Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    The random thought thread

Re: The random thought thread

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    The tornado sirens were fired up this evening. No problems here, but I hope everybody else is doing OK.
    I took some cell phone video of it from the window of my glassed in front porch. I'll see if I can upload that to youtube sometime so I can share it here if it is not stupid.
    I would recommend you don't do something like this though. At least not unless similar stats apply:
    It is only fourteen steps from my recliner on the front porch to the basement stairwell (I just paced that off again to be sure)
    When properly motivated, I can traverse that distance in well under ten seconds.
    So don't be a dope.
    Gene, 10 seconds may not be enough time if you have had a couple of brews.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

ooohhhaaaah... Any one like to do my tax for me???
    I so luv this time of the year, it's the most joyous time of the season. NOOOT!!!....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

[snip]

It is only fourteen steps from my recliner on the front porch to the basement stairwell (I just paced that off again to be sure)
    When properly motivated, I can traverse that distance in well under ten seconds.
    So don't be a dope. It's always embarrasing, and sometimes it stings like the dickens too.
    I'm betting odds on with a tornado up your clacker closing, you could make the distance in 4 seconds with only 5 steps. You'd be up there with the Olympic games sprint world record....

It's quite surprising what a person can do in the spare of the moment, especially with a wild beast hot on your tail...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    ooohhhaaaah... Any one like to do my tax for me???
    I so luv this time of the year, it's the most joyous time of the season. NOOOT!!!....
    Mat, just declare you are a non-profit business, and deduct any income expenses. This is what is done by anyone who is making any kind of money.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

The Flux Capacitor: currently the fastest street legal electric car based on drag strip results.
    It isn't as cool looking as you would think. But that just makes a good sleeper.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Barbara Walters did a story on gender roles in Kabul, Afghanistan, several years before the Afghan conflict.
    She noted that women customarily walked five paces behind their husbands.
    She recently returned to Kabul and observed that women still walked behind their husbands, despite the overthrow of the oppressive Taliban regime and women seemed happy to maintain the old custom.
    Ms. Walters approached one of the Afghani women and asked, "Why do you still abide by an old custom, that you once tried so desperately to change?"
    The woman looked Ms. Walters straight in the eyes, and without hesitation said, "Land mines."

I will always call out "APERS" to my wife and son if we happen to be walking through a grassy area of a local state park. (I take point in the field, she covers 6. In the supermarket she takes point and I cover 6. The boy is always protected as much as possible.)
    She knows by now what I mean, and my son will learn when he's old enough that I'm talking about mines. In this instance I'm referring specifically to dog crap that nobody picked up, but I call them APERS because my training has permanently warped my already messed up sense of humor and situational awareness.

(For those who don't know: APERS and AT translate to Anti-PERSonnel and Anti-Tank mines.)
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    I will always call out "APERS" to my wife and son if we happen to be walking through a grassy area of a local state park. (I take point in the field, she covers 6. In the supermarket she takes point and I cover 6. The boy is always protected as much as possible.)
    She knows by now what I mean, and my son will learn when he's old enough that I'm talking about mines. In this instance I'm referring specifically to dog crap that nobody picked up, but I call them APERS because my training has permanently warped my already messed up sense of humor and situational awareness.

(For those who don't know: APERS and AT translate to Anti-PERSonnel and Anti-Tank mines.)
    Shzzz...enough to scare the CR-APERS out of anyone....

We live in a large military training area. We normally get 10-15k troupes here every year.
    The troupes are not too bad with keeping the public shared zones ordnance free, but sometimes the local government has to remind the resident guard to go back and clean up their careless deadly crud left lying around in the public zones.

The price for living with war as your neighbour...

The Flux Capacitor: currently the fastest street legal electric car based on drag strip results.
    It isn't as cool looking as you would think. But that just makes a good sleeper.
    RE.:Kyoto an Electrical Future.

Salutations to the USA government energy department....^ Hats off...

I believe the USA government has officially allocated $4.5,Billion dollars to electric car charging stations up and down the coast.(Sorry my mistake, I though that was 45billion, I missed the decimal place.)

Not to put a damper on a very good investment strategy for all people. I believe there is an election year in the USA at present. So after all the election promises are accounted for, I believe most of the $4.5 billion in allocated funds will most likely end up going to the extremely important, rare an endangered yellow crested 3 legged unicorn wild life research facilities,probably underwritten by the fossil fuel deposit research corporations.

Seriously though, all frustration aside.
    The importance of the USA recognising part of the Kyoto protocol is paramount for the rest of the world to follow along. If the electric car charge station project makes fruitful ground, it will set an example for other countries to follow.

I sincerely hope the USA electric car charging stations honestly work. It would make a worth while contribution towards all future generations.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 07-27-2016 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    RE.:Kyoto an Electrical Future.

Salutations to the USA government energy department....^ Hats off...

I believe the USA government has officially allocated $4.5,Billion dollars to electric car charging stations up and down the coast.(Sorry my mistake, I though that was 45billion, I missed the decimal place.)

Not to put a damper on a very good investment strategy for all people. I believe there is an election year in the USA at present. So after all the election promises are accounted for, I believe most of the $4.5 billion in allocated funds will most likely end up going to the extremely important, rare an endangered yellow crested 3 legged unicorn wild life research facilities,probably underwritten by the fossil fuel deposit research corporations.

Seriously though, all frustration aside.
    The importance of the USA recognising part of the Kyoto protocol is paramount for the rest of the world to follow along. If the electric car charge station project makes fruitful ground, it will set an example for other countries to follow.

I sincerely hope the USA electric car charging stations honestly work. It would make a worth while contribution towards all future generations.
    Mat, we are working on the re-charging stations (at least in CA) but it is an uphill battle against oil/coal business fighting for their profits.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Mat, we are working on the re-charging stations (at least in CA) but it is an uphill battle against oil/coal business fighting for their profits.
    It may take the next 100 years, but time and tide will eventually force the remaining depleted oil reserves to be only used for the plastics/insulation industry.

No oil to produce plastics, no electrical insulation, along with many other wet insulation problems. How many electrical appliances will be lost from the average home, along with the jobs that create or repair them? Recycled plastics can also be used to produce polymer logs for the building and construction industry, which I believe is already in use, the product is called Notwood.

The petrol chemical CEO's have be on record for stating that they make 10 times
    more money out of plastics than burning fuel in motor vehicles.
    Why then are those major industries still investing in petrol/gas burning production? It's doesn't make economical sense, even from their own perspective.

Why do we have to wait year-by-year until the environment becomes totally irreversibly polluted with carbon based burnt waste? IMHO the sooner the world switches over to 99% electrical energy the better all round.

There are some amazing electrical products coming out in the future.
    I hope we have enough crude oil to produce the polymers an electrical insulation of those new products.

(my 5 cents worth...)