay on qualified (and sold) leads for new MFPs, printers, network services, etc..., but those are things that the customer actually benefits from.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I have a normal one-to-one relationship with my customers.

The costing of my customers is by means directly proportional to their attitude. In the positive I charge no more, in the negative I charge no less. I'm nearly certain I speak for a large percentage of business practice when I say that.

It's a good thing in that I don't have too many bad customers....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I am a firm believer in Karma. I think this sums it up nicely:

cheap.jpg

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

There are basically two kinds of people reading this thread: the honest ones, and the dishonest ones.

The honest ones don't need any advise. For the dishonest ones, think about this: if you keep lying, overcharging and scamming your customers, they'll find out eventually and you'll lose them. It's hard to win a customer, it's 1000x harder to win a customer you've lost before.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I have a "first time is free" rule for most avoidable situations. If those cassette guides are not broken, yet out of position a second time, it's a half hour labor. If I have to install toner a second time 1/2 hour. If the same part is busted off a second time, it's parts cost plus 1/2 hour labor. Everybody get a chance to learn. I have very little patience for damage. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    We all have those customers who trust us. They know nothing about thier equipment, because they have us. My best customers trust me. I know this because of them telling me to "fix it" and never asking how much it will be. Just last week when I saw John, he said "you did a great job on Chief's printer, but you didn't leave me a bill". "That's because the adjustment I made is something I should have done when I put the door on. you don't owe me anything." I could have made up a part name and given him a bill for 2 or 3 hundred dollars and he would have paid it. I did another one today for a regular. The printer would not print. Reason? Paper drawer guides not set properly. Again I could have made up anything, but told her, "Paper drawer not adjusted, I am not going to charge you for that". She would have paid whatever I said. There are so many times I could jack up the bill, and I do get paid by what I bring in, but to me people trusting me with their {taxpayer} money is like a badge of honor. I am sure there are many who can't resist the temptation. Have any of you known these techs? I was always of the opinion that if you do not lie, you do not have to remember what you said.
    Keep in mind, however, that if you 'give away' a service that is to be chargeable, you are now cheating (or stealing from)your company. There are times when 'this one is on me' is good customer relations, but you need to be fair- to both parties-
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Most of our guys don't charge when they should because they can't be bothered doing the paper work, how ever the last service manager was fired when he was caught selling parts out the back door.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.