Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS

Technician

GPS

How many of you are under the GPS eye?

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: GPS

No, never. If they don't trust you, they shouldn't hire you.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Yep. Tied into our hand held computer since we do not have company cars.

Trusted Tech 250+ Posts Athlontini's Avatar

Some of us do, depending on the team/supervisor. Fingers crossed that it won't spread.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

The company I used to work for started this on us, with our personal vehicles, most of us did not like it, some were in-different about it, we were told it was to save money on expense checks and track milage better, and call routing, ect.
    Well that was the final straw for me, I had something in the works and when it came up I took the offer and changed jobs, still doing the same thing, smaller company, just 2 of us out there, no miles to record, its a flat rate, it all evens out though, I was able to get back to using a truck again, always did like a truck, traded in my 4 runner for a Tundra.
    The office was kinda surprised when I turned in my notice, when asked why, told them was not fun any more here, and I needed a change.
    Sorry for the book, but on GPS, if you can avoid it, do so, if they dont trust you, you may want to re-think working for them.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

My largest competitor makes his employees clock out to go through a bank drive through. I think about stuff like this when I think about wanting a different job.

Recent phone conversation.
    boss lady... Where are you?
    me...I am at Sears
    boss lady what are you doing there?
    me... looking at screwdrivers [ps, they still look the same]
    boss lady...Oh, when you are done I need you to look at a fax machine
    me... no problem

Working in a relaxed place is great.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    GPS

No GPS here, it's nice to have the ability to stop in and make a bank deposit on a slow day without fear of Big Brother watching me...
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts

Not currently tracked... but if the rumour mill is to be believed then it's in the pipeline.

In another job fixing domestic goods before getting into office equipment I was tracked. It was before the ubiquity of consumer GPS devices so we had vehicle trackers based on cellphone tracking (not the actual work cellphone I made calls on, as I understand there was a limited function "phone" built into the tracker unit that sent a text message every time the engine was stopped and started and the position was triangulated by the distances from the surrounding cellphone masts)

The biggest laugh was all the bulls*it we were told before they were fitted, that they were there for our "safety" as lone workers. Unsurprisingly, that wasn't what they were primarily used for...

Firstly, as this was a more primitive and (dare I suggest it) cheaper version of vehicle tracking. It was absolutely f*cking useless. As you can imagine it worked best in urban areas with lots of masts and good signal coverage, it was when you ventured out into the country where the phone signal gets patchy that the thing really crapped the bed.

Now bearing in mind what I was driving at work was one of these

Mercedes-Benz TN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 1989 (I think, G-reg if I remember right) Mercedes Benz TN 208D, a particularly beat up example of with a 2.3 litre non-turbo diesel engine producing an awe-inspiring 79bhp (when new). I don't know if Mercedes produce commercial vehicles for the States, but if they don't, jettison any ideas you have of this being a luxury vehicle, it was about as basic as transport gets, glacially slow with horrendously heavy non-power assisted steering and a gearchange that was like stirring a box of bricks (also reverse gear was where you expect to find first on practically every other manual gearbox in the world!!).

So imagine my surprise when a furious senior manager turns up to tear me a new arsehole for speeding. Apparently the box of tricks in the van had recorded me going at 130mph through a built up area.

I imagine my face was a picture, my immediate boss at the time decided to take him into the side office and have a quiet word with him, subtly suggesting that the only way you could get that van to do more than 60mph empty was to push it off a cliff.

Apparently weird things happen when the tracker could only contact one or two masts, it ideally needs three or more thus making a triangle to triangulate you and as masts appear and disappear, so does your virtual position on the map moving you many virtual miles in a blink of an eye. Also I learnt that to become a senior manager at this particular company, you don't need to be diplomatic or particularly intelligent as this particular specimen didn't suck it up and apologise, he shot me the stink eye, grabbed his stuff and left.

I also learned what vehicle/employee trackers are really for. Seriously, it's the thin end of the wedge to the point where they want to dock your pay every time you go for a piss.

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

No Way, No How, Not Going to Happen.

I have always used my own vehicle and started using my own phone as well.
    If some one wants to track me, good luck is all I have to say to them.

I'll put their GPS Tracker on a delivery truck and see what they think about it.....

an honest, and trustworthy company will not feel the need to track their techs.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

A total invasion of privacy. Period.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins