Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Ever lose your phone?

Ever lose your phone?

It was around 1400 today that I finished up a major PM on a bizhub PRO950 ... and noticed that I didn't have my phone. I looked around the room at all the parts boxes, bags, shelves, etc. in the near vicinity to the copier. There are so many possibilities that I don't even know where to start.

Then I hear a faint echo from the bottom of the trash can, under a web and a handful of feed rollers. I see the phone there ... and I smile. Good place for it.

deep breath ... and reach for the phone. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Re: Ever lose your phone?

I really thought you were going to say you discovered it buried deep inside the copier
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Ever lose your phone?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    It was around 1400 today that I finished up a major PM on a bizhub PRO950 ... and noticed that I didn't have my phone. I looked around the room at all the parts boxes, bags, shelves, etc. in the near vicinity to the copier. There are so many possibilities that I don't even know where to start.

Then I hear a faint echo from the bottom of the trash can, under a web and a handful of feed rollers. I see the phone there ... and I smile. Good place for it.

deep breath ... and reach for the phone. =^..^=
    Did you phone yourself (from the customer's phone) or were you lucky that someone else did?
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 250+ Posts HP:guy's Avatar

I would like to!

Ever lose your phone?

It was dispatch. They wanted to know if I was dead.

Got another good story. At the Sharp dealer during a tech meeting, we had a tech complaining that the customer had stolen his favorite flashlight. He went on an on about how it was his favorite, and how he was sure they had stolen it. The same customer had called in during the meeting to say that their machine was jamming duplex.

A few minutes later they called back to say they found the problem. There was a flashlight in the duplexer. =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Funny Blackcat. Jamming cause of HIS flashlite that they grabbed when he wasn't looking. He felt a little silly I bet. I lost my small 4 inch cresent wrench and about 2 years later went to a machine and opened the front cover and the wrench was still on the nut I had tightened . LOL. OH now I know what happened to it.

Ever lose your phone?

OK, just one more.

This was probably 1992, or somewhere in that vicinity. I kept what I call the "Mini-Manual". It had 15 or 20 pages of the most important stuff from each of the paper manuals. It was really a misnomer since the resulting binder was 4" thick. Everything was paper back then.

I had brought the mini-manual into a call to do some sort of an adjustment on a Mita DC-2055. I had gone out to the car for a part, and came in to find it gone. I was pretty upset, since it was the accumulation of my first 4 years of knowledge. The customer insisted on not knowing a thing about it. (No, I didn't accuse them of theft.)

Two years later I was back again, glanced in the stand, and what to my wondering eyes do appear, but my mini-manual. This customer was billable, and I think they thought that with the manual they would just do their own service ... until they actually tried it. =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ever lose your phone?

Haven't lost my phone but managed to leave it home a few time, Geez you have a nice quiet day and manage to get a lot done!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts

A few years back I left my phone at a customers, I got about 2-3 miles down the road, realised it was missing so turned around and went back to the customers.

When I was eventually reunited with my phone guess what? Three text messages and two voicemails from dispatch on that phone, telling I'd left that phone at that customer. I didn't mock them too hard as they'd just give me the crappy calls.

Another similar incident, my laptop went kaput, couldn't power it on at all so I booked a repair with I.T. They sent me one of those "hard on the outside, padded on the inside" laptop cases with a combination lock to return the laptop in. There was no note with the combination so I had to ring them back to have the following conversation.

Helpdesk:- Hello, I.T can I help you.
    Moi: - Yep, it's Ollie I booked my laptop in for repair and I have the case you sent me
    Helpdesk:- Ok, so what's the problem
    Moi: - It has a combination lock on it and I don't know the combination.
    Helpdesk:- We emailed you the combination.
    Moi:- To my work email?
    Helpdesk:- Yes
    Moi:- My work email that I can only access via my work laptop, the laptop that is currently unusable.
    Helpdesk:- (penny drops) Ah.... yes.
    Moi:- Can you either send me the combination via SMS or to my personal email address.
    Helpdesk:- Ok sorry!

I've got plenty of mileage out of that anecdote over the years.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I found one recently. I got a new phone contract and got a Samsung Note 2. It is about $900 to replace if you lose it, so imagine my surprise when we walk into Sams Club and see one laying in the front of a cart. I picked it up and walked in and went to the customer service line to turn it in. While standing there, I was going through the contacts list and found one labeled home. I pressed it and as it started ringing I noticed a man about 10 feet behind me with a bluetooth, froze and started frantically saying "hello, hello". I held up the phone looked at him and said "You looking for this?" He looked relieved, took his phone , walked off and never said thanks.

I lost my wallet and left base one day. Problem is, to get on base I use my DOD ID,and without it, I have to go through the line to be searched. To go through that line, I have to have a drivers licence, both are in the wallet. Had to drive home, get old licence, go have current licence made, get back on base, go find wallet. Do more calls.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking