Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Tech Dream

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Tech Dream

Tech Dream

Why don't manufacturers have a course anyone could take that would give you license to buy parts?

That way, dealers could focus on selling while still maintaining a competitive service team. Or just sell it without a service contract.

It would also give techs the option of working with an authorized dealer, a small repair shop, or going independent.

How is that any different than a car guy working for a Ford dealership, or the corner mechanic?

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

Re: Tech Dream

that sounds like a very good idea.....
    however;

Here in North America doing the "job" of a copier service technician is not a recognized trade.
    North American manufacturers and dealers would never let something like that happen.
    The first order of business would be to develop a "Technicians Association", acquire lots and lots of financial
    backing to pay for lobbyists to content with bureaucrats and politicians that have the power to
    deem our chosen form of employment as a recognized trade.

When that happens in about 40 years maybe then as a "Certified Office Equipment Technician", the manufacturers
    would take a look at licensing a technician to purchase parts from them on behalf of a "Certified Dealer" or,
    as an "Accredited Independent Service Provider"

Yes its a nice dream to have
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Tech Dream

If we somehow call copiers appliances or computers or robotics, perhaps we could join that association.

Point taken, though.

copiers fit in to mechanical, electrical, electronic and computerization.
    each of those categories in them selves are recognized in one form or another.
    put them all together and you have a photo copier that any one off the street should be able to service and repair.
    it takes someone with the mind set of the combined above mentioned categories to work on the equipment that we do.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Tech Dream

You seem convinced that this a matter of offical-legal "trade" status, and I am not doubting that truth.

But I am not so sure that a copier manufacturer cannot, under some jurisdiction, supply parts and intellectual property to techs deemed qualified.

For instance, an "authorized dealer" isn't dragged through court, or backed by lobbyists to get that title. It's a matter of pay for play between two private entities. Where the dealer may need to prove this and that, so would an "authorized technician"

when a tech completes a manufacturers course on any given machine, they become authorized to service that equipment.
    I think it would be a good thing that Technicians should be able to purchase parts for machines they are trained on.
    tie it in to the dealer, they can't get parts unless they have trained technicians.
    should a technician leave the employment of a dealer, their Technician ID with the manufacturer goes with them and not controlled by the dealer.
    the dealer should only have the ability to purchase consumables and whole machines provided they have trained certified techs.
    as an independent myself, I require the dealer to provide parts and manuals for the machines serviced.
    I would like to have the ability to purchase parts to service the machines I cover.
    then billing the client becomes a totaly different matter.

Tech Dream

The Genuine Imitation 3rd Part Parts Vendors would have a field day with this...
    73 DE W5SSJ