Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Hey folks, you remember common sense?

Re: Hey folks, you remember common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1 View Post
    What is an assault rifle?
    I feel like I'm having this dream where I'm riding a merry-go-round and can't get out.

Assault Rifle.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    Because as a right, every whack job without a sanity filter gets to take their guns...
    Freedom of speech is also a right, but you don't have the right to shout "Fire" in a crowded theater

I live in Oklahoma. We have an open carry law. That means you can wear it on your belt in public. You know what? I don't ever see anyone doing that.
    And statistically speaking, the more citizens who have firearms, the safer the area is. Conversely, Chicago has the most restrictive gun control laws and is the murder capitol of the US. There is also at least one town where every head of household is REQUIRED to own a firearm - crime is non-existent - apparently armed citizens are too big an occupational hazard for criminals.

What is an assault rifle?
    Good question:
    270883_10151667190918136_748778133_n.jpg

Refer to this post for some common sense: http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ra...tml#post337227
    73 DE W5SSJ

... and two more points:

The CT School shooter DID NOT use an assault rifle - the coroner has confirmed that, and the AR15 he stole was found in the trunk of his car.

Kind of makes this a moot point, but for those of you claiming an assault rifle ban would have prevented this incident... FALSE: Connecticut already has an assault rifle ban.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jimbo1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    Freedom of speech is also a right, but you don't have the right to shout "Fire" in a crowded theater

And statistically speaking, the more citizens who have firearms, the safer the area is. Conversely, Chicago has the most restrictive gun control laws and is the murder capitol of the US. There is also at least one town where every head of household is REQUIRED to own a firearm - crime is non-existent - apparently armed citizens are too big an occupational hazard for criminals.

Good question:

Refer to this post for some common sense: http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ra...tml#post337227
    Thank you for the squirrel gun illustration It was exactly the point I was hoping to make.
    "Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."

Cdr. William Riker

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    I feel like I'm having this dream where I'm riding a merry-go-round and can't get out.

Assault Rifle.
    I truly love Wikipedia where anyone an post a professional looking article that can be nothing but what their agenda wants it to be.
    The school system around here will not allow the use of Wikipedia articles in reports. Why? Anyone can write anything they want there.
    If you want the truth about "assault rifles" go look at Shadow 1's post. He nailed it.

Cdr. William Riker

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Just expressing my opinion - I have no agenda, since I don't even live on your side of the ocean. As far as I'm concerned, I don't really care if you guys wake up some day and start shooting each other until there's no one left.

Except for the kids, of course. But the ones that survived will surely grow up to enjoy the fact that they can carry a weapon under their belts.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Just expressing my opinion - I have no agenda, since I don't even live on your side of the ocean. As far as I'm concerned, I don't really care if you guys wake up some day and start shooting each other until there's no one left.

Except for the kids, of course. But the ones that survived will surely grow up to enjoy the fact that they can carry a weapon under their belts.
    I really am hoping to get you to understand that your image of guns and America is precisely the result that the propaganda spin people in this nation want you to have. It bears no resemblance to reality at all.

Cdr. William Riker

Good question:

In our country they introduced a new law with a very strict criteria that must be met to become a gun owner. As sad is it may sound, i much rather read the news paper headline of a sick individual who killed a few people on occasion than reading in the news paper almost daily about criminals who killed people with unlicensed fire arms and they could not be arrested. I dont want to bad mouth my country at all but getting rid of sick individuals in our country will be a walk in the park as oposed to criminals. Google, crime stats in south africa and judge for yourself.

I live in central Mississippi and drive past Pearl High School almost every day. If you'll remember back to Oct 1, 1997 this was the site of yet another school shooting, only there was a major difference with this one: The shooter was prepared to do quite a bit more killing, but the school's vice-principal retrieved his .45 from his car and ended the shooting spree - had he not been armed the body count would certainly have been much higher before the police arrived. On the flipside of that coin, if he'd had a CCW permit that allowed him to carry on school grounds, and didn't have to stop by his car the death toll may have been lower.

Moral of the story #1: Signs reading "Gun Free School Zone" do nothing to protect our kids.
    Moral of the story #2: Law abiding citizens with guns can.
    Moral of the story #3: The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun - the statistics show that where a shooter was stopped by an armed citizen rather than the police the body count is VASTLY lower.

So, ask yourself if more restrictions on legal gun owners will do anything to protect our society from the criminal actions of a deranged person, or if we would be better off with something like an "Extended CCW Permit" that would allow teachers and staff carry inside the schools - with extended background checks and live fire training, of course.
    73 DE W5SSJ

copiertech 500+ Posts

... and two more points:

The CT School shooter DID NOT use an assault rifle - the coroner has confirmed that, and the AR15 he stole was found in the trunk of his car.

Kind of makes this a moot point, but for those of you claiming an assault rifle ban would have prevented this incident... FALSE: Connecticut already has an assault rifle ban.
    WRONG!!!!!!!