Quote Originally Posted by michaelc View Post
Its just the amount of posts I see on here where people who I assume (assume, not know) to be an end user ask for advice on problems which should ideally be done by a trained tech. I don't mind giving advice and helping at all just thinking of all those hours with my tools getting angry at a machine (imagine the zoolander scene where they are trying to get the files out the computer) and sometimes I still unsure when fixing a machine, so trying to explain to some one who does not know a drum from a fuser roller how to take apart a machine feels like counting the stairs on an escalator (much more polite way to say pissing into the wind). I know it can save that person time, money and stress, but there typing please and thank you does not take any length of time unless you type like myself. ...
I've found that if you phrase your responses like you would to an experienced tech, you'll find out pretty quickly if they can understand or not. At this point I'm watching for a willingness to read and learn. Unwilling to read? Unwilling to learn? That's then end.

Another thing I watch for is ownership of the problem. If the poster takes ownership, and consequently responsibility for the solution, I'll help where I can. If the poster tries to dump off off his problem on me, that's the end.

How does this apply to endusers versus techs? I've helped endusers through to the end, when they're willing to learn and take responsibility for the solution. Ultimately there aren't very many of those. The same applies to techs. The percentages are better.

Lack of investigation details or not answering questions? Someone's trying to cover their ass. I can't help them with that.
=^..^=