Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

emigration to Australia or USA

Ok, thinking a lot at the moment. Need some impartial advice and truth, plus and negative reasons about each country. What's the economy like, salary expectations, quality of life and is it all a bed of roses or a crock of sh*t.

I do follow the world news on a daily basis so I'm a clued up but people who live and work there know the real story.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: emigration to Australia or USA

If you move to a big city in the US, and work for a big copier company you'll become independently rich, and be able to retire in a couple of years.
    Well that's the myth anyway.

In real life, you'll make pretty good money, have a very high cost of living, and your employer will want their pound of flesh every day. If you can manage not to have a heart attack and save a little money, you may be able to retire ... someday.

It's the balance that matters.
    Take your total income, then subtract your cost of living. How much is left?
    In the more rural areas both those numbers will be lower, in the city both numbers will be higher, but it's only the difference between the two that really counts. If you can keep your spending low, you'll be in good shape, regardless of your location.

I guess that's all very plain, but I am ...
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by banginbishop View Post
    Ok, thinking a lot at the moment. Need some impartial advice and truth, plus and negative reasons about each country. What's the economy like, salary expectations, quality of life and is it all a bed of roses or a crock of sh*t.

I do follow the world news on a daily basis so I'm a clued up but people who live and work there know the real story.
    Blimy, I suggest meeting me for a drink next month and you want to emigrate, should I be offended lol
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Although we sound the same when we type, how's your accent? I know you don't have one now, but something happens when you take long flights. All of a sudden people look at you like you talk funny. I watch BBC sometimes and find myself going "huh", a lot. And just last week I was watching a fascinating show about Edinburgh Castle, and fortunately there were subtitles when the Scottish guide spoke, or I would have been lost.

I brought this up because of how funny it used to be to watch roadies with English bands try to communicate with the older black southern ladies that worked at the arena concession stand, that had never heard anything like that.

Aside from that, a lot depends on the weather you want.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Well, a simple view from out of Germany: USA has a lot of weirdo's with guns and Australia a lot of mean snakes....., better stay home in good Ol' Britain. I've travelled the world a lot and lived in the Middle East for many years, Europe isn't that bad.......

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Why just Australia or the US?

The US is economically weak at the moment, whereas Australia is economically strong. Another thing you may want to take into consideration is population, the US and Australia are roughly the same size (if you take away Alaska) yet Australia has less than 8% of the US population.

But that's about as much as I'll say as I don't want to be bias.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

health care is another issue you may want to look into. as it will be a lot different in the US.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Why not to Africa? Come and invest in Uganda, the 'pearl of Africa'. The country is secure, stable and peaceful; there's plenty of opportunity for foreign as well as local investors here. The many foreign investors here are doing pretty well; especially those of Asian origin. Bring your expertise here and get a local partner to team up with, and seriously get down to business and the sky will be the limit! Many foreigners have settled down here and are living a very affluent life, in affluent neighborhood. Good climate with plenty of sunshine; plenty of foods, vegetables and fruits fresh from the garden all year round and cheaply too. The people are very hospitable, friendly and have great respect and admiration for particularly foreigners especially towards the whites. Our government offers tax holiday for investors for a certain period of time to enable them recoup their investments. Try our country Uganda; Come one, come all.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Everyone always forgets about Canada, America's hat. There's nothing wrong with it depending on where you live, you can take either coast and have great weather all year round, but if you go West to B.C. there's a large Chinese population in the Richmond area, I've heard stories that they're turning it into Chinada, and trying to treat anyone who's not of Chinese descent like garbage. You can go East and hit up Nova Scotia or New Brunswick, but either way you're close to the Newfies, and they're a bit as you Brits would say... Daft?

Avoid the North end of Canada at all costs, unless you like sub-arctic temperatures and barren landscape. Then that leaves the central provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, otherwise known as the prairies. Alberta is home of the redneck with too much money and not enough ways to spend it, Saskatchewan's capital rhymes with a female body part, and Manitoba may as well be called Manisnowba. Currently Manitoba is leading the shittier end of the country in terms of violence, with myself living in the violent crime capital, and Winnipeg being the murder capital several years running.

Unfortunately in the interest of unbiased media they can't report certain facts, but a lot of the crimes involved in making us the capital are of a certain race of people attacking fellow people of the same race. Then again, you can find problems like that anywhere you go.

In the end, we're still the forgotten hat, eh?
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Definitely Australia. They are way too many people here as it is...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.