Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oki...... why?

Impulse Drive Engineer 250+ Posts CableGuy's Avatar

Oki...... why?

Why was the world blighted with OKI machines? Been a happy Ricoh engineer for ages, then some smart ass upstairs decides it's a good it to flog OKI machines.... Calling them flaky is a compliment. I worked on their fax machines in the mid 90's and from what I can tell, they haven't moved with the times. They were rubbish then and continue to be so now. My customers find new and innovative ways to break them, although the machines do a good job of falling apart and fouling up by themselves. I'm on a one man mission to get these disasters out of my patch... And I'm done.

mjarbar

Re: Oki...... why?

Just wait till you need parts!!!! the tech drawings and the parts lists are in separate pdf files with half the items not labelled and the remaining half have descriptions that make no sense at all.

Impulse Drive Engineer 250+ Posts CableGuy's Avatar

Oh I had the pleasure this week. Ordered a part and was told the part number was wrong. I the cut and paste both bits from the parts manuals and emailed it to them to help them find it. It's on its way now lol

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Oki......  why?

Smile Re: Oki...... why?

Many manufacturers have the parts list in a separate file than the service manual. I combine them into one file when I sell it as opposed to some of my competitors who will sell you 2 files for the price I get for 1 file.

Paul@justmanuals.com

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

We're also an Oki dealer since 1990 and I have really no problems with these machines. I stay far away from the small machines like the MC160, but the 9650/9850 are just great machines. You're right about the parts manual, 1 file for the drawings and 1 file for the part numbers. And sometimes the drawings can be a bit confusing, but they're at least much better than the new 3D Ricoh Parts Lists...

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Oki also has a machine that can print white. It has a three CMY drum/toners and one drum/toner for white. You can print on transfers, and use these transfers to print on T-shirts, for example, or print white on black (or dark) paper.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    We're also an Oki dealer since 1990 and I have really no problems with these machines. I stay far away from the small machines like the MC160, but the 9650/9850 are just great machines. You're right about the parts manual, 1 file for the drawings and 1 file for the part numbers. And sometimes the drawings can be a bit confusing, but they're at least much better than the new 3D Ricoh Parts Lists...
    I agree, the 3D parts manuals are aggravating. On the other hand, if their assembly illustrations were enlargeable, that would make it so much better for me. That's why I mainly use the .pdf version, while the parts breakout pictures lack any sense of size, at least they can be resized, and the .pdf search function works pretty well to ultimately lead me to the right page.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Oki......  why?

We avoid them like the plague. Low cost machine, High CPP, low reliability, low budget end-users. We won't even take service calls on them.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

We service a couple of 'executive series' OKI desktop MFD's, and I dont really mind them other than when it comes time to actually USE them.

Sending scan to email goes something like this:

Scanner > Scan to email > To: > address book > (email address) > use > operate > START.

And the processor not being the quickest thing around makes it even more aggrivating, since you need to wait a second between presses.

mjarbar

We also only do the 'ES' range of the Oki's but it isn't the speed of the things, they have a weird menu system so that where you expect things to be aren't. So if you are trying to set them up at a customers you end up spending 10 mins just trying to find the entry you want. Then for some reason it doesn't save the bloody setting so off you go again trying to find it again.

I will say though that the ones we have out in the field we hardly hear from with problems just the usual toners so for us they have been a good earner. Just wish they would do something about the service manuals, spares and parts lists.