Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Re: Solar system silliness

Quote Originally Posted by Ctl-Alt-Del View Post
    My post was far from racist, I was pointing out that even though some claim that President Obama (and others) are of mixed race, they are still viewed as Black by most people. I threw in the Denny's part to illustrate how black and other minorities are sometimes treated differently than whites. No racism, just social commentary.

Denny's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have a nice day!
    Social commentary aside, this...
    So are you telling me that his mixed race will get him better service at Denny's? Sorry, but in America (and in most of the Northern Hemisphere) he's a black guy.
    sounds incredibly racist to me. You're basically saying that all Americans see all black people (whether they be Sinbad or Wesley Snipes) as the same. I'm not saying you're racist necessarily (even though you implied that I am since I'm an American), I'm just saying that your post sounded racist to me. I'm sure you're probably not racist, though...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    Social commentary aside, this...

sounds incredibly racist to me. You're basically saying that all Americans see all black people (whether they be Sinbad or Wesley Snipes) as the same. I'm not saying you're racist necessarily (even though you implied that I am since I'm an American), I'm just saying that your post sounded racist to me. I'm sure you're probably not racist, though...
    Oh, for crying out loud. They are fellow human beings. Please stop being actually racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    Thank God he's not a spokesman for NAMBLA...
    You mean thank Morgan Freeman, that Morgan Freeman is not a spokesman for NAMBLA

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

You think we don't have different shades of white??? How about Brazilian, Mexican, European, Cuban... And the white folks don't always have so much to be proud of...KKK white, Outlaw Biker White, Southern Supremacist White, wannabe rapper white (the most amusing to me!!) The new Nazis, skinheads, goths, California Girls (showing my age), Charlie Sheen....I've been to Dennys plenty of times over the years...they treat everyone the same..poorly. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

Popcorn!!! Get your popcorn here!!!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts DWise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zackuth View Post
    Popcorn!!! Get your popcorn here!!!
    I'm looking forward to the next "I hate JustManuals" thread...

I have come prepared; I'm wearing my popcorn-eating clothes
    Do for one what you wished you could do for everyone. - Andy Stanley

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Back to the original thread; I love this because it helps us understand how big the Universe is. But really we cant quite grast how totally F'n huge it really is;
    We are just a spec in the vastness of space.
    ^Thanks for posting this!
    Izzy

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Solar system silliness

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
    Back to the original thread; I love this because it helps us understand how big the Universe is. But really we cant quite grast how totally F'n huge it really is;
    We are just a spec in the vastness of space.
    ^Thanks for posting this!
    Correction: We are just a pimple on the ass of a spec in the vastness space.

It's like when people ask it there is life on other planets, well of course there is. We (the Earth) got lucky enough to get some stuff going here at our place but we are just one small solar system in a relatively average sized galaxy. There are an estimate 200 Billion+ stars in our galaxy alone and an estimated 170 billion galaxies that we can detect. HOLY SHIT that's a lot of stars. I'm sure that at least a shitload of them have chunks of rock orbiting them is the sweet spot that would let life develop. Check out this link and the numbers are almost incomprehensible: How Many Stars are There in the Universe?

Or watch this video:

Last edited by Ctl-Alt-Del; 06-26-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Correction: We are just a pimple on the ass of a spec in the vastness space.

It's like when people ask it there is life on other planets, well of course there is. We (the Earth) got lucky enough to get some stuff going here at our place but we are just one small solar system in a relatively average sized galaxy. There are an estimate 200 Billion+ stars in our galaxy alone and an estimated 170 billion galaxies that we can detect. HOLY SHIT that's a lot of stars. I'm sure that at least a shitload of them have chunks of rock orbiting them is the sweet spot that would let life develop. Check out this link and the numbers are almost incomprehensible: How Many Stars are There in the Universe?

Or watch this video:

How Many Stars Are There? - YouTube
    Awesome links, thanks!
    On the other hand, I'm not sure it is a good idea to minimize us that way. I mean, considerable effort has been expended to find out if there is any other intelligent life in the universe (ie SETI), but no evidence has been found that proves extraterrestrial intelligence exists yet.
    As such, until we figure out how to actually interpret alien intelligence, or, the aliens just show up and say "Crap, another clown college, this is going to take a while", or, we get way better at space flight and go out and find alien life ourselves, it probably would be better to consider us as the most intelligent people for the time being. It looks kind of like a waste of time to consider it otherwise to me.
    Still, I look forward to the day when I'm working on a machine, and a super intelligent alien from outer space tells me "Well, you could replace that PCU, or, you could just add this dark matter to the developer and then it will work perfectly forever.".