Page 40 of 234 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090140 ... LastLast
    Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    The random thought thread

Re: The random thought thread

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I live exactly as close to the ocean as I want to.
    With global warming and the ice caps melting the ocean will be coming to you.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

OMG...97% of all the water on the surface of our wonderful world is salt water, of the 3% left, only about 70% is ice, and much of that is floating on salt water beneath it. Ever had ice melt in your glass? I know my glass doesn't overflow when it does melt. So, maybe 1% of all the water-ice on the earth's surface melts, exactly how far do you think this will raise the oceans? I'm not quite ready to put my house on stilts yet. I would be more concerned about the water trapped in the earth's crust. If this ever get out, then yes, most of our land area will be shallow seas (like it was about a billion years ago). As to the global warming, this is cyclic, and yes, I think man made warming may contribute a infinitesimal amount, but most of it comes from natural process (sun, volcanos and other natural events). BTW a small increase in the global temp would result in increased plant life in some of the colder areas of the world, resulting in more food for the ever increasing population. So if a little warming keeps me from having to put "Soylent Green" on the table tonight, I'm all for it. OK, libs, give it to me....Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Why, oh why, didn't the Scots vote yes!
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    Why, oh why, didn't the Scots vote yes!
    I wonder. Who is public education there?

Because those of us across the pond didn't want to see our Scotch prices go though the roof. Ever tried an American Scotch? Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    OMG...97% of all the water on the surface of our wonderful world is salt water, of the 3% left, only about 70% is ice, and much of that is floating on salt water beneath it. Ever had ice melt in your glass? I know my glass doesn't overflow when it does melt. So, maybe 1% of all the water-ice on the earth's surface melts, exactly how far do you think this will raise the oceans? I'm not quite ready to put my house on stilts yet. I would be more concerned about the water trapped in the earth's crust. If this ever get out, then yes, most of our land area will be shallow seas (like it was about a billion years ago). As to the global warming, this is cyclic, and yes, I think man made warming may contribute a infinitesimal amount, but most of it comes from natural process (sun, volcanos and other natural events). BTW a small increase in the global temp would result in increased plant life in some of the colder areas of the world, resulting in more food for the ever increasing population. So if a little warming keeps me from having to put "Soylent Green" on the table tonight, I'm all for it. OK, libs, give it to me....Emujo
    OMG
    Firstly, I was making a joke. Secondly, most of the ice in the antarctic is sitting on land, so it would cause some fluctuation in water levels.
    Thirdly, I have heard that soylent green isn't all that bad. lol

But, "IT"S PEOPLE, SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE"!!! LOL

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    Because those of us across the pond didn't want to see our Scotch prices go though the roof. Ever tried an American Scotch? Emujo
    Jim Beam bourbon is ok on the rocks...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

My wife pooped today. So far everything is going as planned.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    With global warming and the ice caps melting the ocean will be coming to you.
    With all the limestone around here, I guess there actually was an ocean in this area back in the day. Then the glaciers came through and tore the place up. Big hills and limestone bluffs are the current result.
    Its actually kind of a scenic drive north of here - kind of reminds me a little of the drive from Chattanooga TN to Atlanta GA, only with somewhat less intense slopes and about a billion percent less traffic.