Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Funniest Customer Story

Quote Originally Posted by mjunkaged View Post
    Then there was the one in a psychiatric ward where the doctors (NOT the paitients) thought it would be great to put colors into random bottles into their 4-color(one color/pass at a time) Toshiba BD-8412.
    What color makes brownish-purple, guys???? I still don't know, either!!
    Not sure about Toshiba but the waste toner of Sharp's color machines is brownish-purple.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Funniest Customer Story

I call them TRADE-INS. They traded their common sense in for a Degree.
    Why do they call it common sense?
    If it were common, every one would have it.
    They need to start calling it the gift of sense.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

We cannot help but overhear some office conversation while we are servicing a machine. I was at a doctors office and overheard the girls complaining about how cold it always was in the office, that the A/C always was running. I was standing in front of the copier, looking right at the thermostat for the office right above the fuser exhaust fan. I explained the situation, (150 degree+ air into the thermostat) and they could a) move the copier, b) move the thermostat, or c) continue to freeze and pay the high electric bills. Sometimes the problem is hiding in plain sight

mjarbar
    Recently did a call at a school for a jamming problem on an iR3300. After doing the usual to recreate what the customer was doing the machine jammed - fair enougth there is a problem - opened up the side of the machine and examined the feed rollers in the cassette area and indeed they were dirty and the cassette rollers were almost past it.

After cleaning the rollers I retested the machine and once again it jammed out of the cassette - Deep sigh back to problem!!!

So decided to replace the feed, sep and pick up rollers as I thought OK the clean didn't work and they were on their last legs anyway - retest - jammed - WTF!!!!!

After much prodding and poking managed to find the source of the problem - dried fruit stuck in paper feed path!!! Somehow, someone had managed to drop it in the machine which had then worked its way to the cassette and then to the paper feed path lodging betwen two plates between the cassette feed and the vertical path.

I don't know who was more shocked - me for finding it (I think it was an apricot) or the teacher who's office it was in!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Funniest Customer Story

more connectivity related, but a pleasure to read, enjoy:

Not too long ago, there was a small furor in the local media about a major disaster at The State's Technology Services Division. The details were a bit sketchy – mostly because The State was “unable to comment on an ongoing investigation” – but what was reported was that, for two full days, employees of The State were unable to logon to their computers or access email, and that this caused business within The State to grind to a halt.
    As the “investigation” carried on, the media lost interest in the story and moved on to more newsworthy stories like who Paris Hilton was partying with last weekend. Fortunately for us, a certain employee of The State named J.N. works in the Technology Services Division and decided to share what really was behind those fateful days.
    When employees of The State came in to work following a three day weekend, they found their workstations overloaded with "cannot logon" and "Exchange communication" error messages. The Network Services folks had it even worse: the server room was a sweltering 109° Fahrenheit and filled with dead or dying servers.
    At first, everyone had assumed that the Primary A/C, the Secondary A/C, and the Tertiary A/C had all managed to fail at once. But after cycling the power, the A/Cs all fired up and brought the room back to a cool 64°. At the time, the “why” wasn’t so important: the network administrators had to figure out how to bring online the four Exchange Services, six Domain Controllers, a few Sun servers, and the entire State Tax Commission’s server farm. Out of all of the downed servers, those were the only ones that did not come back to life upon a restart.
    They worked day and night to order new equipment, build new servers, and restore everything from back-up. Countless overtime hours and nearly two hundred thousand dollars in equipment costs later, they managed to bring everything back online. When the Exchange servers were finally restored, the following email finally made its way to everyone's inbox, conveniently answering the “why”
    To: IT Department
    Re: A/C constantly running.

To whom it may concern,

I came in today (Monday) to finish up a project I was working
    on before our big meeting with the State ----- Commission tomorrow,
    and I noticed that there were three or four large air conditioners
    running the entire time I was here. Since it's a three day weekend,
    no one is around, why do we need to have the A/C running 24/7?

With all the power that all those big computers in that room use, I
    doubt it is really eco-friendly to run those big units at the same
    time. And all computers have cooling fans anyway, so why put the A/C
    for the building in that room?

I got a keycard from [the facility manager’s] desk and shut off the
    A/C units. I'm sure you guys can deal with it being warm for an hour
    or two when you come in tomorrow morning.

In the future, let's try to be a little more conscientious of our
    energy usage!

Thanks,
    -----
    As for the employee who sent it, he decided to take an early retirement.

Original found here:
    dau jones | DAU-Erlebnis Nr. 11244 | 9747 DAU Erlebnisse vom Dmmsten Anzunehmenden User | Top 10 | Sounds | Witzige Bilder | Sprche von D.A.U.S | Dummheiten und Bldheiten am Computer | DAUjones.com
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

LMAO
    Thanks for the lulz

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Herrmann's story reminds me of the server room that had all of the power wired through the main light switch at the front door. Last man out would hit the switch and crash everything.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Herrmann's story reminds me of the server room that had all of the power wired through the main light switch at the front door. Last man out would hit the switch and crash everything.
    BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Funniest Customer Story

Almost as bad as wiring an outlet on the other side of the wall to to the server room and plugging the copier into it. Its the only time I ever accidentally shorted anything in a machine and blew a breaker - and it had to be the same one their PDC, Router, and Exchange server was running on
    73 DE W5SSJ

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Funniest Customer Story

At the time this was one of my larger customers, an insurance provider. I knew the IT manager pretty well since we would frequently cross paths, on average three visits a week on the several machines.

I don't remember exactly how it started, but I watched as my friend got more and more harried. He would just get the server up and running, and it would crash, requiring many hours to restore. At the end of two weeks he was very miserable, and had slept little. In his delerium he bumped into the main server, and knocked onto the floor one of those plastic file folder holders that attach with four large magnets. After that it got a whole lot better.

It seems that a supervisor was irritated by the disorganized state of the server room and had installed one of these file folder holders on the only magnetic surface in the server room: the server. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=