Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jimbo1's Avatar

Re: Hey folks, you remember common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    I find it funny when they tell something that Hitler/Stalin/Mao/Saddam/Osama used to do is bad just because they used to do it. Sure, they were all dictators and they did tremendous bad things, but they also used to eat, and drink, and breathe - where's the numbnuts telling me I shouldn't eat, drink or breathe because Hitler did it?
    There's not. Everybody eats, sleeps, and drinks.
    Everybody does not use propaganda tactics to convince the masses to disarm themselves.
    "Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."

Cdr. William Riker

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

The picture is one of those items that makes you not want to stop reading. As soon as you see it, you know where the article is going and you loose all of your credibility in the first half second, without reading a single word.

As to the content; legislation and banning assault rifles will not solve the problem. If there is a market for it, it can and will be obtained.
    If the last three incidents were perpetrated with a broadsword, there would be legislation proposed banning broadsword and blacksmiths.
    We have too many laws as it is. Situations that should be regulated, are not and vice-verse. Laws cannot address the mental defects of an individual.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    The picture is one of those items that makes you not want to stop reading. As soon as you see it, you know where the article is going and you loose all of your credibility in the first half second, without reading a single word.

As to the content; legislation and banning assault rifles will not solve the problem. If there is a market for it, it can and will be obtained.
    If the last three incidents were perpetrated with a broadsword, there would be legislation proposed banning broadsword and blacksmiths.
    We have too many laws as it is. Situations that should be regulated, are not and vice-verse. Laws cannot address the mental defects of an individual.

The picture.........
    Folks that is what happened. Like it or don't like it I used the picture so people could see that. I do not......repeat do not....apologize for it. Now I don't know whether you are bothered because he is your guy and the people who voted for him usually try to pin the Hitler tail on the GOP and not the donkey but he did EXACTLY the same thing Barack did before he banned guns. The truth hurts but that is why and only why I used that picture. As for legislation there are all sorts of crimes that go on like that all the time and no...no one proposes legislation against it.

Cdr. William Riker

mjarbar
    As someone living in the UK where firearms are not an everyday occurance, I will not pretend to understand the ins and outs of the gun control debate.

What I will say is that while I do see a need for something like a handgun - for protection say. I fail to see a ligitamate reason for someone owning an assult rifle. You can't hunt with it and unless you are in the armed forces in a war zone you don't need one.

The right to bare arms may be a courner stone of the law, but it was written when there was a need for it and firearms technology didn't even invisage a machine gun.

My questions are:
    1: Is it time to take note that tech is outpacing human nature to properly control ourselves and so place limits to protect society?

2: Is it time to change view point and say unless there is a valid reason for needing one, should it be illegal to have one - like the UK's shotgun laws?

Your thoughts?

copiertech 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1 View Post
    There's not. Everybody eats, sleeps, and drinks.
    Everybody does not use propaganda tactics to convince the masses to disarm themselves.
    And, yet, here you are using propaganda to convince people that having a gun will solve all of lifes problems. lol
    Kinda funny when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mjarbar View Post
    As someone living in the UK where firearms are not an everyday occurance, I will not pretend to understand the ins and outs of the gun control debate.

What I will say is that while I do see a need for something like a handgun - for protection say. I fail to see a ligitamate reason for someone owning an assult rifle. You can't hunt with it and unless you are in the armed forces in a war zone you don't need one.

The right to bare arms may be a courner stone of the law, but it was written when there was a need for it and firearms technology didn't even invisage a machine gun.

My questions are:
    1: Is it time to take note that tech is outpacing human nature to properly control ourselves and so place limits to protect society?

2: Is it time to change view point and say unless there is a valid reason for needing one, should it be illegal to have one - like the UK's shotgun laws?

Your thoughts?
    What is an assault rifle?

Cdr. William Riker

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    And, yet, here you are using propaganda to convince people that having a gun will solve all of lifes problems. lol
    Kinda funny when you think about it.
    Show me where I said that. Twisting words are we?
    And aren't you Canadian? You don't have a voice in the US end of this.

Cdr. William Riker

copiertech 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1 View Post
    Show me where I said that. Twisting words are we?
    And aren't you Canadian? You don't have a voice in the US end of this.
    Yup, Canadian. Don't own a gun, don't need a gun. Just trying to be a voice of reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    Yup, Canadian. Don't own a gun, don't need a gun. Just trying to be a voice of reason.
    Why is it unreasonable to point out the mistakes of others in the past?
    Unless you think Hitler and Stalin were voices of reason?

Cdr. William Riker

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mjarbar View Post

My questions are:

Your thoughts?
    You can't hunt with an assault rifle? Are you sure? My time in the Reserves makes it look like an assault rifle would actually work pretty well for that. Maybe it wouldn't work really that good on full auto, that's kind of like a shotgun except the projectiles come out in a linear fashion rather than all at once with the shot pattern of actual shotguns. Still, a semiautomatic should work nicely, I would think.