Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Re: Pain

Quote Originally Posted by DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS View Post
    Excellent! This is a well thought out and pragmatic 'prescription' to the 'wear & tear' most of us suffer from. Thanks rthonpm. As a 'victim' of arthritis, lower backache and persistent headache, I enjoy seeing myself in the mirror of your prescription, which I have actually been using over the last decade.
    Allow me share with the members my own form of simple, natural & quite often effective other remedies which is normally taken for granted by many people. It is based on living a self-disciplined life.

1)-Become a teetotaler,or if you can't help/avoid it consume alcoholic beverage in moderation, but DO NOT SMOKE.
    2)- Don't skip your breakfast meal (eat it heavy if possible..between 8-10:30am); Eat your lunch meal between 12:30pm-3:30pm. Do NOT eat Super, make it too light if inevitable; a cup of milk tea and slice of bread should suffice. Doctors always say 'super is not necessary', overtime I have proved them right. You see, at night most of the body's biological systems are generally 'shut down' in order for the body cells to 'renew' their energy, with a few functions kept 'up' to maintain certain vital functions. The body's 'grinding mill'...the digestive system works at its minimum when we are asleep; so do not overload it with food.
    I have noticed that I really have very sound sleep, enough rest and wake up very fresh every morning whenever I do the above.
    3)- Make sure you sleep with some water in a glass at your bedside table (1 liter is recommended) and sip this every time you find yourself awake at night.
    4)- Take a glass or two of lukewarm water very early first thing in the morning. This helps to tone up the digestive system. You may squeeze a slice of fresh LEMON juice in it. Works wonders!
    5)- Spare sometime for Physical exercise, this can be done even from the confines of your living room or bedroom.
    6)- Avoid Constipation as much as possible; take plenty of water and other fluids including home made juices. Include legumes e.g. beans, peas etc in your diet; eat plenty of fruits like pawpaws, pineapples, carrots and other dietary fibers to aid your digestive system. Avoid red meat, opt for white meat instead e.g. chicken, fish etc.
    7)- Remember too much SEX will WEAR you out; have it moderately without necessarily denying your partner his\her conjugal rights. At your age now, sex is no big deal, after all what have you not seen?
    It becomes ordinary; Someone once said, ''Sex is the most ordinary thing...even insects have it!'''
    8)- Once in a while you must set aside time completely for yourself & yourself alone! No wife, No children around you; all alone to yourself to THINK AND REFLECT deeply on your life, past present and the direction your life is taking; have a glimpse into your future life after retirement.
    9) Avoid junk foods as much as possible; here we popularly refer to it as 'Take away', it almost constituted my 'main meal' in my earlier days as a young techie active in the field; Not these days, I have 'out grown' that appetite now. I only enjoy it occasionally; and every time i eat this fast foods now i feel really dehydrated, forcing to take a lot of water constantly.
    10) Go Home early from work; Go to Bed early enough to ensure adequate sleep.
    I agree with nearly everything you said, but sex is very good for you. It's great for the heart, it's an excellent anti-depressant and the endorphins released are great for pain relief too. I just wish I was getting some

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HP:guy View Post
    You are right to avoid prescription medication to many side effects.
    I know from experience.
    You are correct. When I first started going to a doctor 4 or 5 years ago, I had severe pain in my lower legs {still do}, and had my left cuff torn. He started giving me prescription pain meds, which worked for a while, but then you get used to the dose and need more. That's how addicts are born. I am also wise enough to know that you can't take pills to fight constant pain, it will mess you up. For the same reason I do not take over the counter stuff, it does not work well enough to risk messing up my liver, by taking it constantly. I save the narcotics for when I get kidney stones. Stones are pain on a whole different level. Kidney stones have dropped me to the floor and made me crawl to a phone to call for help. First time I got them I drove myself to the doctor, and had to pull off the road 3 times to fall out of the car and throw up. I get them now about every other year. I guess it is the price to pay for loving coffee and tea.

As far as alcohol, I gave up all but red wine, and only red wine made from Muscadine grapes, from a vinyard about an hour up the road. It is called Duplin Wine Cellars, and has a unique sweet taste.

They say there is a positive side to everything. My shoulder and back pain has made me not notice the leg pain as much, and since it hurts more to sit, I am motivated to get up and be more active.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Pain

I seem to be doing a better job of planning my movements.

The tool vest holds most of my most commonly used tools, so no extra trips, and no searching for tools.

Before my hernia surgery I learned a way to lighten the load on my knees: rock back onto your heels before rising. It's easier on the hernia and the knees. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Pain

I carry a tweeker, a gerber, a rag w/ cleaner and a thumb drive/ smart phone into a call first to eval the problem.
    I have a small dolly that I load tool pouch, vac and parts for the ones that are due for cleaning/ service.
    After 30 yrs I have learned to work smart, not hard.
    I will borrow a chair if I need to , because my knees are shot and I make too much noise getting off the floor.

End of day is BB&S.
    Beer Bowl Shot.
    We only live once.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Pain

And to all , I've had most all of the afore mentioned pains minus the surgery. However I can add 1 that none of you want to endure, It's called GOUT, the most extreme pain you can have except for child berth according to most mothers I know. Flaming red inflamation that hurts to be looked at. It hits mostly in the joint of the big toe, and can be in any other joint in your body.
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Pain

Mrs Lagonda, who suffers badly from three types of arthritis, strongly recommends the healing power of a good New Zealand sauvignon blanc.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    I agree with nearly everything you said, but sex is very good for you. It's great for the heart, it's an excellent anti-depressant and the endorphins released are great for pain relief too. I just wish I was getting some
    That's very true Debs, I've noticed that whenever I have sex (strictly with my wife) my backache temporarily 'disappears' and I get some relief. But the more I indulge in it on succesive days, the more the pain intensifies. That is the reason I recommend its 'consumption in moderation'.
    - One other point I forgot to mention is that on advice of my Doctor, I stopped sleeping on bed (wooden or spring) along time ago; instead everyday I drop my very thin 2 inch thick mattress on the floor and sleep on it. It massages my back very well.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    And to all , I've had most all of the afore mentioned pains minus the surgery. However I can add 1 that none of you want to endure, It's called GOUT, the most extreme pain you can have except for child berth according to most mothers I know. Flaming red inflamation that hurts to be looked at. It hits mostly in the joint of the big toe, and can be in any other joint in your body.
    my simpaty goes to you,as my better half by far, suffers from gout,

ps any cures or recomendations to make the pain better

Pain

Problems:
    Knees, neck, and backpain ...yup got that...hurts all day and when I get up in the morning. Thank goodness I'm not a field tech anymore. I still have to get on my knees sometimes to work on a machine, but I try to avoid it (adjustable chair works pretty good). Plus all my tools are on a cart I wheel around instead of having to carry them. I wish it would have been convenient to use it in field when I was a field tech, but there were too many stairs, etc...(Tools go in the 2 trays, printers go on top, power cable is wound around end, portable light, rags, gloves, and parts go in the bottom. See photo.) I still have to carry machines, though.
    My vision has gotten much worse and now I require bifocals/reading glasses. (PC related. Probably my gaming)
    Maybe a bit of carpal in my elbow and wrist (hurts, but I have a healty aversion to doctors).
    Bad sinuses (probably because of inhaling too much toner, paper dust, and dirt.)
    Also, once you get in your 40's (especially in women), you lose the physical strength you once had. For example: I have to lift 1 boxed fuser at a time instead of carrying 2 and 3 at a time. I have to use 2 hands to lift a Canon fuser off the table instead of using 1. I kept trying to do it the way I used to and ended up hurting myself. It's not worth the doctor visits and therapy, trust me.

Improvements:
    I've found I require more sleep than I used to (maybe sleep apnea, who knows).
    Stay away from doctors, unless it gets unbearable. Yes, do have normal checkups.
    Resist the urge to take any prescription meds. Once you do, you will be worse than you were before.
    Eat GOOD food. Not fast food. Mom was right, eating vegetables IS good for you. Home cooked meals are better than eating out, even if it is left over chicken used in a sandwich the next day. This is not always possible, but if you have to eat fast food, choose well. Wendy's has baked potatoes, chili, and awesome salads.
    I used to skip breakfast, now I eat it and have more energy in the day.
    When I lived by myself I ate a big lunch and small supper. Now I eat a bigger supper. I felt better when I ate a light supper, more energy after a big lunch and sleep better without too much food. I have to work on this one.
    I firmly believe in enjoying my life (see tagline) but I try not to overdo it, because you pay for it sooner if not later. I just don't believe in going overboard, measuring everything or depriving yourself of something you really want. If I want fries, I'll have fries, but not every day.
    Yes, I love chocolate, butter, salt, beer, and sugar. I never deprive myself of anything I want to consume, but I restrict the portion size and frequency with which I enjoy it.

Arthritis, gout?...not yet, thank God
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I workout 4 days a week. Bodybuilding style. Also, i work a lot around the house. From my experience :

-driving a lot really wreckes you.

-not eating breakfast - the WORST ideea EVER.

-smoking , along with cofee - again, really bad combination.

Drinking plenty of water is essential for your joints. It works like a lubricant. Pretty much it depends on your lifestyle outside the work hours. Eating healthy, exercising a bit, sleeping well will help you a great deal in the long run. A tip for those with joint/wrist problems : there is a supplement among bodybuilders wich really helps your joints. I have tried it and it works wonders. It's called animal flex. You should give it a try. Anyway, i think that a pack of multivitamins is necessary for us in this line of work.