Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad days

Re: Bad days

I know I said up above I rarely get sick...but thinking about it with my 19 month old son...he has given me a stomach bug twice now...kids are little germ factories...
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Bad days

The way vaccinations work is they're giving you an inert version of the virus. You get a little sick as a result of the shot, but it can't reproduce the viral cells and your white blood cells consume them and your body starts producing the necessary antibodies to prevent it. Obviously you want shots for some of the bigger offenders, smallpox is one that comes to mind, but as for the rest of it, I think the body does fine on its own naturally. I see no reason for myself to get a flu shot being a younger gent, and I've been debating on whether or not I should get it for my son. He's a little cold factory, as stated above only having an odd sneeze or two but passing it around to myself and mommy dearest where I get it for a day or two and wifey suffers for weeks on end.

I'm not saying I don't get sick, what I am saying is I only ever get sick on my days off and holidays. The last time I had the flu was this year in January, on my 4 days off for travel to the city to celebrate my little brother's birthday. Two days before the drive Junior got sick, passed it to us within 12 hours and was totally fine, and wifey and myself were up all night worshiping the porcelain god. We survived the drive on a strict diet of pepto-bismol and water, but my neck and back were killing me. I was shocked, the last time I had had the flu prior to this was when I was about 7. I forgot how awful it felt, but I still don't think I'll get the shot. 15 years flu-free is a good track record I think... If you're immuno-compromised, definitely get the shot, it could be the difference between living and dying.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

I think that I don't get sick as much as most people as when I was a child...I was a dirty kid...not dirty in that I didn't clean myself...dirty in that I spent time out on a farm/ranch....we played in the mud...we got dirty playing and working...we subjected ourselves to to stuff that got us sick...built up our immune system...kids these days will prolly get sick more often as they don't go out and "play in the mud" and other such things....parents are so picky about how dirty their kids play...when my boy is old enough...he better get out there and play in the mud...
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The flu does not care who you are or how 'fit' or 'healthy' you are.

Flu can occasionally lead to pneumonia, either direct viral pneumonia or secondary bacterial pneumonia, even for persons who are usually very healthy (wikipedia)

I get a shot simply because even if I got the flu and it did not kill me, I do not want to be the link in the chain that endangers someone else, especially with young ones around. You cannot get the flu from getting a shot, unless you get a strain that differs from that with which you were immunised, or you contract flu prior to your body responding to the vaccination. There are no live virus in the injection, simply deactivated 'cases' that teach your immune system to produce antibodies.

Quote Originally Posted by SargeNZ View Post
    The flu does not care who you are or how 'fit' or 'healthy' you are.

Flu can occasionally lead to pneumonia, either direct viral pneumonia or secondary bacterial pneumonia, even for persons who are usually very healthy (wikipedia)

I get a shot simply because even if I got the flu and it did not kill me, I do not want to be the link in the chain that endangers someone else, especially with young ones around. You cannot get the flu from getting a shot, unless you get a strain that differs from that with which you were immunised, or you contract flu prior to your body responding to the vaccination. There are no live virus in the injection, simply deactivated 'cases' that teach your immune system to produce antibodies.
    That's what they want you to think
    imagesCAIHTZDJ.jpg

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    I seldom get sick. Ex hubby used to go off sick with man-flu if ever he was in the same postal district as someone who sneezed, but even though we were together for 7 years I think he only infected me a couple of times. I'm made of tough stuff
    Real 'Iron Lady' in the true sense of the word! Flue shot? I use natural remedies like: one sliced tangerine squeezed in half a glass of warm water, before retiring to bed or half lemon in a glass of warm water every morning for the duration of the infection. Warm milk spiced with a tea spoonful of honey does wonders. Also try fresh ginger juice...not powdered. Go to bed early in oder to have enough sleep for the body's immunity to buildup effective defenses against the flue virus. Nature seems to have abundance of remedy, in food, for many sickness; but like all processes in nature it acts slowly though effectively, yet in most cases patients want instant results. Science tells us that viruses 'can't die'. The medics were wise to coin the word 'patient', meaning that one has to be patient for the body to recover from illness.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

i see non of you mentioned the most amazing medicine that
    makes any ailness better: chicken soup

In my younger days I always lived by the adage "If bourbon can't cure it you are probably better off dead"....I'm older and wiser now....so I recommend a good scotch....

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kidaver View Post
    In my younger days I always lived by the adage "If bourbon can't cure it you are probably better off dead"....I'm older and wiser now....so I recommend a good scotch....

I seem to get my best value from tequila. Each time I have finished a bottle, I have interesting stories to tell for years and years.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kidaver View Post
    That would be an early ticket to my grave.