Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: The random thought thread

I really shouldn't be to hard on the fools who collide with the truck eating bridge. I can remember a couple of times the Reserve unit almost bought a bridge. The first time was when we were convoying out to Camp Grayling. We blew by the exit that had a sign that said "Camp Grayling exit". When we went to turn around, the exit we took turned into a gravel road right away, and about a tenth of a mile in there was the second oldest bridge I've ever seen, the deck was bare bridgeplank and it was barely one lane wide. The motor sergeant drove the heaviest vehicle in our serial across the bridge successfully, so the rest of us were OK then. The other time we were convoying back from Fort Riley with equipment for the new Quartermaster unit, and had to make a detour through some small town. There was a viaduct there that one of the trucks made by only inches, and I mean by one and some fraction of an inch from what I saw in the truck just behind it. I'm not going to be too hard on convoy commanders either, as I was one once (back in the eighties, if a person could spell their name and tie their shoes, they were qualified for everything).

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    The random thought thread

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I really shouldn't be to hard on the fools who collide with the truck eating bridge. I can remember a couple of times the Reserve unit almost bought a bridge. The first time was when we were convoying out to Camp Grayling. We blew by the exit that had a sign that said "Camp Grayling exit". When we went to turn around, the exit we took turned into a gravel road right away, and about a tenth of a mile in there was the second oldest bridge I've ever seen, the deck was bare bridgeplank and it was barely one lane wide. The motor sergeant drove the heaviest vehicle in our serial across the bridge successfully, so the rest of us were OK then. The other time we were convoying back from Fort Riley with equipment for the new Quartermaster unit, and had to make a detour through some small town. There was a viaduct there that one of the trucks made by only inches, and I mean by one and some fraction of an inch from what I saw in the truck just behind it. I'm not going to be too hard on convoy commanders either, as I was one once (back in the eighties, if a person could spell their name and tie their shoes, they were qualified for everything).
    We never had any bridge problems when I was with a tactical trans unit. There was one AT when we were hauling munitions from Umatilla Army Depot in northern Oregon to Herlong Sierra Ordinance Depot for disposal. We had M932 tractors which are designed power not for speed. One platoon was hauling 8" projos and were actually a bit overloaded, people at Umatilla were used to loading line haul units. Climbing the first grade out of Alturas, CA they said that there were points where the assistant driver could get out and walk faster than the vehicles were moving.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Bought a 20 oz. bottle of Crystal Pepsi yesterday. Drank it with dinner. Not a fan. Filled the empty bottle with water and have it sitting on my desk.
    The plan is to "open" it after it's (very visibly labelled) expiration date and take a sip every few days, just to mess with people.

Now we wait until "OCT 24 16".
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    Bought a 20 oz. bottle of Crystal Pepsi yesterday. Drank it with dinner. Not a fan. Filled the empty bottle with water and have it sitting on my desk.
    The plan is to "open" it after it's (very visibly labelled) expiration date and take a sip every few days, just to mess with people.

Now we wait until "OCT 24 16".
    I have tried Crystal Pepsi. It's OK but I will stay with the real thing.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I have tried Crystal Pepsi. It's OK but I will stay with the real thing.
    real thing.png
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    The local truck eating bridge had lunch yesterday. Semi hits downtown Davenport train bridge - Story (Open the link at your own peril.) If that had happened on Harrison Street, the driver would be some sort of moronic imbecile, as there are a couple of flashing indicators that a person with eyesight should interpret as telling them "Your truck is too tall to fit under this bridge. Here is the way around that bridge." On the Brady street side of the bridge, there is no flashy blinky warnings as there is only four or so blocks between the foot of Brady street and the bridge. So this guy is only a big dummy, FOR NOT TAKING RIVER DRIVE OUT TO INTERSTATE 280. Sure, that route would have added actually a good deal of distance to the trip, but also that truck wouldn't be a useless pile of rubble if the driver would have done that. That truck had a reefer unit too, those things aren't cheap. We used reefer trailers to keep food refrigerated and frozen the times I probably went to Central America with the Reserves on humanitarian missions back in the day, so I may have some knowledge of that.
    Our competitor had someone peel the lid off their box truck like a sardine tin on a local rail bridge. The clearance is like maybe nine feet. Which is clearly stated on the steel beam that makes up the bridge frame. Even better is that there is a road maybe 100ft away that goes to the same apartment complex but without the clearance issue.

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

I would rather pull my eyelids off with a sharpened spring hook than change a ccd unit in a dx-c311 again

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I have this as the ringtone on my phone.
    (Open the link at your own peril.)

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

8 inches of rain last night. Dams breaking, schools closed, one customer called and said she had water up to the paper trays. Maybe 20 to 30 roads closed. Downtown flooded. Maybe 2 to 4 more inches tonight. Hurricane may hit next week. Good times, good times.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    8 inches of rain last night. Dams breaking, schools closed, one customer called and said she had water up to the paper trays. Maybe 20 to 30 roads closed. Downtown flooded. Maybe 2 to 4 more inches tonight. Hurricane may hit next week. Good times, good times.
    Hang in there, things will dry out soon enough (except the reams of paper in the machine and storage).
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --