Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Glad CTN is working. Terrorist took down Godaddy and all my websites and service

Hmm...I hope the people "protecting" society have a different opinion...

...back when I used to work in government I dealt with utility companies, in particular...power companies...

It would be difficult and tricky, but theoretically possible for one person with a computer to shut down a power exchange grid (a semi-central power exchange facility) used by member power companies to transport power from major regions across the country. Think of them as a facilitator of supply and demand for all power. If one of those shut down, all power in a third of the USA or greater would be cut off...that's pretty significant.

Or, theoretically one person with one computer could shut down the computers that monitor and control the cooling systems in a nuclear reactor power plant that could cause a meltdown and kill or permanently harm everyone in a 60 mile or greater radius and pollute the area for decades...

Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    Blowing it up with exaggeration is different than blowing yourself up in the name of an invisible friend and lots and lots of bad sex.

Re: Glad CTN is working. Terrorist took down Godaddy and all my websites and service

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion but just because something happened a few years ago and a few people are sensitive over it doesn't mean I'm going to shut up and hide the fact that these new "cyber-terrorists" are actually terrorists.

So speak for yourself...

You may want to do some research into some of the cool new developments in aircraft technology...if "9/11" had happened at some point in the not too distant future; the terrorists probably wouldn't have even needed to be on the plane. They could have most likely "hijacked" it via a remote computer in the comfort of their own little hideaway in their pajamas.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    Cyber crime is serious, it can cripple business, identity theft is rampant and even our military installations are on watch.

But, on 9/11 no one wants to hear about your damn website being knocked offline by "terrorists".

mjarbar

From what i have read the GoDaddy problem wasn't a DoS attack which for those amount of site would have been a huge undertaking but a DNS attack which was much easier as GoDaddy only have a few DNS addreses with which to work with.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Glad CTN is working.  Terrorist took down Godaddy and all my websites and services!

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    Hmm...I hope the people "protecting" society have a different opinion...

...back when I used to work in government I dealt with utility companies, in particular...power companies...

It would be difficult and tricky, but theoretically possible for one person with a computer to shut down a power exchange grid (a semi-central power exchange facility) used by member power companies to transport power from major regions across the country. Think of them as a facilitator of supply and demand for all power. If one of those shut down, all power in a third of the USA or greater would be cut off...that's pretty significant.

Or, theoretically one person with one computer could shut down the computers that monitor and control the cooling systems in a nuclear reactor power plant that could cause a meltdown and kill or permanently harm everyone in a 60 mile or greater radius and pollute the area for decades...
    It's happened before, a disgruntled IT employee leaving a back door open in the network and using it to hold the company hostage. Nothing new in this sense.
    As I said, terrorism would imply a purpose, this was just some angry douche nozzle who wanted to get back at GoDaddy for their crappy service, and repeat attacks rather than a 1 off incident, or maybe GoDaddy just had a small network problem like they said.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Glad CTN is working.  Terrorist took down Godaddy and all my websites and services!

Quote Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
    since migrating Copytechnet to our new server we have been online for 50 days, 8 hours and 2 minutes without a crash, lockup, or loss of data which is way better than Go Daddy can say.
    That is much better than back in July when the site wouldn't stay up for more than 2 hours, 8 minutes, and 50 seconds.

I think I did see a documentary on that back door thing...it is a little unnerving. But then again I'm about 30 miles from three mile island so that's always in the back of my mind.

For the benefit of those too young to remember or outside the USA:

Three Mile Island accident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

--------------

CTN has been very nice and stable. To Aneyeurism...I got the PM and we may put our blog and vbulletin stuff eventually on that provider...we're not ready yet...do we have to just mention CTN or actually click a link or something else so you get credit for the referral?