Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Shaking Toner Bottles

Years ago I was the lucky tech who got to clean up a hospital pharmacy department after an employee tried to shake a bottle of Ricoh toner with the black cap off. There wasn't a counter or desk in that pharmacy where if you swiped your finger it didn't come up black.

Technician
    Lol done something like this just once i was charging a sharp 137 toner unit

No one told me that they leak like hell

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

now that's an easy job to clean up.
    if you are familiar with the Ricoh 1105 / 2105, you know it takes 2 toner bottles.
    the client had light copies and it said that it was time to replace the toner bottle!!!
    they pulled out both bottles and determined which was the one to replace.
    they took both of the full bottles and shook them to " loosen up " the toner.
    they then placed them both back in the machine and started to make hundreds of copies.
    Both toner bottles blew at about the same time all over the inside of the machine and out the side and back panels.
    that cleanup job took 3 vacuum filters and a lot of patience and constraint to complete.
    I wish I had a phone with a camera back then...............................
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Shaking Toner Bottles

Anybody who's ever worked on one of those big Ricoh knows about the long tube and auger that transports toner from the hopper across and up the back of the machine. I had an AF850 (loooooong ago) where the tube became partially disconnected right around 5:00, and the customer had planned on working overtime for an important job that had to go out the next day.

Unfortunately for me either the machine still fed enough toner up the transport to keep running, or eventually the pile got high enough the auger could scrape it back into the tube. Either way the disaster was the same - customer put 5 bottles of toner into the blasted thing to get their job done, and "didn't know where it all went."

Yeah, right. Like they didn't see the gigantic black mountain spilling out of the back cover and from under the paper trays in front... or maybe wonder why tray 3 was full of it. Maybe they thought it was black cocaine and had been snorting it. I was tempted to grab a couple cans of air and blow out the machine...

It took me hours to pull it down, scoop out the worst, and vacuum every inch of it. It was utterly impossible to get it all, and I firmly believe that even from beyond the grave in whatever junkyard that poor beast now rests it still farts an occasional black cloud, or drools a couple squigglys of extra toner on the ground.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Shaking Toner Bottles

The days of liquid toner........Having a demo, sales colleague of mine was trying to show the customer how to thin toner concentrate with a few drops of dispersant but he forgot to put the valve back properly on the cartridge. During shaking hundreds of drops, large and small, flew around spraying all of us from top to feet. We where all looking like Dalmatians afterwards. Took me one full hour to recover from laughing cramps that this happened to that dumb ass arrogant sales guy.

Hans

BTW: We didn't got that sale ............
    Last edited by Hansoon; 06-16-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

A new toner bottle: $45

A call to Stanley Steamcleaners: $125

The fact that it was a Ricoh: Priceless

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Shaking Toner Bottles

It took me hours to pull it down, scoop out the worst, and vacuum every inch of it. It was utterly impossible to get it all, and I firmly believe that even from beyond the grave in whatever junkyard that poor beast now rests it still farts an occasional black cloud, or drools a couple squigglys of extra toner on the ground.
    Another classic...Thank you Shadow1!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar

This is common on the Ricoh's......I used to go through a vacuum filter every 3 weeks when I worked at Ricoh...lol
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Shaking Toner Bottles

Any confessions?

In all my years doing this job, I've only had two individuals confess to causing the problem. In my eyes those two gained a lot of my respect. Really, how cowardly is it to slink away with your blacked socks and shoelaces, and pretend that you don't know what happened?

"The part just fell on the floor ... "
    Sure. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    The days of liquid toner........Having a demo, sales colleague of mine was trying to show the customer how to thin toner concentrate with a few drops of dispersant but he forgot to put the valve back properly on the cartridge. During shaking hundreds of drops, large and small, flew around spraying all of us from top to feet. We where all looking like Dalmatians afterwards. Took me one full hour to recover from laughing cramps that this happened to that dumb ass arrogant sales guy.

Hans

BTW: We didn't got that sale ............

Liquid toner. My customer had a huge jug of it labeled "Savin" sitting next to the supply cabinet, across from my 2 Minolta copiers. It made me nervous. Every time I showed up over a 6 month period I ask them to throw it away or give it to me. They would not. One day I got a call for a toner code on the Minolta Di250. I go to pull the bottle and the liquid sloshes back and forth in the bottle. I turn and look and the Savin bottle is gone. I find it sitting in the trash can. I yell for the poc and start going off about the liquid in the machine. "And this is going to cost you at least $400 to fix." He goes to tell the commander. I hear him talk and then I hear the commander say "well if the wrong toner got put in the machine, the copy guy must have put it there". I could feel my face turning red with rage, but I contained myself. The commander walks over to me and ask how much it will cost to fix. "I don't think I could touch it for less than $750 sir". In America the tow truck drivers call that a temper charge. If you lose your temper with them because they tow your car, they can charge you more.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking