Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie "Reboots"

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Movie "Reboots"

With the outpouring of these abominations lately, I've just seen some pictures of the new RoboCop outfit. Talk about ruining a film.

RoboCop Stretching On His Bike - RoboCop Movie Stills | RoboCop Remake Movie Gallery

Compared with the unrivalled original, I seriously hope the franchise isn't ruined because of this, in a Terminator Salvation style.

What's your most loved / hated reboot and why?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Movie "Reboots"

Without a doubt it has to be the last batch of Batman movies. It makes the dreck of films that came before even more forgettable than they were.

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts
    Movie "Reboots"

Compairing the two Robocop images the old one looks more like a proper robot, the new one looks like a bloke in fancy bike leathers.

As for other reboots, the Star Trek reboot I think is OK, the Spiderman one wasn't required, the Batman one makes the others look like a joke (though I still like Jack Nicholson's Joker - totally stole the film), Judge Dread was really good and a lot closer to the comics than the pile of crap that was Stallone's.

I think the main problem is that the studio's think a reboot is better because it has to be bigger and more in your face, where as if they planned things better they would get far more mileage out of the originals, the case in point is the films leading up to the Avengers Assemble movie. If the studios had had there way we wouldn't have had Thor, Hulk, Capt. America and the Iron Man movies just the Avengers movie. This wouldn't have allowed the movie going public to build any sort of relationship with the characters. But because Marvel persuaded them to make a limited number of intro movies we already knew about the characters so allowed us to better 'get to grips with' what was happening in the Avengers movie.
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Maybe not a movie, and I barely remember the original episodes, but I'm a HUGE fan of the new "Hawaii 5-0" series.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

The new Transformer movies make me want to puke. I grew up in the 80's with that and blood shoots from my eyes watching the new ones. I did like the GI Joe movie and anticipate the next one. I agree that the new Dredd movie was good, definitely better than that turd Stallone was in. I've enjoyed the entire Marvel Avenger movies as well. There is word of a reboot of Evil Dead coming out. I loved the Evil Dead series especially Army of Darkness, not because they were good movies....really they weren't...they were horrible...but they were great comedy. I don't see how you can remake that formula. A great movie because it was bad is hard to remake.
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Lord of the rings, the hobbit, hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, any Jules Verne novel...just about anything I saw in school (mid 60s through 1908) or from the BBC has been better as a remake..todays special effects and computor animation do so much more for a movie experiance. Some of todays movies are in their 3rd or higher version...I'de lke to see a remake of the old "westworld/future world", "logen's run", "Dune" Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

I'd love to see a reboot of Dune...I wasn't impress with the SciFi miniseries they did a few years ago....they should get the people doin Game of Thrones to reboot it since Dune is a huge series with lots of plots like that series....
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Movie "Reboots"

Quote Originally Posted by Kidaver View Post
    The new Transformer movies make me want to puke. I grew up in the 80's with that and blood shoots from my eyes watching the new ones. I did like the GI Joe movie and anticipate the next one. I agree that the new Dredd movie was good, definitely better than that turd Stallone was in. I've enjoyed the entire Marvel Avenger movies as well. There is word of a reboot of Evil Dead coming out. I loved the Evil Dead series especially Army of Darkness, not because they were good movies....really they weren't...they were horrible...but they were great comedy. I don't see how you can remake that formula. A great movie because it was bad is hard to remake.
    Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    Lord of the rings, the hobbit, hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, any Jules Verne novel...just about anything I saw in school (mid 60s through 1908) or from the BBC has been better as a remake..todays special effects and computor animation do so much more for a movie experiance. Some of todays movies are in their 3rd or higher version...I'de lke to see a remake of the old "westworld/future world", "logen's run", "Dune" Emujo
    According to Empire magazine this month, The Evil Dead is being remade by the original director and producers with them quoted as saying that this film was how they wanted the original if they had the money at the time, which I think is good as you stay true to the original which we all liked but it is more polished.

As for Westworld there has been talk of this for some time but the directors who sign on then leave again to do other projects or they don't like the script.

Dune is also being talked about, the studios like the idea of a Dune movie but can't decide if it is to be a reboot/remake or a sequel to the original.

The problem with the original, and I like the original as it was a great movie, but Frank Herbert even said that Dune is difficult to make into a movie because to get everything in there the movie would be like 6 hours long...

Movie "Reboots"

Quote Originally Posted by Kidaver View Post
    The problem with the original, and I like the original as it was a great movie, but Frank Herbert even said that Dune is difficult to make into a movie because to get everything in there the movie would be like 6 hours long...
    After watching the extended Lord of the Rings movies back to back - 6 hours is nothing!!!