Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Gun Control

One thing i'd like to know there sales,service,guy. How many people in Nova Scotia ( like that name buy the way ) go out on a hike and are never seen again? You got some big freaking bears up there.

Anyway, the liberal media down in the states like to tell all the stories about people being killed with guns. You said 15,000. that is way high, more like 11,000. But they lump all gun deaths together. A police officer kills a slime ball and it goes down as a gun killing. THE SLIME BALL GOT WHAT HE DESERVED. And for every person killed with a gun there are so many more crimes that are STOPPED because a gun is shown.

Anyway. I like you guys up there in Canada. Don't think bad of us.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Gun Control

I stand corrected, according to Wikipedia

"In 2009, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, 66.9% of all homicides in the United States were perpetrated using a firearm.[5] There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[6] Two-thirds of all gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides. Of the 30,470 firearm-related deaths in the United States in 2010, 19,392 (63.6%) were suicide deaths, and 11,078 (36.4%) homicide deaths."

..... the last bear attack in Nova Scotia was in 1979 and it was non fatal.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by MR Bill View Post
    All I point to in this debate is Rhawanda. In the 90's there were HALF A MILLION PEOPLE KILLED. Not with guns but spears, knives, clubs, .
    And if they had guns it would have been 5 million killed.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    In Canada, if you want to own a firearm, federal laws permit police officers to spot check your house for safe storage and potential forfeiture.

In Canada, if you were to shoot a person who was entering your home with malice, you are guilty of a serious Federal crime.

In the USA, if two people are in a bar and they are drinking and one or both persons have concealed handguns and they begin to strongly argue does this not raise the possibility of hand gun violence 1000%?

On the theory that concealed hand guns prevent crime, what happens if a person trying to prevent a crime shoots an innocent bystander by mistake?
    Laws vary from state to state, but here in Mississippi we have what's know as "The Castle Doctrine" In other words, a man's home is his castle - if some one has broken into your home, or is on your property threatening you, it's a pretty good bet they don't have your best interests in mind - shoot first and ask questions later. As a result, we have an extremely low incidence of home invasions and the like as compared to someplace like Chicago, which has the strictest gun regulations in the US and the highest murder rate in the world.

In your bar scenario, again the laws vary from state to state - some states prohibit carry in a bar. Other states have found anybody prone to abusing a CCW in that instance would fail a background check to begin with (Yes, we do background checks in the us, and I've been checked for every gun I've purchased - even at gun shows. The problem is many of the things (mental issues) that should disqualify a person are not put on their FBI record because of HIPAA and ObamaCare) Other states have "Gunsligner" laws where you're allowed to carry whatever weapon you choose, so long as it's out in the open and not concealed. The theory being that an armed society is a polite society - and that could not be more true. If you're dumb enough to pick a bar fight with somebody packing a revolver on his hip, maybe you don't need to be part of the food chain anyway.

Think about classic justice - bad buy thinks about stealing some old lady's purse - he may get caught, the DA may prosecute, he may get convicted, and he likely won't even get a slap on the wrist. Not a deterrent - but the same scenario where that old lady can easily get a CCW permit, and she may pull a .357 and blow the would be mugger's a$$ away. I offer in evidence:

71880_479740878729746_1703611297_n.jpg

As for injured bystanders, time for a reality check - of the 2 groups of people who may be required to respond to criminal action with a firearm, Citizens and Police, one group has a national average wrongful shooting rate of 15%, the other group is somewhat less than 2% - who would you take guns away from? Your answer should have been the police, because they are the ones who pull the trigger in error seven and a half times more often than a citizen. Now, strictly comparing apples to apples, I would have to admit the police are put in more dangerous situations on a regular basis, and many of the citizen shootings are burglaries, so there's not much question if they should fire, but 750% is still quite a margin.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    I stand corrected, according to Wikipedia
    And we all know how unreliable the Wiki is... I'd have to dig for the exact stats, but Mississippi reported less than 100 gun related homicides last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    And if they had guns it would have been 5 million killed.
    And a well armed population could have put an end to it with MUCH fewer body bags. The enemy won't test your strength, but they will test your weakness.

Have it however you like, but the bad guys WILL be able to get guns no matter what the law. You may present yourself as an easy mark if you like, I'd like the option to defend myself.
    73 DE W5SSJ

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

My guns and ammo may be locked up, but my Katana's and Bow staff are not.
    FYI my ammo safe sits on top of one of my gun safes, which all stand side by side.
    Luckily here in Canada we don't have a serious issue with home invasions yet.
    The key word being YET. Should it come to the same situation as in your country,
    I will definitely have one of my shotguns locked and loaded ready to rock,
    and one of my handguns as well.
    as a side note, in the side window of my truck is a plate that states
    " I don't dial 911 - I dial 357 "
    I have yet to have any one attempt to break in to my vehicle.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Lagonda, you have no idea what you are talking about. I said 500,000 people were killed in Rwanda with spears,knives,clubs . You said if they had guns then there would have been 5 million.

Total BS. sales,serviveguy used wipideia to do some fact checking. You can do that too.

It states that there were 500,000 to 1,000,000 people killed. That is 20 per cent of the total population at the time. So doing my math if they had guns 5 million killed would have been everyone in the entire country. I guess there might have been 1 person left?? Hard to say, he had a GUN and might have killed himself. Then there would have been ZERO population.

You are so anti gun you have lost all logical thinking. Please stay where you feel safe. Stay where you don't need a gun for protection. I would feel sad if you came home and your wife had been raped and murdered. Hope there is no civil war in your country.

Good luck & Best too ya.

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

Mr.Bill, this is why I don't go in the bush unarmed.

ATT00005.jpg
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Just looked up info for Canada. Murder rates are up 7%.

27 % of homicides are from firearms
    22% from beatings
    35% with blades
    6% from strangulation.

Damn you guys need to outlaw knives. To bad the people being stabed or beaten did not have a firearm?

Here in the states they kicked a little girl out of school for awhile for making a threat with a bubble gun. Her little gun shoots bubbles and she said she was going to shoot another student with a bubble. Maybe Lagonda needs to get one of those guns. He could defend himself and his with wife a bubble gun.

Sorry, i get going sometimes. My rep is going to hell fast.

OK, I'm going to go enjoy the sunshine.

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

there was a xerox tech who shot up his work place a few years ago, are you guys saying he would have done a better job with a knife