Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    indentured servants my ass.....

Re: indentured servants my ass.....

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    up to 70% of Africans "kidnapped" for American slavery were already slaves owned by black Africans.
    So instead of releasing them let's just keep their life miserable.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    "Tool for production, wealth creator, an asset." Dag, with all due respect, I can picture every white southern plantation owner saying those exact same things in an effort to justify keeping his black slaves.

BTW, a little trivia for you. The first man to give his life for America was a former African slave...Crispus Attucks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    What about the first black man to become president of a superpower nation? You have chosen to deliberately ignore my point that slavery has no color, a slave trader or owner doesn't care whether you are black, yellow, white or pink skinned. The children of Israel (they were not blacks) were enslaved by the Egyptians for 400years. Their slave labor was used to among other things build the Giza pyramids, until Moses liberated them.
    As for slavery in the Americas, and your justification through Biblical quotes, was it not the same 'Whiteman' who got concerned, again after reading, studying & understanding the Bible, that all humans are created in the image of GOD AND ARE THEREFORE EQUAL, who started to agitate for slavery to be abolished? Their conscience couldn't allow for the practice to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    So instead of releasing them let's just keep their life miserable.
    It already too late! They have already started becoming Presidents, Chairmen of 'joint chiefs of staff', secretaries of states etc. You can no longer ignore them. You can't rewind the clock. May be it was in GOD'S master plan for them to be carried into slavery for some more reasons yet to unfold in future!

Quote Originally Posted by DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS View Post
    May be it was in GOD'S master plan for them to be carried into slavery for some more reasons yet to unfold in future!
    Pretty shitty god, if you ask me.

Master: "Hey, I'll keep you as my slave, and beat you, humiliate you, make you work for me for free, enslave your brethren, but don't worry, in 200 or 300 years one of you will become president of me!"

Slave: "Hell yeah!"
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

Service Manager 100+ Posts

First of all I welcome all who are brave enough to discuss religion.
    Thanks

but slavery is still approved of
    I think you are confusing approval with tolerance. It is one thing to say "you should own slaves" and quite another to say "you may..." Yes the old testament had some crazy stuff, but then there is incredible stories about slaves like Joseph and Moses. I'm not sure if you are trying to paint Christians or Jews as pro slaves, which would kind of be like painting athiests as pro Hitler, so I won't go there. I'll just mention it was christians like William Wilberforce and Lincoln that abolished slavery.

You would think that Jesus and the New Testament would have a different view of slavery
    He does: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Gal 3:28

copiertech 500+ Posts

People seem to forget that The Bible, The Quran, etc were not written by an almighy, they were written be men with their own agendas. So, when religion says that women must cover themselve from head to toe, it is not a gods will, it is a mans will. When it says that it is ok to own slaves, it is because men wanted to own slaves. Not because it is good or moral.
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    People seem to forget that The Bible, The Quran, etc were not written by an almighy, they were written be men with their own agendas. So, when religion says that women must cover themselve from head to toe, it is not a gods will, it is a mans will. When it says that it is ok to own slaves, it is because men wanted to own slaves. Not because it is good or moral.
    Darren
    Exactly my thoughts. Men who were slave owners often said that was their divine right to own them (usualy with kings, but not only). Then, on the other hand, men who wanted to be free also said that god wanted it that way. Independently of who was right or wrong, god is always given as a pretext to pull one's agenda forward. And since the bible is ridden with text wide open to interpretation, it's often quoted to support said agendas.
    Mascan42

Ibid

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Pretty shitty god, if you ask me.

Master: "Hey, I'll keep you as my slave, and beat you, humiliate you, make you work for me for free, enslave your brethren, but don't worry, in 200 or 300 years one of you will become president of me!"

Slave: "Hell yeah!"
    I really like that post by Chameleon! Both Joseph & Moses, ( they were all slaves of the Egyptian pharaohs to begin with), became very very powerful men not only in Egypt, but their work had far reaching consequences in the History of humanity. Most country's laws, including that of your country USA is basically derived from ''the LAW of MOSES'' to the Israelites. You could say 'stolen' from the Bible.
    - All good things in life don't come cheaply. There's usually alot of sacrifice involved. The descendants of the black slaves are now a potential force to reckon with in the history of America. No one can now turn the clock back. They have began to reap from the sweat of their fore fathers. More Black Presidents, Army Chiefs, Secretaries of states, Scientists are on their way up to the US power centers. Take it or Leave it!

Service Manager 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    they were written by men with their own agendas.
    That may be true for some. But then there is verses like this referring to dead animals:"If any of them falls into any clay pot, everything in it becomes unclean; you must break it". Lev11:33. Things like germs would not be discovered by Louis Pasteur for another 5000 years when that was written.

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
    That may be true for some. But then there is verses like this referring to dead animals:"If any of them falls into any clay pot, everything in it becomes unclean; you must break it". Lev11:33. Things like germs would not be discovered by Louis Pasteur for another 5000 years when that was written.
    If you throw enough crap onto a wall, some of it will eventually stick. On the other hand, people knew that, somehow, people would get sick and die when in contact with carcasses - they surely didn't know why, but they knew the consequences. The discovery of germs gave finally the answer of why it did happen.
    Mascan42

Ibid