Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Gun Control

Re: Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    *Snip*

American gun advocates seem trapped in a never ending escalation of imaging the worst possible violent outcome and preparing for it.
    I think this ties in perfectly to what I said about elementary school and the half a billion "what if" scenarios. Though I wouldn't phrase it exactly as so.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Since this is a gun control thread, did anybody post stats on how often trained officers hit a target? interesting read when you picture teachers getting into gun fights. Empire State Building shooting sparks questions about NYPD shot accuracy - Crimesider - CBS News

To summarize it shows cops only hitting target about 30 per cent or less when the target is not shooting back and around 18 per cent when the target is shooting back.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Gun Control

It must be terrifying as a US police officer to know that any person you encounter could pull out a concealed hand gun loaded with hollow point bullets. For this reason alone, hollow point bullets should not be sold at retail. Distribution of hollow points should only be to controlled specific groups of public officials and in limited quantities.

Many Americans seem opposed to arming teachers with lethal weapons as they are as likely to hit the innocent as the assailant. Why not provide teachers with non lethal methods of self defence like a stun grenade or flash bang?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

SalesServiceguy.

I think a large majority of police are in favor of law abiding citizens having concealed weapons. Hollow point or no hollow point. They just don't want to get in a gun battle. Period.

I had a revolver in my front pocket last year and got pulled over. The cop asked me to get out of the car. The first thing I did was tell the cop I had a CCW and I was armed. He was glad I told him. But he had nothing to fear from me. I carry so I can be a back up for them if needed. Among other reasons.

Gun Control

It is a bit of a long read but I find this article greatly helps my understanding of the realities of a concealed hand gun.

Concealed Carry

"The world is not a gallery of pop up targets. Do not let your imagination get the best of you. Do not be confrontational. Back away from trouble when you can. Things like cars and TV sets can almost always be replaced. Only use or display a gun if your life or the life of another is in imminent danger and there is no safe way to retreat. If you have the chance, give your assailant every opportunity to leave or change his or her mind."

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

SalesSetrviceguy, that was a good read. I agree with just about everything in it. Are you female by chance? Just wondering. That was from a ladies mag if I'm not mistaken. No matter. With my situation with the police I knew I was going to be arrested . I made a mistake . So right off the bat I told the cop about my revolver in my pocket.. You don't want them searching you and they find it then. They will take you to the ground. Hard. anyway I don't believe open carry is a smart idea. The purpose of having a weapon is to SURPRISE the criminal. Don't let people know you have a gun.

Anyway. Good talking about this. Lots of good points .

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

It is a bit of a long read but I find this article greatly helps my understanding of the realities of a concealed hand gun.

Concealed Carry

"The world is not a gallery of pop up targets. Do not let your imagination get the best of you. Do not be confrontational. Back away from trouble when you can. Things like cars and TV sets can almost always be replaced. Only use or display a gun if your life or the life of another is in imminent danger and there is no safe way to retreat. If you have the chance, give your assailant every opportunity to leave or change his or her mind."
    I don't know, but the one thing I think might be an error in your quote of the article (and therefor an error in the article and not your fault (still, that article is a good read)) is that you only display a gun if you are ready to actually use it right then and then accept the results. Kind of goes along the lines of you never assume any gun you see is unloaded, or you never point any gun at things that you don't want to get shot. If I'm wrong, sorry about that.

Gun Control

If you wear Levis, read Time or Rolling Stone magazine, listen to Beyonce or go to Disneyland, according to the NRA Enemies list, you are no friend of the NRA.

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

Mr. Bill, I am sure that you are one of the few that would inform the police that you have a CCW permit and were armed.
    I got stopped one morning on my way to the range for a couple of rounds of trap shooting.
    The office noticed that there was a large black case in the back of my Jeep and asked what was in it.
    I informed him that there were 3 shot guns and I was on my way to the range, and I produced my firearms license and registration cards for each of the shotguns with me.
    Her stated that it was a good thing that I informed him of this and he wanted to see that I was transporting them in a safe manor.
    I took him to the back and opened the back of my vehicle, then removed the case and placed it on the front of the police cruiser.
    I removed the keys from my pocket and opened the case, and allowed him to inspect what was inside.
    To his amazement there were 3 shotguns all trigger locked as well as being locked inside of an approved transport case.
    My ammo was stored in an other locked case as well. I closed and locked the case and placed it back in my vehicle.
    We spent the next 20 minutes discussing the pros and cons of the Mossberg 500 as a stable Police issue shotgun.
    3 weeks later he showed up at the range for a few rounds of trap with an old Winchester shotgun.
    We had a blast that day. It is in you best interest to be upfront with the boys in blue, as they can make things tough for you if they so desire.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

If you wear Levis, read Time or Rolling Stone magazine, listen to Beyonce or go to Disneyland, according to the NRA Enemies list, you are no friend of the NRA.
    That sounds silly. Please show your work.