Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    The life of a country field tech.

Re: The life of a country field tech.

Try NYC sometime! It's a jungle. Park my car at queens, take the LIRR to Atlantic center, dodge the bums and thugs, take the number six to Bowling Green station, walk three blocks through urine and vomit to Broadway, stop for a pretzel at street vendor, take the elevator to the 33rd floor. Then take the 6 to Herald Square, walk the two blocks to Penn. Do a call at Seventh Avenue. Have a slice at Angelos. Take the A to Wall Street, take the subway to Atlantic center, to Lirr back to car. On the way back, do three calls then Drive 40 miles on the southern state in two hours back to my country club estate on Long Island in time for 8 o'clock dinner.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    Try NYC sometime! It's a jungle. Park my car at queens, take the LIRR to Atlantic center, dodge the bums and thugs, take the number six to Bowling Green station, walk three blocks through urine and vomit to Broadway, stop for a pretzel at street vendor, take the elevator to the 33rd floor. Then take the 6 to Herald Square, walk the two blocks to Penn. Do a call at Seventh Avenue. Have a slice at Angelos. Take the A to Wall Street, take the subway to Atlantic center, to Lirr back to car. On the way back, do three calls then Drive 40 miles on the southern state in two hours back to my country club estate on Long Island in time for 8 o'clock dinner.
    That doesn't sound so horrible... I have to drive 8 hours to get a giant pretzel.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    No offense Jude, but there is no amount of money that would get me to live there and do what you do. I'll stick with my 100 mile drives in the country to clean someones optics.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Yes Jude. You can have the big city . I did calls in Seattle , Wash. lots of times. Not near as bad as NY city. But bad enough. I'm now over on the other side of the state. Drive 90 miles sometimes. Great mountains , rivers and trees too . My problem is trying not to have a deer jump on my windsheild or me driving off the road cause I'm watching eagles .

And yes, the snakes ?? Depends on which ones I guess. Most snakes eat mice and other rodents. I leave them alone and they leave me alone. I love spiders too.

Have a nice drive everyone.

Ok, so we have to travel deep into the Boreal Forests of Mid-Northern Canada. In summer we have to take a 2 hour open fairy on a lake, in winter you get ice roads. You drive 2 hours to travel 150kms and then you drive another hour to travel 10kms on ice. Dodging the volcano like ice heaves where water is spewing out or the ponds that the Highway department make by drilling holes in order to add a new layer of ice on the 'road' to make it stronger. Then up on a cleared, but not gravel or paved road, which is only a road because it is frozen solid with snow on it. There are random left overs of the cleared brush and trees on it that you have to miss. This is all without mentioning the 2-3 foot high random ice heaves in the permafrost. Best to take those incredibly slow. Finally you made it to the remote reserve out in the middle of absolutely nothing and you fix their machine and head out.

At least it is an exciting trip, can't fall asleep, there is to much to pay attention too. And don't forget the random moose who figure your there to fight them for the females and decides to run at you, and realizes what you are just in time to dart back into the woods. EEEK.

Oh and then there is the crazy salesman drifting around the ice corner laughing maniacally , as your white knuckles start cracking from being chapped by the cold of winter and the interior pressure of your heart beating faster than when you run 100m sprint.

That is the life of a Wilderness Tech...

And what if you vehicle breaks down...There is no one coming or going...you'd better bring your extreme winter survival gear.

-40C or -40F is not oncommon and usually -10 to -25 windchill added on....BRRRRR...chills me just thinking about it

On every road going out of town

This is exactly waht the roads look like

And the What if keep coming....
    What's Brown and Sticky?

-A Stick

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts DWise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PASTech View Post
    Ok, so we have to travel deep into the Boreal Forests of Mid-Northern Canada. In summer we have to take a 2 hour open fairy on a lake, in winter you get ice roads. You drive 2 hours to travel 150kms and then you drive another hour to travel 10kms on ice. Dodging the volcano like ice heaves where water is spewing out or the ponds that the Highway department make by drilling holes in order to add a new layer of ice on the 'road' to make it stronger. Then up on a cleared, but not gravel or paved road, which is only a road because it is frozen solid with snow on it. There are random left overs of the cleared brush and trees on it that you have to miss. This is all without mentioning the 2-3 foot high random ice heaves in the permafrost. Best to take those incredibly slow. Finally you made it to the remote reserve out in the middle of absolutely nothing and you fix their machine and head out.

At least it is an exciting trip, can't fall asleep, there is to much to pay attention too. And don't forget the random moose who figure your there to fight them for the females and decides to run at you, and realizes what you are just in time to dart back into the woods. EEEK.

Oh and then there is the crazy salesman drifting around the ice corner laughing maniacally , as your white knuckles start cracking from being chapped by the cold of winter and the interior pressure of your heart beating faster than when you run 100m sprint.

And what if you vehicle breaks down...There is no one coming or going...you'd better bring your extreme winter survival gear.

-40C or -40F is not oncommon and usually -10 to -25 windchill added on....BRRRRR...chills me just thinking about it

PASTech... you do not get paid enough! That's intense!
    Do for one what you wished you could do for everyone. - Andy Stanley

It's life, pay or no pay...I do what I can to live

They got me a good size 4 -wheel drive 305 horse power Chevy express cargo van...I think they did that so I have an emergency 'house' in the back to live in...
    What's Brown and Sticky?

-A Stick

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DWise View Post
    PASTech... you do not get paid enough! That's intense!
    Yeah, those roads are definitely not fun to drive on. I've never done it until I started here, and I can't say I disagree with this statement sometimes. I think we're paid well enough for where we are, but for some of these things that would make ordinary people cringe I can't say I wouldn't mind a hazard pay bonus sometimes...
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PASTech View Post

Kinda reminds me of Grand Forks North Dakota, land of snow snakes and ice mice, tree removal project and mountain move complete. Spent ten years there with the USAF! Not near as cold though you betcha!

Well lets just take Grand Forks and go North for about 1000kms to a little City in Manitoba, Canada call Thompson and then look around onGoogle maps...that whole are of Northern Manitoba is our service area....Thankfully we don't go beyond the tree line, where it is too cold for them to grow. It gets even more freezing from there north.
    What's Brown and Sticky?

-A Stick