Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Don't hesitate, Windows 8 is awesome

After striking out with Linux for the umpteenth time, I finally got a new laptop preloading with Windows 8. I am very pleased. Yes it's almost identical to 7, but I love how I can access everything by sliding the mouse from one corner to the other. Thoughts?

Technician

Re: Don't hesitate, Windows 8 is awesome

only played with it a bit. i reckon once you are used to it you will love it. it took a little while for me to get used to a few featuers with Win7 over WinXP, now i hate going back to a WinXP pc.

i have seen a lot of customers moving to Win8 and Server2012 so it will be interesting in about 12 months to see what is out there. I actually think that Microsoft is on a resurgance

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I love how I can access everything by sliding the mouse from one corner to the other.
    Well, that would not be enough for me to make it "awesome" What's against good ol' clicking on an Icon with the mouse?

Hans

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The real problem with Windows 8 is just that it tries to force a touch based interface onto a standard computer. On a touch device, it's a highly intuitive and easy form of navigation; with a keyboard and mouse, you can spend quite awhile trying to navigate around or access hidden things like the charm bar, etc.

What Microsoft really needs to bake into the OS is a hardware based optimisation. Install the OS and it doesn't see a touchscreen: default the OS to a more mouse friendly view and desktop boot (i.e. some of the swipe to access items are slightly visible as areas to click). Install it on a touch device and it's Start Menu and swiping all the way. After all, if Windows 7 can detect 90% of my hardware without me needing a single driver, why can;t Windows 8 be smart enough to do the same, as well as give me the best method of access for my hardware?

I've used it on a few machines now and it's not bad, just different.

I just picked up a laptop with 8 on it...and yeah it takes some time getting used to...I haven't found anything I hate about it but there isn't anything that pops out as awesome...there is some Xbox smartglass app on it that I've found to be pretty useless when it connect to my Xbox...
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

I started out with Win 8 Pro on my desktop and found it very annoying with mouse & keyboard.
    I did a search and came across Classic Shell, which put the start button back and created a very workable menu.
    I have also put Win 8 on my laptop along with the Win 7 & Win XP.
    now I am able to assist clients with testing printing/scanning issues more readily.
    I can't say that I'm a big fan of Win 8, just going to have to take some updates and 3rd party programs to make it the way end users want it to be.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Apparently the next service pack will add a start button to it. Good old Microsoft, 1 step backwards, then 300 steps off a cliff whilst being raped then set on fire.

And... the joke that is the Xbox One. 50% markup on the price over here than it is in the rest of Europe and the US. No playing of second hand games. £429 for the console, £50 for the live subscription, £60 per game. Thieves.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Yeah my younger brother works for Gamestop and he said Gamestop will probably not even carry the Xbox One due to not being able to use pre owned games on it. That is the big thing about Gamestop is the pre owned games.....Microsoft is gonna lose bad in that market....plus the Xbox One isn't backwards compatible so you'd have to keep your Xbox 360 around if you wanna play those games....
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Wow. It's official, Microsoft suck.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Apparently the next service pack will add a start button to it. Good old Microsoft, 1 step backwards, then 300 steps off a cliff whilst being raped then set on fire.

And... the joke that is the Xbox One. 50% markup on the price over here than it is in the rest of Europe and the US. No playing of second hand games. £429 for the console, £50 for the live subscription, £60 per game. Thieves.
    ^this

Then throw in $120 a year CoD title(with DLC included).

But back to subject.. I use Win8 on our work laptops, to me its peppier then Win7. Ultimately first I installed ClassicShell... I have all metro and charms disabled.

Here's a couple screen shots of my desktop for example...
    Attached Images Attached Images