Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Richariri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1:337837

...and if some deranged lunatic begins stalking your wife just tell him to please wait 6 months until you permits come through.
    I'm sorry but that is a terrible attitude. If this happens you do not take it into your own hands to resolve the issue, that is why there is law enforcement.

I agree the ability to protect yourself and family from other gun wielding loonies is your right. But to use it as a threat or leverage over someone is appalling. Sometimes the threat of a gun to an assailant is enough to send them running. To fire first and think second is the attitude I fear too many people hold. And they call it self defence.

You will never remove guns from the USA as it is already integrated into society. With that in mind, gun crimes should receive the heaviest punishment possible to discourage criminals (hearing these stories of plea bargains and reduced sentences makes me sick). Yes someone can attack you with a knife, but a gun has one purpose to kill again and again from range. It's lethality is 100x that of a manual weapon.

I'm confused as to why the licensing laws allow almost anyone to have a firearm. Is there no mental screening processes or yearly reviews of weaponry?

I leave with this... If someone intends to shoot you, they will and all owning a gun does is allow you to shoot them back.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts CorbinDallas's Avatar
    More people die in cars than by guns. Maybe we should ban cars.
    A car, a knife, a club, bare hands... All lethal when possessed by the wrong person.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Gun Control

Re: Gun Control

There ARE laws that say mentally ill persons may not have guns, but guess what - there are laws saying you can't have LSD too. Laws don't mean squat to anyone except those that are inclined to obey them, and that includes LEGAL gun owners. There is a hue and cry to do something about guns, but not the mental illness that drives 99% of these shootings. Gun control is the easy way out, but won't fix the problem.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Gun Control

As long as "what if" statements are considered valid on the topic of gun control, the theorists win. You can say "what if" until you're blue in the face to justify it, but in reality that's no different from a "what if" discussing what you would do with lottery winnings.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts CorbinDallas's Avatar
    Who said "what if"?

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by CorbinDallas View Post
    Who said "what if"?
    You can look through the first 50 pages of this thread and find it's littered with "what if" statements and derivatives therein. "What if someone comes into my home and threatens my family?" "What if someone starts shooting in the street?" and statements of similar natures all over the place.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

So a guy last week killed 6 people. 3 with knife and 3 with a hand gun. 3 killed with a KNIFE. But people went nutzo on the gun part of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by MR Bill View Post
    So a guy last week killed 6 people. 3 with knife and 3 with a hand gun. 3 killed with a KNIFE. But people went nutzo on the gun part of the story.

the problem with america is we "think" we are free, free to color inside the lines

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supertype View Post
    the problem with america is we "think" we are free, free to color inside the lines
    So you claim to speak for the entire United States and all of the continental Americas? That can't be productive. At least I don't see how it could be.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by MR Bill View Post
    Yes. And I seem remember that he injured even more with his CAR than he killed. I think that is attempted murder.