Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Toner Monkey 250+ Posts

Re: Where is the worst place your boss sent you?

Worst place ever is back in the day when I used to repair home appliances. I have a few horror stories about some of the filthy squalid pits I had the misfortune to visit but one always sticks in my mind for a few reasons.

The first thing I remember was the fact that this house was situated in a very expensive affluent neighbourhood, as I was driving through the neighbourhood towards the address I was passing some very well appointed neat, tidy houses with very expensive cars parked outside (even amongst the plethora of Mercs, BMWs and Jags, there were Ferraris and Rolls Royces!). Then I get to where I'm going and the first thing that I noticed is my customer's house stands out like a sore thumb, as among these well kept houses with perfectly manicured lawns is a run down looking house with a severely overgrown garden. I double check my work ticket to see that yes.... this is the house I'm going to....I wasn't feeling great about this already!!

I parked on the road and got halfway up the drive before I could smell ammonia, by the front door it was seriously strong. I also noticed that there were cats everywhere. Cats in amongst the overgrown grass and garden, cats inside the upstairs and downstairs windows peering out at me. When I rang the doorbell and the woman answered I nearly puked there and then at the overwhelming smell of cat piss and shit. I followed her inside the house holding my breath and it looked like a f**king bomb full of shit had hit it, filthy piles of stuff all over the floor. I remember I kept looking down at my feet to check I wasn't treading in any cat shit and I vividly remember the fact that as I put my foot down and let it bear my weight, I was actually squeezing a little puddle of filthy liquid out of the carpet around my shoe.

She had some fault with the VCR, I didn't even listen to what she was complaining about. I just picked the VCR up, connected the aerial back to the rear of her TV set (all the while trying to not touch anything as much as possible as it all looked filthy, definitely trying not to kneel on the floor at all costs) told her we'd be in touch. I must have put ten layers of shrink wrap on that VCR before I put it in my van. I then, sitting on the edge of the back of the van, doused the soles of my shoes in everything cleaning/disinfecting I had to hand, isopropyl alchohol, foam cleaner, even tried neat windscreen washer fluid, I don't know if the smell had gotten into my clothes or I still had remnants of it in my nose or what, but for the rest of that day I couldn't get rid of the horrible smell of that house. I threw the trainers and pants away that night.

I relayed this story to my boss as I was booking in the work tickets, he took one look at the VCR in question, mummified in shrink wrap, and threw it straight in the skip (dumpster for you U.S folks). Funnily enough, most manufacturer's warranties don't cover death by cat piss.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Where is the worst place your boss sent you?

A small construction company, office located in the owners home.The owners wife let me in ... well it went something like this:
    Me: Where's the copier?
    She: It's over here (leading me across the living room .. I'm about 20 ft behind)
    (suddenly she turns around ... ) Get away from me.
    Me: Wha ... ?
    She: Don't get any closer!
    Me: Hey, I'm just here to fix a copier. I don't know what you think ...
    She: (shrieking)
    Me: OK. I'm out of here. If you change your mind call the office. (backing out of the house)
    She never did call back.
    So from that on you changed the type of your Aftershave?

Hans

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krm View Post
    1- correctional facilities. I was left by my guard alone for a while with inmates talking to me as I fixed a machine. It was low security, mostly insane types. I was concerned though. They were heavy medicated types.
    2- searched at a Muslim Mosque even though they called us. This was before 9-11.
    3-crossed a picket line and almost had to fight my way out. There was a cop, but he's union too.

Ok yeah.I received a call in the country. A nice neighborhood and felt normal looking for the house. It ended up being down a dirt road, way down and isolated. As I progressed down the road there were rusted, abandoned cars and bags of trash. Oh sh** here we go I'm thinking. All of the sudden a dirt bike pulls up next to me with a huge guy on it and a creepy baby face. The dirt bike was small and he freaked me out. I could not turn around any where and stopping was not an option. So I proceeded to the house. I had visions of the movie Pulp Fiction in my head. The house was crap and trash bags half opened every where. I call the office and they say the guy called and we had no records with him or idea who he was. They said leave if it seemed dangerous. Of course, like most techs, I'm too proud or dumb to leave with my tail between my legs. Plus, I'm 200 pounds and not easily scared.
    I go to the door, no answer, but can tell someone is in this mess of a house. I walk around back and there is an above ground pool that was pea green. All of the sudden a f****** rooster comes out of the woods and attacks me. Yeah a rooster. Those things are pretty nasty when pissed. It pecked through my pants and drew blood! I kept kicking it and it kept pecking at me. Finally, I got to the door and went in.
    The guy had a machine and was pretty harmless. The big creepy guy showed up and it was his kid. A gentle, freak of nature. As for the rooster, the guy beat the thing to death after I told him what happened. He said "Chester" had been crazy for a while. I actually fixed the guy's copier with blood coming through my tan pants. I probably should have gotten a rabies shot.
    Compared to Pulp Fiction, I got off easy.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krm View Post
    Ok yeah.I received a call in the country. A nice neighborhood and felt normal looking for the house. It ended up being down a dirt road, way down and isolated. As I progressed down the road there were rusted, abandoned cars and bags of trash. Oh sh** here we go I'm thinking. All of the sudden a dirt bike pulls up next to me with a huge guy on it and a creepy baby face. The dirt bike was small and he freaked me out. I could not turn around any where and stopping was not an option. So I proceeded to the house. I had visions of the movie Pulp Fiction in my head. The house was crap and trash bags half opened every where. I call the office and they say the guy called and we had no records with him or idea who he was. They said leave if it seemed dangerous. Of course, like most techs, I'm too proud or dumb to leave with my tail between my legs. Plus, I'm 200 pounds and not easily scared.
    I go to the door, no answer, but can tell someone is in this mess of a house. I walk around back and there is an above ground pool that was pea green. All of the sudden a f****** rooster comes out of the woods and attacks me. Yeah a rooster. Those things are pretty nasty when pissed. It pecked through my pants and drew blood! I kept kicking it and it kept pecking at me. Finally, I got to the door and went in.
    The guy had a machine and was pretty harmless. The big creepy guy showed up and it was his kid. A gentle, freak of nature. As for the rooster, the guy beat the thing to death after I told him what happened. He said "Chester" had been crazy for a while. I actually fixed the guy's copier with blood coming through my tan pants. I probably should have gotten a rabies shot.
    Compared to Pulp Fiction, I got off easy.
    So, when is the next chapter coming out?
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 250+ Posts

I had to remind myself that you guys call your trousers pants, as pants to us in The UK are underwear, so I was imaging you getting pecked in your underwear area & drawing blood! ouch!!!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Canon.Tech View Post
    I had to remind myself that you guys call your trousers pants, as pants to us in The UK are underwear, so I was imaging you getting pecked in your underwear area & drawing blood! ouch!!!!!
    That's too funny! Now, I've never done that before. Going to a call in my underwear. I would never get any call backs, that's for sure.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    So from that on you changed the type of your Aftershave?

Hans
    Generally that is not the response I get from women. I felt sorry for her. She must have had something bad happen to her.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Not weird or worst....

I go to a service call on a friday to what amounts to a very large cubical farm in a skyscraper, close to 200 employees. Been calling on the customer for years. I have to order a part and tell the customer I will return monday to install. Customer signs off on my paperwork and says see you monday and have a great weekend.

Monday I return with part in hand. I badge myself through security and enter the business. I enter the room and no one is there. And when I say no one, I mean no one. Also all cubes, furniture, etc was all gone. Only thing in the room was four walls and the damn carpet, nothing else. To this day we have no idea what happened, only speculation.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

It wasn't copiers, but when I was installing security systems. I was sent to check on a problem at one home and it was filthy, not just dirty, but not (and I don't think ever) cleaned. The mother had one of the children put a burned pot of chili off to the side and said she would not clean the pot up. I found the issue and had to return in a few days to replace the bad part. When I returned I noticed the pot was in the same place, it had not been moved or touched (from what I could tell). I walked out of that placed feeling like I needed to be disinfected.

Another security install issue. Got to one home and started unloading my tools when the lady there called someone (I believe she called because I didn't hear the phone ring) and then proceded to yell, scream, and curse the person. What made me nervous is when she said "Yeah, come on over and I'll kill you, I'll shoot you!!" I'm thinking "Great, I'm going to be shot doing this install. No wonder she wants a security system." I didn't unpack too much, because if anyone showed up I was out of there. No one showed and I did finish the install, but that first hour was a bit tense for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Service Manager 250+ Posts HP:guy's Avatar

My boss sent me out to a nerve gas destruction facility. Had to be fitted with a gas mask an given a self injection kit.
    Guard told if the siren put on the mask and injection your self in the thigh.

​I am very glad the siren did not go off!