Page 47 of 234 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797147 ... LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    The random thought thread

Re: The random thought thread

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I had on of those E-clips get away from me yesterday. I was working on top of two metal file cabinets. There was no place for it to hide ... excepting the 0.5mm gap between the file cabinets, and they sure were heavy. =^..^=
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Hahaa. That's what I refer to as a "Murphy". If there is a million to one chance it could happen --"Murphy's Law say's it will."

I've thought about writing a book on my experiences with "Murphy's Law"...
    I couldn't have gotten the clip to stand on end in that exact spot in a millions years ... that must be why it happened. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, the hemostats work nicely on the plastic ones. But since they're non-ferrous the magnet isn't of much use if you drop it.

I'd be interested in seeing what you have in mind. I've developed a few tools myself and the idea alone is enough. While you're at it can you develop a plastic magnet? =^..^=
    didn't know that C or E clip remover/inserter was already invented - made I like the simplicity of the design in previous picture. I had in mind a type of bend nose pliers or calliper/mastic gun / wire stripper mechanism application. But it seems overcomplicated comparing to the existing one.
    I think I'll try to make a prototype over christmas time extended holiday

Plastic magnet/attract tool exists "Well processed blue tag at the end of a screw driver" or piece of two-sided tape tape always works .

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by habik View Post
    didn't know that C or E clip remover/inserter was already invented - made I like the simplicity of the design in previous picture. I had in mind a type of bend nose pliers or calliper/mastic gun / wire stripper mechanism application. But it seems overcomplicated comparing to the existing one.

Plastic magnet/attract tool exists "Well processed blue tag at the end of a screw driver" or piece of two-sided tape tape always works .

Two downsides with the tool pictured earlier are that it requires a clear line of sight to the clip for the entire length of the tool, and the thin flat piece will bend rather easily if you are not at total peace with all of the world.
    I've wrecked at least three of those, and the latter downside is what usually dooms that type of tool in my experience.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

How about this for a preliminary mockup?

E-clip remover.JPG

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

While you're at it can you develop a plastic magnet? =^..^=
    Double sided tape works fairly well.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts skookumchuck's Avatar

I don't want to date myself too much but I was working on a Savin liquid toner copier that had magnet reed switch sensors activated by metal flags. When working on the machine I lost a metal e-clip and could not find it. As you can imagine, it went into the magnet side of the sensor and caused random jams for weeks. Just on the edge of replacing the machine, I found the clip. It was also on a Savin liquid toner machine that I had my first (and last) taste of main corona voltage. At least it was low current and doesn't blow up your flesh like the final output of the tubes in radio transmitters that I worked on in the '70's. What a walk down memory lane!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post
    I don't want to date myself too much but I was working on a Savin liquid toner copier that had magnet reed switch sensors activated by metal flags. When working on the machine I lost a metal e-clip and could not find it. As you can imagine, it went into the magnet side of the sensor and caused random jams for weeks. Just on the edge of replacing the machine, I found the clip. It was also on a Savin liquid toner machine that I had my first (and last) taste of main corona voltage. At least it was low current and doesn't blow up your flesh like the final output of the tubes in radio transmitters that I worked on in the '70's. What a walk down memory lane!
    SCM used to make a fluid toner e-stat, the SCM 550, that used a xenon strobe for exposure. Copy paper never stopped. When the lead edge hit the registration switch, the strobe fired. The power pack for the strobe could push 21KV at 15 Amps. Multipage instructions on how to prep the power pack for safe removal.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by habik View Post

Yep! Plastic magnets,I would love one as well.
    The best plastic magnet is chewing-gum on the end of a Stick!!...
    I've also used silicon sealant on a stick before it dries hard, works around moisture too.

I have a long thin telescopic handle magnet with a built in LED light at the end. I use it to find lost screws/clips in dark places.
    I also have a spare magnetic dev roller that I roll along the floor to pick up lost E-clips or screws. Works well in grass to find metal nail/screws car tyre hazards in my yard.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Two downsides with the tool pictured earlier are that it requires a clear line of sight to the clip for the entire length of the tool, and the thin flat piece will bend rather easily if you are not at total peace with all of the world.
    I've wrecked at least three of those, and the latter downside is what usually dooms that type of tool in my experience.
    Yes I believe you require a Zen like focused state of being after you forgot an e-clip inside the gearbox of two hour rebuild.
    I must admit I have straighten the tool shaft once or twice in it's life time. It's come in handy though more times than not.

How about this for a preliminary mockup?

E-clip remover.JPG

=^..^=

Nice try... I like your ingenuity...
    I feel the gears on the shaft of the screw drivers would have to remain one-to-one in sync with the heads of the screws, any
    angular deviation and the drivers would not fit into the screw slots, you would be forced to use a single driver to re-align them.