Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Re: Gun Control

First of all....

Men armed with assault rifles walk through Portland to 'educate' public on gun rights | Fox News

I think people should be allowed to buy whatever gun they so wish. I feel that if the gun is secured in a home, that the method of storage must be inspected.... too many third parties in the past finding ways to access those guns. Optimally they would be stored at a "bank" much like high end jewelry would. You would check your gun out for the allotted time required (if hunting for the weekend or holidays it would be for more than a day) and the ammo and then travel to your hunting lodge or firing range, etc. (where at the lodge you would have an inspected hold, or the property owners would provide a certified holding container when its not in use in the field).

I have heard valid arguments for having a .50 cal hand gun.... often revolving around people who live in areas where wild boars or workers who have to deal with polar bears (canada etc.).

there is a huge problem with a blanket gun ban because there are gun collectors and historical gun collectors who have created a market for safe consumerism, though that is often spoiled by a few rotten apples so to say.

We should approach this issue intelligently and look for opportunities rather than direct draconian restrictions. Even the addition of higher grade safety installations in new guns (though judge dredd issues come to mind considering cloning if its DNA based locks).

Also.... too much emotion on this subject when discussed it seems...

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

They can pass any laws they want, it will not change a thing. If the unsuccessful war on drugs has taught us anything it is that supply and demand runs the show, period. Selling organs and children are illegal, but there are black markets for both.

While I do not own a gun, I support the right to do so.

Last edited by mojorolla; 01-25-2013 at 01:39 AM.
    Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

The trouble with gun control laws is that they blame the people who can handle firearms in a safe and responsible manner for the crimes of people who don't. And they are proposed by people too timid to handle firearms in any way.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Gun Control

They can take my weapon when they pry it from my cold dead hand.

I refuse to be disarmed with all the looney tunes in this world.

Take my weapons and all I have left is bad language and sharp objects!

When all the nukes are gone from the world I will think about it.
    Deterrence is deterrence.

Take away personal defense and only the evil will be armed.

Take away defense and all the crooks know they can do what they want anywhere they want, because there is no defense.

Nuff said.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

I believe in your right to own firearms, as it is written in your Constitution, I have American Heritage and follow this closely.
    All that the current and proposed firearm laws will do is affect the law abiding responsible firearms owner.
    Here in Canada we went through our own trials with firearms rules and regulations.
    Hand guns have had to be registered for a very long time now, long guns on the other hand have been through a lot of controversy over their registration.
    As long as we keep our firearms locked in a secure location, with the ammunition in a separate location securely locked then all is fine.
    The law abiding citizen will adhere to the laws and be just fine in the long run.
    However the criminal and, for lack of a better description, the nut job don't give a rats ass about those or any other laws concerning firearms.
    The right to protect one's family and property are unquestionably at the forefront of this current discussion.
    Self preservation is a natural instinct, to protect one's spouse and offspring is also instinctive.
    The means to protect them have changed from that of a big stick to the modern day boom stick.
    I support you with responsible ownership in your pursuit to have a resolution to this matter.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Service Manager 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I believe in your right to own firearms, as it is written in your Constitution, I have American Heritage and follow this closely.
    All that the current and proposed firearm laws will do is affect the law abiding responsible firearms owner.
    Here in Canada we went through our own trials with firearms rules and regulations.
    Hand guns have had to be registered for a very long time now, long guns on the other hand have been through a lot of controversy over their registration.
    As long as we keep our firearms locked in a secure location, with the ammunition in a separate location securely locked then all is fine.
    The law abiding citizen will adhere to the laws and be just fine in the long run.
    However the criminal and, for lack of a better description, the nut job don't give a rats ass about those or any other laws concerning firearms.
    The right to protect one's family and property are unquestionably at the forefront of this current discussion.
    Self preservation is a natural instinct, to protect one's spouse and offspring is also instinctive.
    The means to protect them have changed from that of a big stick to the modern day boom stick.
    I support you with responsible ownership in your pursuit to have a resolution to this matter.
    Thank you for your common sense.

Rob S

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    While I don't live in America, I do live in Tasmania where Martin Bryant killed 35 people and injured another 21 in the Port Arthur massacare.

Our gun laws where quite lapse at the point which this occurred and we went through something to which you are all going through now. We categorized firearms as follows:

Category A
    Air Rifles, Rimfire rifles other than self loading, Shotguns other than Pump Action or self loading and shotgun and rimfire combination.

Category B
    Muzzle loading firearms, centrefire rifles other than self loading and shotgun and centrefire combination.

Category C
    Category C firearms licences are only avaiable to primary producers or a person employed or engaged in primary production, or a bona fide collector subject to certain conditions.

Selfloading rimfire with a magazine capacity of no more than 10 rounds, self loading shotgun with a magazine capacity of no more than 5 rounds and pump action shotguns with a magazine capacity of no more than 5 rounds.

Category D
    Category D licences are only available to professional shooters whose principal occupation is the controlling of vertebrate pest animals or a bona fide collector subject to certain conditions.

Selfloading centerfire rifle, self loading shotgun with a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds, pump action shotgun with a magazine capacity or more than 5 rounds and self loading rimfire rifles with a magazine capacity of more than 10 rounds.

Category H
    A category H licence is only available to members of pistol clubs, persons employed as firearms dealers, security guards and security agents or a bona fide collector subject to certain conditions.

For Sports/Target shooting - Pistols and air pistols which do not exceed .38 calibre with a magazine capacity of 10 rounds or less.
    For Security - Pistol that does not exceed .38 or 9mm calibre and must use factory load ammunition.

For bona fide collectors, the firearm must be blocked, firing pin removed and a legitmate reason for collecting such as a family heirloom.

Guns can only be transferred to another licence hold via a firearms dealer so that the registration of the firearm can be transferred to the new only and all paper work correctly given to our Police - Firearms branch.

Our laws may seem strict, but they work. It is extremely hard to get hold of firearms outside of the law. While this doesn't stop un-registered and illegal weapons, it makes it increasingly harder for criminals to acquire a gun. When you go for your licence, you need to have a full Police Check and only if you fully pass that, will you be allowed to sit through the firearms course which you must pass for each category.

I myself am a shooter with Category A and B licences, even though I have done some culling work, I never applied for a Category C licence as everything I had in the Cat A and B range did the job just nicely. I fully support the laws that we have, even though I lost the chance to own a family heirloom in the form of a Category D SKB Semi-Auto shotgun.

Remember, gun control isn't about taking everything away from you, it is about making the country a safer place to live in.

You say "we are about to go through this..", since I am not from Tasmania I have no idea how your constitution is written, or even if you have one (not trying to be disrespectfull here...) but we have a 2nd ammendment that gives us the right to keep and bear arms...So unless 75% of the states vote to remove the 2nd ammendment I don't forsee us going through the same thing your country went through..Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    And they are proposed by people too timid to handle firearms in any way.
    Just a few somewhat random points:

Timid? I don't think so. Hypocritical - Definitely. Look at all the big liberals proposing new gun restrictions - all of them, and I do mean ALL of them have CCW permits (That's Concealed Carry Weapons Permit for those offlanders following the conversation) Not to mention the fact that ALL of them also have armed security.

Perhaps we could get one of our Aussie friends to tell us what happens to the rate of home invasions and similar crimes when you ban guns.

Among other things, I own a 9mm pistol that stays loaded and in a safe, but easily accessible location. Both of my children (14 and 5) know exactly where it is, and both of them have been taught a healthy respect for firearms. (See a gun on TV and it goes bang - no big deal. Take the kids out with a couple water filled bottles and show them reality... KAPLOW!!!!! and the bottle explodes)

Yes I have several firearms in my household. Those designed for home protection are kept loaded, ready, and safe but easily accessible. The only way to get hurt with one of my guns is to try taking it away from me or hurting my family.

The problem is not the guns. When I was in High School we had kids go hunting in the morning before school and drive in with a deer rifle in their vehicle. It was never a problem - the guns haven't changed. The decay of morality and society in general is vastly more to blame than the tools used to commit the crime. Timothy McVeigh used fertilizer and kerosene to kill far more children than the shooter at Sandy Hook, yet it's still legal to buy fertilizer, kerosene, and delivery vans.

For those claiming the 2nd Amendment was never intended to allow personal ownership of anything more than a musket, ask yourself, Q: what form of weaponry the government had at the time... A: those very same muskets. Now read The Federalist Papers which is a published discussion of the reasoning behind our constitution - Google for it - the language is a bit arcane after over 200 years, but the reasoning produced a form of government that worked extremely well until we allowed far too many liberal policies to be implemented (even from the so called conservatives)

The founding fathers wanted us to have the ability to defend ourselves from all forms of malicious intent, especially from our own government. Remember, our Constitution was drafted as a result of The Declaration of Independence, and that document was drafted as a result of the tyranny imposed on us by an imperious king (My apologies to our friends across the pond)

In 1935 Adolf Hitler proudly proclaimed the Germany was a safer place with some of the same gun controls being proposed now. Ask any Jew how that turned out. Don't believe the American Government would turn on its own people? Ask the Japanese-Americans forcibly held in internment camps during WWII.

Gun registration is just the first step to banning guns - It makes it so much easier to know where they all are once they decide to come collect them.

That's not to say we don't need common sense regulation to keep them out of criminal hands. Not that the criminals are going to obey the law - duh, that's why they're criminals - but we don't need to make it easy for them either. I have no problem with background checks on all firearm sales, so long as it's a quick and reliable process, and that anyone erroneously denied a firearm has a fast and effective method of appeal... and again, I draw the line at any kind of registry.

As law abiding citizens we should be able to purchase any form of firearm, magazine, or ammo as our needs dictate. If I start hunting the ferral hogs that have become such a problem in my area, the I really do need a semi-auto 12 Gage with a high capacity magazine - them damn things are tough, and sometimes can take several slugs or rounds of buckshot and still keep charging at you - point is, the government just don't know, and it isn't any of their business as long as I remain a law abiding citizen... come to think of it, Obama and Company are not only violating the 2nd Amendment, but the 4th as well.

So now we get down to the real problem - the criminals. Look at all the slasher flicks coming out of Hollywood and it's no wonder people grab a gun and go into a school looking for their 15 minutes of fame. I'm going to propose 2 solutions here:

The first should be real popular with the liberals - let's call it a violence tax: Any violent movie, video game, etc. should be taxed at a rate massive enough to discourage their proliferation and profitablility, lets start at 100% and work our way up from there... Want to take the kids to see Bambi? 10 bucks... Texas Chainsaw Massacre - drop a $20 on it, and half of it can go toward reducing the national debt that's strangling us.

The second is to take anybody who uses a gun in a crime out of society permanently. Armed robbery = life in prison. Murder = death penalty. School shooting = very slow death penalty... like 1million paper cuts or standing in a shallow pool of acid... and executions should be public. Cruel and unusual punishment? Ask the families at Sandy Hook. We used to have public hangings in the old west - excellent deterrent, don't know why we ever stopped doing that.

Y'all chew on that for a while, my fingers are tired.
    73 DE W5SSJ

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

Very well spoken Shadow1.

When your politicians write these new lays that they propose, take the time and go through them thoroughly.
    When our government here in Canada wrote the laws for long gun registration it was vague at best in the start.
    The laws ended up in such a way that all they had to do was change the word from firearms to what ever they wanted,
    say a screw driver, and it now became an offense to own one unless it was registered and properly stored in a locked safe.
    I urge you to support the NRA and your local shooting associations, they will be your best advocates when it comes down to the crunch
    of the government wanting to remove or limit your legal access to firearms.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    The laws ended up in such a way that all they had to do was change the word from firearms to what ever they wanted,
    say a screw driver, and it now became an offense to own one unless it was registered and properly stored in a locked safe.
    Actually I can see some sense in that considering how few murders are actually committed with a rifle of any kind :
    309970_10151366229121489_1302602240_n.jpg
    73 DE W5SSJ