Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

Feel violated here...

Early Monday morning, had my work truck broken into, I use that term, cause they did open a door, although it was unlocked and in my garage, they still broke into it, took my tool bag with tools I have used for the last 13 years or so, my good meter, and other tools, insurance is a joke, deductbile is way too high to even begin to think of it, they took my laptop bag, with paper work in it, no computer, some plant ID cards, and my tool bag, hit it about 4 am, funny thing, I heard the car pulling away, thought it was a dream at first then thought a neighbor leaving for work early or something, not till I went out to get in to leave did I notice something missing, I take the computer bag inside every night, the other bag is just a laptop bag, with misc. paper work, tech tips ect....
    Just the thought of that happening....makes one shudder, then get angry, last evening after work, I installed a new motion light outside the garage, may even get a power company security light put up on the pole out front...
    Found a new tool bag that seems ok, now I got to start to peice it back together.
    All this so I can ask, what kind of meters are ya'll using out there, I was using a Fluke, dont think I am going to spend that much again.
    Thanks guys and gals...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

Re: Feel violated here...

First off, that really sucks. I had that happen to me years ago, except they broke a window in mine to get in. I hated the feeling that someone had been messing with my stuff. But on to your question, if you use the meter much, I think you'd be disappointed with anything other than a Fluke. Just my opinion.
    I know I should be ashamed of myself. Strangely though, I am not.

Technician 500+ Posts

Sorry to hear that some scumbag stole your stuff. As far as a meter, Fluke is the Cadillac of meters. I don't think you need it to work on copiers and printers. The only thing I use mine (less than $200.00) for is to measure DC and AC voltages, as well as Ohms and continuity. I have been using this kind of meter for 32 years. Now the real question. Are you ready to down grade?

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

I hate that happened to you. I've had my car broken into once, took my radio and a chargable flashlight I had hard wired, but left the charging unit. As far as meters go, I don't use one that much, and when I do it is only to see if voltages are there and to ohm out wires testing for breaks. The one I use is a cheap thing I picked up at Harbor Freight that was on sale for $2.50.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Feel violated here...

I can just imagine how you feel. I've been adding to my tool case since 1989 (maybe thats why it keeps getting harder to lift). My meter came from Harbor Freight also, but it's a halfway decent unit, with a temperature probe, amp probe, and a bunch of other features I don't know how to use. I think I spent $75. It was top of the line, as the off brands go. It's worked fine for years now. I guess my point is that there is a wide spectrum of choices out there, well less than $200.00 USD. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

I think theft should have the same penalty as capital murder...

I hate thieves.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

sorry to hear that. Had it happen to me a few years back but I got mine back behind a shop some miles away. I find it strange using another engineers tools so replacing them is a bitch.

on a lighter note. My old service manager had his wife's car broken into. Bad enough but to add insult to injury they pulled out the aftermarket stereo but left it on the roof because it was crap - we did piss ourselves at that.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

Hey ya'll, thanks for the kind words, been working on getting a tool bag back together, got one from Lowes yesterday, less then $20 for it, seen a meter at local Home depot...may think of it when the time comes....
    Klein Tools Digital Multimeter-MM1000 at The Home Depot

Tell me what ya'll think, Klein makes some great hand tools, did not know they did meters like this.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Feel violated here...

Quote Originally Posted by vincent64 View Post
    Hey ya'll, thanks for the kind words, been working on getting a tool bag back together, got one from Lowes yesterday, less then $20 for it, seen a meter at local Home depot...may think of it when the time comes....
    Klein Tools Digital Multimeter-MM1000 at The Home Depot

Tell me what ya'll think, Klein makes some great hand tools, did not know they did meters like this.
    I agree with you on the quality of Klein hand tools, I wouldn't expect anything less if there name is on it; good price on the meter, sorta looks like a Fluke knockoff.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Technician 500+ Posts

The Klein meter should be just fine. Looks like its encased in rubber, so it should withstand a drop.

When I worked in Atlanta years ago, we had a tech that drove a company car (stickers on the side) and lived in a not so good area. He would get his company car stolen, taken for a joy ride, and left abandoned. The police would call a few days later and say they found the car and he would go get it. One time someone found his tool kit and called him. The thieves threw it out the window to make room for their buddies. This happened at least twice a year. I don't like thieves either. Maybe we should do like Saudia Arabia. Cut of the hand.