Page 44 of 234 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494144 ... LastLast
    Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: The random thought thread

Quote Originally Posted by igi View Post
    hello
    I was talking about the house-flies
    It's a shame we can't use flame for that.
    Buzzzz. Fwoosh! Problem solved.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    The random thought thread

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    Attachment 27008

Most men prefer the range 25%-35% on women, I probably fit in the 25% right now, but would love to be in the 15%-17% range, I think those bits I don't like in the higher percentages are that extra swiggy, if I can grab hold of it, then it don't belong!!
    I thought % body fat then I saw at the bottom of the image that I was right. When I was in the Army Reserves, 20% to 27% for men and 25% to 30% for women was considered normal. To me 15% to 17% is a touch on the skinny side.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

For what it is worth, the first real snowstorm of the season just started here. It is only likely to amount to two or so inches though. The snow shovel is at ready for tomorrow morning.
    Still, it was enough that I finally fired up the snow blower to make sure it would be OK later. As a test run, I used the snow blower to blow the leaves off my back sidewalk. It worked pretty well for that.
    Most of those leaves were from my neighbor's trees, as most of them have nice maple trees. I have a stupid boxelder tree in my back yard that will be destroyed in the fullness of time.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    For what it is worth, the first real snowstorm of the season just started here. It is only likely to amount to two or so inches though. The snow shovel is at ready for tomorrow morning.
    Still, it was enough that I finally fired up the snow blower to make sure it would be OK later. As a test run, I used the snow blower to blow the leaves off my back sidewalk. It worked pretty well for that.
    Most of those leaves were from my neighbor's trees, as most of them have nice maple trees. I have a stupid boxelder tree in my back yard that will be destroyed in the fullness of time.
    On the opposite end of the scale we had our first hot day yesterday ( Sat). Had to turn the air-con on high,
    and do what grand-parents do best....zzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzz......
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    On the opposite end of the scale we had our first hot day yesterday ( Sat). Had to turn the air-con on high,
    and do what grand-parents do best....zzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzz......
    And at what point do you consider it hot? The weather reporters around here seem to consider in the 80's as war and over 90 as hot. For me, as long as the dew point is below 50, anything below 100 is comfortable. (Temperature numbers are in Fahrenheit)

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    And at what point do you consider it hot? The weather reporters around here seem to consider in the 80's as war and over 90 as hot. For me, as long as the dew point is below 50, anything below 100 is comfortable. (Temperature numbers are in Fahrenheit)
    It would have been around 39deg Cel (102F)high humidity here yesterday so the wife informs me. The missus an I come from the country originally where its not uncommon to reach 45 deg cel (113F)mid summer out in the central western regions. The heat is dry with low humidty though.
    We now live nearer the coast around a valley of mountains but we don't get the cooler sea breeze like those in outer regions.
    Just checked the BOM site it was 38deg C, humidity 28% at 3pm this arvo. Add another 1,2 deg C to that for those of us who live in the mountain area away from the breeze.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 11-16-2014 at 08:36 AM.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

1994's MOST BIZARRE SUICIDE

At the 1994 annual awards dinner given by the American Association for Forensic Science, AAFS President Don Harper Mills astounded his audience in San Diego with the legal complications of a bizarre death. Here is the story. "On 23 March 1994, the medical examiner viewed the body of Ronald Opus and concluded that he died from a shotgun wound of the head. The decedent had jumped from the top of a ten- story building intending to commit suicide (he left a note indicating his despondency). As he fell past the ninth floor, his life was interrupted by a shotgun blast through a window, which killed him instantly. Neither the shooter nor the decedent was aware that a safety net had been erected at the eighth floor level to protect some window washers and that Opus would not have been able to complete his suicide anyway because of this." >>"Ordinarily," Dr. Mills continued, "a person who sets out to commit suicide ultimately succeeds, even though the mechanism might not be what he intended. That Opus was shot on the way to certain death nine stories below probably would not have changed his mode of death from suicide to homicide. But the fact that his suicidal intent would not have been successful caused the medical examiner to feel that he had homicide on his hands. "The room on the ninth floor whence the shotgun blast emanated was occupied by an elderly man and his wife. They were arguing and he was threatening her with the shotgun. He was so upset that, when he pulled the trigger, he completely missed his wife and the pellets went through the a window striking Opus.
    "When one intends to kill subject A but kills subject B in the attempt, one is guilty of the murder of subject B. When confronted with this charge, the old man and his wife were both adamant that neither knew that the shotgun was loaded. The old man said it was his long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her - therefore, the killing of Opus appeared to be an accident. That is, the gun had been accidentally loaded.
    "The continuing investigation turned up a witness who saw the old couple's son loading the shotgun approximately six weeks prior to the fatal incident. It transpired that the old lady had cut off her son's financial support and the son, knowing the propensity of his father to use the shotgun threateningly, loaded the gun with the expectation that his father would shoot his mother. The case now becomes one of murder on the part of the son for the death of Ronald Opus.
    There was an exquisite twist. "Further investigation revealed that the son [Ronald Opus] had become increasingly despondent over the failure of his attempt to engineer his mother's murder. This led him to jump off the ten-story building on March 23, only to be killed by a shotgun blast through a ninth story window.
    "The medical examiner closed the case as a suicide."
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    1994's MOST BIZARRE SUICIDE

At the 1994 annual awards dinner given by the American Association for Forensic Science, AAFS President Don Harper Mills astounded his audience in San Diego with the legal complications of a bizarre death. Here is the story. "On 23 March 1994, the medical examiner viewed the body of Ronald Opus and concluded that he died from a shotgun wound of the head. The decedent had jumped from the top of a ten- story building intending to commit suicide (he left a note indicating his despondency). As he fell past the ninth floor, his life was interrupted by a shotgun blast through a window, which killed him instantly. Neither the shooter nor the decedent was aware that a safety net had been erected at the eighth floor level to protect some window washers and that Opus would not have been able to complete his suicide anyway because of this." >>"Ordinarily," Dr. Mills continued, "a person who sets out to commit suicide ultimately succeeds, even though the mechanism might not be what he intended. That Opus was shot on the way to certain death nine stories below probably would not have changed his mode of death from suicide to homicide. But the fact that his suicidal intent would not have been successful caused the medical examiner to feel that he had homicide on his hands. "The room on the ninth floor whence the shotgun blast emanated was occupied by an elderly man and his wife. They were arguing and he was threatening her with the shotgun. He was so upset that, when he pulled the trigger, he completely missed his wife and the pellets went through the a window striking Opus.
    "When one intends to kill subject A but kills subject B in the attempt, one is guilty of the murder of subject B. When confronted with this charge, the old man and his wife were both adamant that neither knew that the shotgun was loaded. The old man said it was his long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her - therefore, the killing of Opus appeared to be an accident. That is, the gun had been accidentally loaded.
    "The continuing investigation turned up a witness who saw the old couple's son loading the shotgun approximately six weeks prior to the fatal incident. It transpired that the old lady had cut off her son's financial support and the son, knowing the propensity of his father to use the shotgun threateningly, loaded the gun with the expectation that his father would shoot his mother. The case now becomes one of murder on the part of the son for the death of Ronald Opus.
    There was an exquisite twist. "Further investigation revealed that the son [Ronald Opus] had become increasingly despondent over the failure of his attempt to engineer his mother's murder. This led him to jump off the ten-story building on March 23, only to be killed by a shotgun blast through a ninth story window.
    "The medical examiner closed the case as a suicide."
    With the laugh I got at the end, this could have gone into Horrible Joke of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    With the laugh I got at the end, this could have gone into Horrible Joke of the day.
    That case has got to be the ultimate "Murphy"...

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    ironically I did the same thing yesterday, and I got to really use the snow blower today....................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations