Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Formax Inserters

Formax Inserters

Do any of you guys work on inserters? We may be putting a Formax 6300 series inserter in a utilities office, and I just wondered if these are a pain to work on as I would be the tech for it (just like everything else).
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: Formax Inserters

We sell a different brand, and based on my experience, Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. All kidding aside, the couple I took apart {notice I didn't say worked on}, were a pain in the ass.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Yes have been working on them for almost 34 years
    Have serviced everything from small one to the big console inserters
    The most important thing is material, material, material

Customers will usually start out with good envelopes and then change to cheaper ones
    Usually find the envelopes are not glued well and will tend to pull apart as they are being separated or when the material is being inserted. Sometimes the widows are not glued well and cause same issue. Also the glue on flaps will be almost nonexistence and not sealing well. If they will let the vendor know they need envelopes for mechanical insertion it will help. Have to get the customer to understand the machine has to feed the envelope open the flap then insert material and then close and seal the flap.

The material to be inserted needs to be good quality.
    I have seen the paper curled so bad it will not lay flat. Have seen paper that is almost brittle from heat from what ever machine it was printed on. The customer will also decide to add an insert and it will either be very thin or very slick and cause problem with feeding.

Will also need a good operator or operators
    The operator must have the patience to make the necessary adjustment to machine.
    Some machines tend to be more operator friendly than others but they all need adjustments. Operator will need to understand that they can’t just load material and push start and walk away.

Pay close attention to the material specifications paper weight and size, insert weight and size, envelope weight and flap size and number of pages that can be inserted. In last few years more customers are going from a # 10 envelope with a tri-fold piece to a 6 by 9 with a half fold. Most customers do this so they can insert more pages in envelope and keep it under the ¼ inch thickness that USPS requires and it will still qualify as a letter and not a flat.

These machines will be like any other that moves paper will have normal ware and tear parts and PM parts. Like any other machine once you have some experience with them it gets easier.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I do the Formax line.

The previous post is spot on.

The highest end machine is a bit more lenient on what you put through it but the low to mid volume work best with OSSS and OSDS envelopes. I'll attach photos.

Many of the cheap bulk envelopes like staples or sams club has the #10 envelopes that go straight to a deep point on the flap...those are NOT good to use on inserters. You'll see from the photos that the flaps aren't that deep. Too deep of a flap will not clear the machine and jam.

The one on the left is OSDS (stands for open side, diagonal seam).

OSDS.gifosss envelope.jpg

rh112,

what lines are you dealing with? I haven't worked outside of the Formax line, any thoughts or comments.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

My company deals in FP mail systems and folder inserters. Have any of you worked on this product, the support is not that good. That would explain my comment. Sorry to be a smart ass and no help but my run in with these was with no manual and no training I was sent to work magic on one for a new customer they were courting. Factory had sent them a used demo machine. At the end of 6 quality hours with it, I sent it back to the factory for them to repair. Not getting a ticket on one of these is like dodging a bullet.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

I checked into FP before getting into the Formax line.

$20,000 opening order; but no price list was given. Call me crazy but I like to see price lists and other information before handing over that kind of dough.

I had heard they had problems years ago with a postal regulation update and their machines weren't in compliance for some time. Not sure if that was rumor or true.

One company I will NEVER go with is Rena. Terrible and rude people at that company. Never ever!

Not a big fan of Secap because of the handicap placed on them by Pitney Bowes (they own Secap).