Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    copiertech 500+ Posts

Re: Hey folks, you remember common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1 View Post
    Why is it unreasonable to point out the mistakes of others in the past?
    Unless you think Hitler and Stalin were voices of reason?
    I think if you were to check your facts you would come across the truth. There was a restrictive gun law already in place many years before Hitler even came to power.
    It seems it isn't only evil dictators think it is a good idea to have some gun control.

mjarbar

What is an assault rifle?
    I was using it as a term akin to the M4. i.e. A rifle with a protruding hand grip with the option of a folding or detachable stock that has modes of fire from single shot to kill everything in the room!!!

Other examples being the H&K MP5 and Enfield SA80.

As for not hunting with one - you could - but you run the risk of either missing with some if not all of the shots (the sights aren't as good as a hunting rifle and weren't designed for that sort of work to begin with) or damaging what you are after more than needs be (not major if you are after deer or elk but wouldn't leave much if you are after squirrel)

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Hey folks, you remember common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by mjarbar View Post
    I was using it as a term akin to the M4. i.e. A rifle with a protruding hand grip with the option of a folding or detachable stock that has modes of fire from single shot to kill everything in the room!!!
    Best description ever!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

mjarbar

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Best description ever!
    Paraphrasing Samuel L Jackson in Jackie Brown

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jimbo1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mjarbar View Post

Other examples being the H&K MP5 and Enfield SA80.

As for not hunting with one - you could - but you run the risk of either missing with some if not all of the shots (the sights aren't as good as a hunting rifle and weren't designed for that sort of work to begin with) or damaging what you are after more than needs be (not major if you are after deer or elk but wouldn't leave much if you are after squirrel)
    I am not sure if you know this or not but you can't go to like Bass Pro Shops and buy a fully automatic weapon. You have to get those things by illegal means. That means the folks who obey the law aren't going to have them. All you can buy legally is semi...one squeeze one shot.
    Secondly I can assault you with any rifle made regardless of the outer cosmetics....which is all most of that is. A hand grip doesn't change functionailty
    "Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."

Cdr. William Riker

mjarbar

I am not sure if you know this or not but you can't go to like Bass Pro Shops and buy a fully automatic weapon. You have to get those things by illegal means. That means the folks who obey the law aren't going to have them. All you can buy legally is semi...one squeeze one shot.
    Secondly I can assault you with any rifle made regardless of the outer cosmetics....which is all most of that is. A hand grip doesn't change functionality
    Yes this is where my understanding falls down as I always thought that a semi automatic was up to 3 shots with 1 squeeze and fully automatic was the entire clip with one squeeze, and yes regardless of the weapon you will always get some idiot miss-using them - it doesn't matter if you get smacked on the back of your head by a shotgun or a handgun they are both gonna do damage.

The big part of the problem as I see it, is that you have a very small minority that causes the majority of the problem. Rather than bringing in tighter controls or banning guns altogether I think a change should be made that restricts the type of weapon available to the person using it, i.e. a hunter has access to to hunting rifles, a homeowner who's idea of the countryside is a gravel drive would only need a handgun etc.

It's a sad fact that you won't stop these idiots going into schools and restaurants but you may be able to vastly limit the number of people they kill or injure before the cops show up.

I guess what I am trying to say is the gun equlivlant of "the right tool for the job at hand"

The difference between a semi automatic handgun and a revolver is how far you pull the trigger...the M4 and M16 are semi automatic rifles....they do have a 3 round burst setting tho...
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

What is an assault rifle?
    I would consider any rifle/weapon pointed at me or anyone else an assault rifle/weapon.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

If I had to choose from between two countries to go and visit, and the choice was between a country where I can get malaria and another country where I can get shot - well, there's no vacine that can protect me from bullets.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    Yup, Canadian. Don't own a gun, don't need a gun. Just trying to be a voice of reason.

You wasting your time trying to be the "voice of reason" in a debate about guns here in the good ole USA.