24 51.06%
  • Romney / Ryan

23 48.94%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Who is GOING TO WIN the US Presidential Election

Re: Who is GOING TO WIN the US Presidential Election

Quote Originally Posted by Kidaver View Post
    So why is having an ID for voting so bad when you already have an ID for everything else.
    See Below but more importantly, because driving and buying beer are privileges, voting is your Right and government BS should never infringe on your Right to vote. I don't hear the second amendment crowd throwing a shit-fit demanding ID check for firearm transactions, nope just the voting thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MR Bill View Post
    Voter suprression? You mean it's so hard to get to a Motor vehicle office and get some form of I.D. ?? Please , no one wants to take someone right to vote away. They just want to make sure you are who you say you are. Resonable isn't it.?

Yes, there are people who wan't to prevent large blocks of people from voting. If you're going to deny that you can stop reading now.

FACT: Voter ID Laws disproportionately effect poor and urban voters (who are more likely to vote Democratic), they are designed to do that and that is what they do. It's not about preventing voter fraud, it's about preventing votes from certain demographics. That is why after passing a new voter ID law the Pennsylvania House Majority Leader Mike Turzai (R) said, "Voter ID is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania".

This is how it works, poor urban voters are less likely to have drivers licences or other form of accepted government ID. They are also less likely to have the documentation needed to easily obtain these forms of ID and since it cost money to obtain certified copies of whatever documentation they need the voter ends up not voting. This isn't some stuff I'm just making up, this it how and why it's done.
    There is also a precedent in law that has said that a requirement to purchase an ID from the government to be able to vote amounts to a Poll Tax and Poll Taxes are illegal in the US. Voter ID Laws have nothing to do with preventing voter fraud, if voter fraud was rampant you could probably find me the names of 10 people that were convicted of voter fraud but you can't because there aren't, it is all a ruse to prevent voting.

If the Republitards were willing to do anything other than spend all their time getting Obama out of office than maybe they wouldn't be a party in shambles on it way to becoming the Whig party of the 21st Century.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HenryT2 View Post
    ...buy your own insurance, pay into a retirement program WITH YOUR OWN MONEY ( NOT MINE )
    Sounds great until some big bank asshole crushes the economy and your retirement is worth 25% of what it was yesterday and two weeks later your health insurance company drops you because you're older and cost too much to maintain. Where you gonna go then, nowhere, because you're fucked.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Well hell ctl-alt-del , we are paying for poor folks welfare, health insureance, rent,etc. I don't want to be niggardly about it. We might as well pay for there I.D. card also. I'd be all for that. And lets pay for there taxi ride too so they can get to the DMV.. The last thing I would want to do is make it too hard for them to get a ID card. I just think it's a good idea to know who is voting.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Well hell ctl-alt-del , we are paying for poor folks welfare, health insureance, rent,etc. I don't want to be niggardly about it. We might as well pay for there I.D. card also. I'd be all for that. And lets pay for there taxi ride too so they can get to the DMV.. The last thing I would want to do is make it too hard for them to get a ID card. I just think it's a good idea to know who is voting.
    If you want to know who is voting you can keep doing stuff the way it has been done for years with what is statistically zero voter fraud. If you want to keep people from voting you can keep making "voter ID laws". Your comments about free taxi rides and rent may distract some of your fellow republican voters but facts are facts.

ctl-alt-del

2nd amendment crowd having a fit about firearm transactions?? You do have to show ID. And go throu a background check. There is a 3 day waiting period to purchase a handgun so they can check you out to make sure you are not a convicted felon. There are a # of other things they check. Sometimes it is a 5 day waiting period. But you have to PROVE who you are.

Needs to be the same way for voting. Prove who you are. Sorry but we just don't agree.

copiertech 500+ Posts

Wow. Right wing fear mongering is alive and well in the US. Your concern that voters are commiting election fraud is misplaced. Look to your political partys and you will see real fraud.
    Bush did it twice and didn't even try to hide it.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Well with unemployment over 8 %
    It was into the mis 9s when W left office, so it's come down. And you're saying this is a bad thing?

Who is going to pay for his health care plan anyway.
    The same people who pay for the indigent to go to ERs, at the inflated emergency rate. Get these people treated in a non-emergent fashion and it will be much more affordable.

I'm thinking
    No, you're not.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” (Isaac Asimov)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

ctl-alt-del

2nd amendment crowd having a fit about firearm transactions?? You do have to show ID. And go throu a background check. There is a 3 day waiting period to purchase a handgun so they can check you out to make sure you are not a convicted felon. There are a # of other things they check. Sometimes it is a 5 day waiting period. But you have to PROVE who you are.

One again the Right is wrong. As a Washington State resident you should know that there are NO ID or reporting requirements involved with private sales of firearms in the state of Washington but there is a voulentary form you can mail in if you really feel the need to. Also, Washington State has made no effort to close the "Gun Show Loophole" which you could probably lookup online sometime if you ever wanted to know the actual facts.

My goodness hemlock. Just keep insulting me. Tell me I'm not thinking. We can have different views but why dis me.

Suppressing the vote.??

Obama has filed a lawsuit against the state of Ohio regarding a law that allows military personal to vote early, in person,up until the day before the election. The lawsuit filed in federal court would block an Ohio law allowing members of the armed forces a few extra days to cast thier ballots. Fifteen nonpartisan veterans groups have opposed the suit.Ohio just happens to be an important swing state.

Oh, and most military personal vote which way.??

Unempolyment at 8 percent plus . I didn't say it was a bad thing. Obama did. Gee .

And When I wanted to purchase a handgun I went to a gun shop and filled out a form with about 8 questions on it. I had to wait 3 plus days .

I am not talking about gun shows. Stop spinning will you.

Why did you start this topic anyway. Just bored and looking to mess with people.