Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: The random thought thread

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Sometimes those who yell and scream the loudest are clueless as to what is going on. Too quick to jump to conclusions.

NPR tweets Declaration of Independence, and Trump supporters are angered | The Olympian
    These sorts of tweets videos and tapes can be found for all sorts of dimwitted responses to any question. Most famous being the petition to ban dihydro monoxide from the water supply. Funny thing is the actual article you linked has no mention of Trump supporters. But they do say

"The tweets went unrecognized as containing the text of one of our nation’s most important documents by some on Twitter. People tweeted that NPR’s thread was trash, that it was inciting revolution and was a reason the public organization should be defunded.
    Some seemed to imply that the thread was directed at President Donald Trump."

Not exactly saying that the Trump supporters were angered at all. If you look you can see that the NPR tweets were breaking down the Declaration into very small segments and in some instances not even recognizable as part of the complete document. Yes there are one or two quotes that are instantly recognizable. And a few that are taken out of order and rarely quoted or taught as part of the document. Something that has been shown can make any document or treatise unrecognizable. Or in extreme instances made to seem the exact opposite of what the document was written for.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    These sorts of tweets videos and tapes can be found for all sorts of dimwitted responses to any question. Most famous being the petition to ban dihydro monoxide from the water supply. Funny thing is the actual article you linked has no mention of Trump supporters. But they do say

"The tweets went unrecognized as containing the text of one of our nation’s most important documents by some on Twitter. People tweeted that NPR’s thread was trash, that it was inciting revolution and was a reason the public organization should be defunded.

Not exactly saying that the Trump supporters were angered at all. If you look you can see that the NPR tweets were breaking down the Declaration into very small segments and in some instances not even recognizable as part of the complete document. Yes there are one or two quotes that are instantly recognizable. And a few that are taken out of order and rarely quoted or taught as part of the document. Something that has been shown can make any document or treatise unrecognizable. Or in extreme instances made to seem the exact opposite of what the document was written for.

Regardless of who you support politically, I posted that as a snapshot of what seems to be the norm in America today. Get a small bit of info and then jump on top of your soapbox and start yelling. In my opinion, when confronted with something that seems outrageous you have 3 choices...

Wait, relax , be patient and research and gather more info.

Ignor it and go about your business remembering that in this country you have many freedoms like speech and press.

Totally lose your shit, get offended, run to the internet, demand people be fired or worse for offending you and refuse to admit you are wrong even when confronted by evidence.

I didn't post it to start debate, just thought it was amusing.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    The random thought thread

Sometimes those who yell and scream the loudest are clueless as to what is going on. Too quick to jump to conclusions.

NPR tweets Declaration of Independence, and Trump supporters are angered | The Olympian
    Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post

Regardless of who you support politically, I posted that as a snapshot of what seems to be the norm in America today. Get a small bit of info and then jump on top of your soapbox and start yelling. In my opinion, when confronted with something that seems outrageous you have 3 choices...

Ignor it and go about your business remembering that in this country you have many freedoms like speech and press.

Totally lose your shit, get offended, run to the internet, demand people be fired or worse for offending you and refuse to admit you are wrong even when confronted by evidence.

One of the reasons I do not use Twitter is that they limit your posts to 140 characters. They have eased that to some extent in that if you retweet another tweet, even one of your own, that the character of the retweeted post are merely included as a link and do not count toward your total character count. Had whoever NPR is, is might not be National Public Radio, used the current concept of retweeting, they could have built a final tweet that incorporated the entire Declaration of Independence with all content in the proper order.

My point was the original link did not have the any reference to Trump supporters angered. It did have the sentence stating that some of those responding were saying the tweets were directed at Trump. There were other links with the entire article from the Olympian which did loudly proclaim the respondents as angered trump supporters. None of which had anything other than the original The Olympian article. So my questioning or reply was to wonder where the "Trump supporters angered" part of your link actually came from.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One of the reasons I do not use Twitter is that they limit your posts to 140 characters. They have eased that to some extent in that if you retweet another tweet, even one of your own, that the character of the retweeted post are merely included as a link and do not count toward your total character count. Had whoever NPR is, is might not be National Public Radio, used the current concept of retweeting, they could have built a final tweet that incorporated the entire Declaration of Independence with all content in the proper order.
    The tweets were deliberately used as they were to get a response NPR wanted. If they wanted to tweet the Declaration of Independence they could have tweeted a jpg of the document. Or they could have tweeted a video of someone reciting it. The tweets broke recognizable full sentences into phrases that could be misinterpreted by anyone, Except maybe a historical scholar that has memorized the entire declaration. Yeap something they had us actually do in school way back in the late, fifties early sixties, was memorize the preamble to both the Constitution and the Declaration. Oh yeah that was fifty-five to sixty years ago. And I admit there were phrases they tweeted that I did recognize and one or two I didn't. But if I had been reading the tweets as published online and in order they would have made sense to me. But the few times I actually tried to used twitter the first tweets I tried to read and were supposedly tweeted in order to form a completely reasoned thought thread were out of order and actually missing one or two middle tweets that would have made the thread of tweets make sense. Main reason why I stopped using or reading twitter.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I try to not think

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 10871087 View Post
    I try to not think
    Me too. Alas, it hardly ever works. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 10871087 View Post
    I try to not think
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Me too. Alas, it hardly ever works. =^..^=
    Thinking.
    Not thinking.
    Sometime neither seem to work.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Thinking.
    Not thinking.
    Sometime neither seem to work.
    Thinking about not thinking is still thinking. Lol

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Thinking about not thinking is still thinking. Lol
    Damn! I knew there was a flaw in that logic. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=