Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Pain

If I had known that the later years in life would hurt, I would have taken better care of myself...On second thought,no I wouldn't,I would have had just as much fun. It seems my body is paying me back for all the good times now, and the profession I have chosen is not helping matters. A lot of the pain my knees is inherited from my mother, I have already had my left rotate cuff operated on about 4 years ago, and my right one feels like it is beginning to become damaged, and then there's the arthritis that is in every joint in my hand. My doctor says I may have tennis elbow, or something along those lines.

I seem to have a pretty high tolerance for pain, having been with my x-wife for over 13 years, so by the time I complain, it is pretty bad. Over the counter meds do nothing for me.

My question is,How do you folks deal with pain that may be caused by being in this profession, or is everyone in a lot better shape than myself.

My mother insist that sugar is horrible and will make joint pain much worse. One of the IT guys at work uses an old home remedy that involves soaking golden raisins in gin, and eating 9 of them each day for about 2 weeks,and he says that makes his arthritis much better for months.

As much time as I spend on my knees praying to the Konica gods, I should use a mat or knee pads, but I don't. Do you folks believe any of your joint problems are caused by your job specifically?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Pain

I had my knee surgically repaired years before I got into this industry, but with having to move up and down all day to reach machines or crawl under tables and desks to check PC and power connections it doesn't take much to get a few aches or pains. For the most part, to try and ease the wear and tear I've done a couple of things:

1. Use my toner vacuum as a chair when accessing the inside of machines. It's low enough that I can get into most areas of the machine, and since the machine will need to be cleaned anyway it's two jobs in one.

2. Find as many empty desks or common use tables around your customer's office as possible. Often I'll use an empty cubicle as a temporary work area: it gets me out of everyone's way and allows me the chance to sit at a proper desk while working on something. Always ask for permission though, unless the customer is a real jackass they should say yes.

3. When driving, use cruise control as much as possible. Even if it's just for a five or ten mile stretch, it can give you a chance to move your legs a bit.

4. Make sure your tool bag has more than one way to carry. Shoulders aching: use the handle instead of the shoulder strap. I've also found it's easier to try and box parts by machine family so that you can easily take what you need for a specific model when you need it.

5. Get good shoes. It took me about ten different pairs of shoes until I found a pair that doesn't kill my feet by the end of the day. Also make sure you don't need any kind of inserts as well: for me between a comfortable, and durable, pair of shoes and some inserts for the way I walk makes a big difference.

6. Drink a lot of water: half the time just from driving around and hauling parts in and out of the car you're sweating a lot more than you think. I always keep a bottle in the car, and often will use the water cooler at a customer's office to keep it filled and cold during the day. In the summer, I'll also try and pick up a few sports drinks to help a little more. We all tend to eat a lot of salty fast food during the day, or go through a couple of snacks so that also helps to dehydrate us.

7. Keep a bottle of aspirin or whatever pain reliever that works for you in your tool bag. Despite your best efforts, you're going to get headaches, backaches, or some kind of hurt. Always best to have something with you to be able to deal with it before it gets worse.

Hopefully other have similar ideas as well. I know I could always pick up a few more tips.

I forgot all about shoes. I have bought some on sale that were name brands and couldn't wear them more than a couple of weeks. Right now it seams I have to spend over $100 to get a nice pair that is comfortable.

I thought of this thread yesterday after laying on the cold floor of a customers copy room, having a bad day with a bizhub 500 gear pack.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Pain

What's wearing us off are those heavy machines. At least that is for me the case.....

I have already had my left rotate cuff operated on about 4 years ago
    I need that operation too and am waiting for my medical care to approve for the costs. How did it went for you? Does the recovery indeed take at least 6 weeks having your arm in a support? Dis everything became fully functional?

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    What's wearing us off are those heavy machines. At least that is for me the case.....

I need that operation too and am waiting for my medical care to approve for the costs. How did it went for you? Does the recovery indeed take at least 6 weeks having your arm in a support? Dis everything became fully functional?

Hans

I guess the recovery for me lasted until I ran out of vacation days, which was about a week and a half. My boss gave me a couple of extra days to make it two weeks. Shoulder still hurt like hell, but luckily it was the left side. After a couple of months the pain was gone and I had full mobility. This time it is the right side and I drive a stick shift. Sucks to be me. Good luck with yours, I was in and out in about 2 hours. Cost me $4,000 with health insurance.

kneeling on a screwdriver.....that hurts.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Kneeling on that screw you lost looking for it, even worse.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    I had my knee surgically repaired years before I got into this industry, but with having to move up and down all day to reach machines or crawl under tables and desks to check PC and power connections it doesn't take much to get a few aches or pains. For the most part, to try and ease the wear and tear I've done a couple of things:

1. Use my toner vacuum as a chair when accessing the inside of machines. It's low enough that I can get into most areas of the machine, and since the machine will need to be cleaned anyway it's two jobs in one.

2. Find as many empty desks or common use tables around your customer's office as possible. Often I'll use an empty cubicle as a temporary work area: it gets me out of everyone's way and allows me the chance to sit at a proper desk while working on something. Always ask for permission though, unless the customer is a real jackass they should say yes.

3. When driving, use cruise control as much as possible. Even if it's just for a five or ten mile stretch, it can give you a chance to move your legs a bit.

4. Make sure your tool bag has more than one way to carry. Shoulders aching: use the handle instead of the shoulder strap. I've also found it's easier to try and box parts by machine family so that you can easily take what you need for a specific model when you need it.

5. Get good shoes. It took me about ten different pairs of shoes until I found a pair that doesn't kill my feet by the end of the day. Also make sure you don't need any kind of inserts as well: for me between a comfortable, and durable, pair of shoes and some inserts for the way I walk makes a big difference.

6. Drink a lot of water: half the time just from driving around and hauling parts in and out of the car you're sweating a lot more than you think. I always keep a bottle in the car, and often will use the water cooler at a customer's office to keep it filled and cold during the day. In the summer, I'll also try and pick up a few sports drinks to help a little more. We all tend to eat a lot of salty fast food during the day, or go through a couple of snacks so that also helps to dehydrate us.

7. Keep a bottle of aspirin or whatever pain reliever that works for you in your tool bag. Despite your best efforts, you're going to get headaches, backaches, or some kind of hurt. Always best to have something with you to be able to deal with it before it gets worse.

Hopefully other have similar ideas as well. I know I could always pick up a few more tips.
    Excellent! This is a well thought out and pragmatic 'prescription' to the 'wear & tear' most of us suffer from. Thanks rthonpm. As a 'victim' of arthritis, lower backache and persistent headache, I enjoy seeing myself in the mirror of your prescription, which I have actually been using over the last decade.
    Allow me share with the members my own form of simple, natural & quite often effective other remedies which is normally taken for granted by many people. It is based on living a self-disciplined life.

1)-Become a teetotaler,or if you can't help/avoid it consume alcoholic beverage in moderation, but DO NOT SMOKE.
    2)- Don't skip your breakfast meal (eat it heavy if possible..between 8-10:30am); Eat your lunch meal between 12:30pm-3:30pm. Do NOT eat Super, make it too light if inevitable; a cup of milk tea and slice of bread should suffice. Doctors always say 'super is not necessary', overtime I have proved them right. You see, at night most of the body's biological systems are generally 'shut down' in order for the body cells to 'renew' their energy, with a few functions kept 'up' to maintain certain vital functions. The body's 'grinding mill'...the digestive system works at its minimum when we are asleep; so do not overload it with food.
    I have noticed that I really have very sound sleep, enough rest and wake up very fresh every morning whenever I do the above.
    3)- Make sure you sleep with some water in a glass at your bedside table (1 liter is recommended) and sip this every time you find yourself awake at night.
    4)- Take a glass or two of lukewarm water very early first thing in the morning. This helps to tone up the digestive system. You may squeeze a slice of fresh LEMON juice in it. Works wonders!
    5)- Spare sometime for Physical exercise, this can be done even from the confines of your living room or bedroom.
    6)- Avoid Constipation as much as possible; take plenty of water and other fluids including home made juices. Include legumes e.g. beans, peas etc in your diet; eat plenty of fruits like pawpaws, pineapples, carrots and other dietary fibers to aid your digestive system. Avoid red meat, opt for white meat instead e.g. chicken, fish etc.
    7)- Remember too much SEX will WEAR you out; have it moderately without necessarily denying your partner his\her conjugal rights. At your age now, sex is no big deal, after all what have you not seen?
    It becomes ordinary; Someone once said, ''Sex is the most ordinary thing...even insects have it!'''
    8)- Once in a while you must set aside time completely for yourself & yourself alone! No wife, No children around you; all alone to yourself to THINK AND REFLECT deeply on your life, past present and the direction your life is taking; have a glimpse into your future life after retirement.
    9) Avoid junk foods as much as possible; here we popularly refer to it as 'Take away', it almost constituted my 'main meal' in my earlier days as a young techie active in the field; Not these days, I have 'out grown' that appetite now. I only enjoy it occasionally; and every time i eat this fast foods now i feel really dehydrated, forcing to take a lot of water constantly.
    10) Go Home early from work; Go to Bed early enough to ensure adequate sleep.

Service Manager 250+ Posts HP:guy's Avatar

You are right to avoid prescription medication to many side effects.
    I know from experience.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Pain

Glucosamine sulfate has worked wonders for my worn out knees and joints in general. It's over the counter and cheap.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING