Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Where is the worst place your boss sent you?

1- correctional facilities. I was left by my guard alone for a while with inmates talking to me as I fixed a machine. It was low security, mostly insane types. I was concerned though. They were heavy medicated types.
    2- searched at a Muslim Mosque even though they called us. This was before 9-11.
    3-crossed a picket line and almost had to fight my way out. There was a cop, but he's union too.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: Where is the worst place your boss sent you?

Retirement homes. We have copiers in one of the nicest ones in town and it is still depressing. Old people propped up in wheel chairs that can barely hold their heads up. But there is a low budget home, out in the country, sitting in the middle o a large open field that is in the trees. It used to be a school, now long abandon. Seemed to full of a mix of disabled and mental. Very run down and depressing, like the place you would film a movie. Rule in my family is "Nobody goes to a home!" We will care for each other til we die in our own space surrounded by family.

Nothing bothers me like a retirement home.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I think the worst were:

Macomb Oakland Center (the nuthouse)
    The copier was near the caged in check-in area. There is a 20ft x 20ft room with corrugated steel over the windows and doors. So I'm a youngster new on the job, and I hear a voice over my shoulder:
    Guest: Do you have a cigarette?
    Me: No, I don't smoke.
    (after a while)
    Guest: Hey, do you have the key?
    Me: No, you'll have to talk to the check-in nurse (she looks like a professional wrestler).
    Guest: I really need to get out of here. Open up! Open up! Ahhheeeeee!
    (The gentleman starts freaking out, and bashing his face into the steel caging two feet from me. It isn't long before there's blood running down the outside of the steel. It seems like forever, but probably was actually only less than a minute, before two large gentleman in white coats lumber out of a side door and carry off the bloody man, one on each arm, and him flailing around like a ragdoll.)
    Welcome to the wonderful world of copier service.

Correctional Faciilities
    The hardest thing to get used to is the pace. You cannot rush anything and it's better not to try. If the guards get the idea that you're nervous or in a hurry, they'll make the check in process take half a day. When you get used to the process, it's 90 minutes in and 45 minutes out, and no shortcuts if you need something from the car, so you'd better be prepared. I had made up a special abbreviated tool kit and registered the list of items to speed up the process.

When I was on vacation a buddy of mine took over my calls at the prison. He was kind-of nervous, and tried to get pushy with the guards. Bad move. It took him all day to do one call, and got the strip search.

Nursing Homes
    The copier was in the main office, but you can hear the wailing the moment you come in the door. It's got to be the most depressing place I've ever been. I guess the old folk don't care for bathing much, and let out the most piteous wails when they get washed, like you're killing them. It ripped my heart out just to listen. I could never send a parent to a place like this.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Back in the early 70’s I was living in good old Amsterdam where my boss had a customer in “China Town” (basically one large road with Chinese food and clothing shops). This customer had a travel agency specialized in travel from-and-to Hong Kong. In those days the drug business in Amsterdam was in the hands of Chinese not like today being managed by Turks, Arabs, African blacks and Eastern European gangs and God knows what other critter.

However, my boss asked me to do a PM at one of his personal customers so I went there, a very tiny shop with yellowed and paled posters of Hong Kong behind the window. Since I found nobody in the shop I went up a small stair marked with a sign “Office” When my head arrived at the level of the first floor able to overlook the office, I saw a bunch of Chinese men standing around a desk with sitting behind it a guy with a huge, wide scar on his cheek. The guy, on seeing me, moved very quickly his hand in the drawer of his desk while the bunch of Chinese jumped far away from him. I explained that I came for a PM on the copier but he told me, keeping his hand on the for me visible gun in the drawer, to come back later cause “now it is not a suitable time”.

Needless to say I never went back and felt a little shaky afterwards because in those days the sight of a gun in the hands of any other than police was extremely unusual. (I know this sounds very strange to you US guys but to see a gun for us Dutch those days was as exceptional as a solar eclipse. That time NOBODY except police and military possessed guns under the very restrictive weapons law in Holland).

Hans

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Great question

I had to deliver a machine in the mountains of Colorado.

only drove the box truck a couple times before. And mind you I was a recent transplant from the Midwest

Winding roads, blind curves, only a short guard rail protecting against me and the abyss.

arrived at the destination white knuckled, urine soaked and sweaty only to find the boys camp office is up a narrow 45° dirt driveway with grim death on either side.

But for the grace of God

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Solitary confinement in the Nebraska state Pen.
    A very bad nursing home in north bugaha
    and going into the VFW in the black side of Bugaha, as I'm just a skinny white guy......
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Not the worst place, but a strange place...

Last year I went to a guy who has rooms for rent. But not for poor students, but for people who want to get laid and don't have a room or some other space to do that. And this guy was explaining to me that he made a good profit out of it. He told me he was away for three years and his printer was not functioning ok when he returned. He did some time in prison because he was caught for posessing a substantial amount of cocaine and other illegal stuff. He also had some problems with his taxes (which he didn't pay, I think)...

But the strangest thing was, that it was a really nice guy...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I think the worst were:

Macomb Oakland Center (the nuthouse)
    The copier was near the caged in check-in area. There is a 20ft x 20ft room with corrugated steel over the windows and doors. So I'm a youngster new on the job, and I hear a voice over my shoulder:
    Guest: Do you have a cigarette?
    Me: No, I don't smoke.
    (after a while)
    Guest: Hey, do you have the key?
    Me: No, you'll have to talk to the check-in nurse (she looks like a professional wrestler).
    Guest: I really need to get out of here. Open up! Open up! Ahhheeeeee!
    (The gentleman starts freaking out, and bashing his face into the steel caging two feet from me. It isn't long before there's blood running down the outside of the steel. It seems like forever, but probably was actually only less than a minute, before two large gentleman in white coats lumber out of a side door and carry off the bloody man, one on each arm, and him flailing around like a ragdoll.)
    Welcome to the wonderful world of copier service.

Correctional Faciilities
    The hardest thing to get used to is the pace. You cannot rush anything and it's better not to try. If the guards get the idea that you're nervous or in a hurry, they'll make the check in process take half a day. When you get used to the process, it's 90 minutes in and 45 minutes out, and no shortcuts if you need something from the car, so you'd better be prepared. I had made up a special abbreviated tool kit and registered the list of items to speed up the process.

When I was on vacation a buddy of mine took over my calls at the prison. He was kind-of nervous, and tried to get pushy with the guards. Bad move. It took him all day to do one call, and got the strip search.

Nursing Homes
    The copier was in the main office, but you can hear the wailing the moment you come in the door. It's got to be the most depressing place I've ever been. I guess the old folk don't care for bathing much, and let out the most piteous wails when they get washed, like you're killing them. It ripped my heart out just to listen. I could never send a parent to a place like this.
    If I have to spend 90 minutes checking in, they can move the copier or fix it themselves.
    I know I should be ashamed of myself. Strangely though, I am not.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Two more:

A small construction company, office located in the owners home.The owners wife let me in ... well it went something like this:
    Me: Where's the copier?
    She: It's over here (leading me across the living room .. I'm about 20 ft behind)
    (suddenly she turns around ... ) Get away from me.
    Me: Wha ... ?
    She: Don't get any closer!
    Me: Hey, I'm just here to fix a copier. I don't know what you think ...
    She: (shrieking)
    Me: OK. I'm out of here. If you change your mind call the office. (backing out of the house)
    She never did call back.

A small church in the bad part of town:
    Fred and I were paired up on a little tabletop Mita DC-111C. It was summer, and 100F outside, maybe 30F more inside. I notice some unusual posters on the way in, but make no mention of it just yet. It was back in the day when we were wearing white shirts, ties and suit jackets. Essentially we were suffering heat stroke.
    The pastor invites us in:
    Pastor: It's hot in here, make yourself comfortable. You can take of those hot jackets. (off go the jackets)
    about 10 minutes later
    Pastor: It's OK to loosen up that tie (off goes Fred's tie, mine loosened)
    another 10 minutes later
    Pastor: I'm dying. You can take off the shirt (off goes Fred's shirt, I grin)
    I couldn't resist any longer. I take Fred aside and point out some of the unusual posters: "God doesn't care about your sexual orientation."
    Me: What do you suppose this is about?
    Fred turns a lovely color of purple, dresses himself, then goes and waits in the car while I finish the call. After all these years I doubt that he would talk about it, even now.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts

Nothing worst than spening hours in trafic traveling to to customer only to find they're out or closed!