Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    The Martha Stewart Thread

Re: The Martha Stewart Thread

Where I live, there's only one restaurant I know of that serves lobster (can't quite recall if Boston Pizza does or not), and they charge $50 for 2 tails... Coincidentally, hard drugs are cheaper, and easier to smuggle.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

read some article headline the other day that lobster is cheaper to buy right now than deli meat....
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kidaver View Post
    read some article headline the other day that lobster is cheaper to buy right now than deli meat....

A little research revealed the fact that lobster was once so common and thought so lowly of that it was considered "slave food" back when most of North America was still being developed... Jump forward 1-200 years and suddenly it costs an arm and a leg, even though populations haven't decreased to epidemic levels, and fishing operations have only expanded...

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by igi View Post
    Hi all
    Sushi for me, by far favorite

i even roll it myself at home

cheers
    generally this is called Bait.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

I do remember reading about this at one time....and I'd have to agree....roast beef sandwich on some toasted sourdough bread with muenster cheese and real mayo or some lobster....I'd take the sandwich any day...

Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    A little research revealed the fact that lobster was once so common and thought so lowly of that it was considered "slave food" back when most of North America was still being developed... Jump forward 1-200 years and suddenly it costs an arm and a leg, even though populations haven't decreased to epidemic levels, and fishing operations have only expanded...
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

I do remember reading about this at one time....and I'd have to agree....roast beef sandwich on some toasted sourdough bread with muenster cheese and real mayo or some lobster....I'd take the sandwich any day...
    As a personal rule, I generally refrain from trying new things unless I have a group of people with me all trying something new, or unless someone else is paying for it. That being said, I haven't ever tried sourdough bread, though I keep hearing people talk about it and see it everywhere now, I may just yet try it.

I can't keep anything with mayo down, my body just rejects it. Whether I know it's there or not, my stomach refuses to keep it down. The rest of that sandwich sounds good however...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Actually a few years ago Lobsters were at their lowest. Fishermen were getting about a buck a pound for them. They said that fishermen were actually losing money on them till they figured gas for the boat and bait for in their traps.

Little info on how the lobster trade works: guys on boats lay traps to catch lobsters. Middlemen (useless and one reason for higher lobster prices) act as brokers and either match the fishermen with the distributors or with the restaurants. So if a fisherman was getting $2.50/pound, maybe the middleman would sell them to the restaurant for $5/pound and the restaurant would steam or grill them and sell them for $20-$30.

It got so bad for the fisherman that they said many of them would stand on the sides of the roads and sell their lobsters.

If I had a tanker truck I'd drive up to main and get a truckload full. For me, lobster is nice but there's other things I enjoy much better...like raw yellowtail.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Lobster Roll from Red Eats (Maine). Because some things should be eaten outside. Yes it is an entire lobster in a sandwich.
    Attachment 16494

not fair
    you just made me drool over my keyboard

cheers

Sourdough bread is the main reason that when I want a deli sandwich I go to Schlotzkey's.....they make some of the best sandwiches out there for a chain store deli...

Sourdough bread is the main reason that when I want a deli sandwich I go to Schlotzkey's.....they make some of the best sandwiches out there for a chain store deli...
    Nothing of the sort here. Home made or Quizno's/Subway. Both run by Indians (not Natives) and not up to the greatest standards...