Technician

Mono component or dual component... that is the question

Hi Guys,

I was wondering whether i could pick your brains on a subject matter. A lot of the home printers are single component, whereas, the office printers seem to be dual component printers. I understand the reason is speed, but how exactly and where is the speed made up or lost?

Answers greatly appreciated.

CG

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Mono component or dual component... that is the question

In my humble opinion it's not about speed at all. It's about patents. Manufacturers like Canon/HP and Kyocera have the patents on mono-component print processes and toner. Even then, Canon/HP and Kyocera use dual component print processes for color printing. As far as I know, there was only one mono-component color copier, and it was quickly removed from the market.

As an enduser there are a few benefits to mono-component developing: The main benefit is that if you refuse to change the toner when the machine asks for it, the worst thing that happens is that the prints and copies go blank. You can again add toner at a later date, and not have depleted the developer (because there is none). I must say though that only the least intelligent group of endusers benefits. And I don't really understand why anyone would want to make blank copies.

From a technicians standpoint, mono-component print processes are easier to maintain. Toner levels in the developing unit are just based on physical volume: "Is the toner full to a certain level? No? Add some more." With dual component print process a sensor detecting magnetic fields determines the proper mix of toner to developer. And the developer lasts only so long.

There was a time 15 or more years ago, when the image density from mono-component toner was not as dense as dual component toner. Nowadays the differences are negligible.

As an enduser, as long as you change the toner when it's requested it won't make any difference whatsoever to you. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Thanks for the prompt reply Blackcat.

I would have thought by now any patents related to the use of a specific system would have lapsed. However, it still doest make any sense why the single component systems are more geared towards home use with the dual components making a huge impact in the office.

Manufacturers like Canon/HP and Kyocera have the patents on mono-component print processes and toner. Even then, Canon/HP and Kyocera use dual component print processes for color printing.
    This is an interesting statement! the manufacturers holding patents for both yet opt to use one technology over the other.

What i do know is mono component is a cheap system compared with dual component and im just trying to find out why its so widely excepted in one area to another.

CG

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It's certainly not about speed. Every machine from the HP laserjet 4 (4 pages per minute) to the Canon NP-8030 (80 pages per minute) uses a version of mono-component toner.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Home based products for the most part are single cartridge systems. Easier to do with mono component.