Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: computer knowledge

I recently sent this out to our reps after continued blank IT surveys:
    badges.jpg

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    I do both hardware and networking. I do a lot of the connects for new copiers (drivers, scan to email & smb). Also was trained on a document management software called DocRecord and also on Uniflow for canon. You will need to understand computers when dealing with fiery controllers too. Eventually it will be necessary not optional to have some knowledge of computers and networking as this industry evolves.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Trusted Tech 250+ Posts Athlontini's Avatar

My company offers compensation to techs who go out and acquire IT certifications (and a bonus for any you happened to have already). Being computer-savvy is a trait whose worthiness is only going to increase and it will perk up some eyebrows in an interview.

computer knowledge

Certainly navigating various OS's to install drivers is a must.
    I believe networking knowledge is crucial to be self-sustaining.

I guess I am going to be a wise-ass and point out that all MFPs are basically computers with moving parts. And there are literally computers in them in almost the conventional desktop-sense.
    I surmise someone much smarter than me could actually install some flavor of Linux on them and run them like desktops, if so desired (with some modification). And your Fierys and Creos are definitely computers with proprietary software--I never tried it, but I am almost willing to bet I could install Linux or Windows on a Fiery and run it like a normal computer.
    Moreover a basic understanding in computer language for understanding what is really happening can help. For example, when I first started really working on machines, I ended up explaining what was happening with the software switches on Konica's (binary code) to a tech with 30+ years experience. It was simply intuitive to me, but seemed like a battle for him.
    Its only going to get more digital as time passes--sure there will always be your mechanical side to the industry, but I am kind of like Akitu in this--only I eat tablets and smart phones in the morning and pass "bricks" before bed.

There is nothing wrong in developing new skills and with computers it is more often than not, attitude. Like I told my father one day who was having a particularly anti-tech-day:
    "Look, if my friend's five year old can figure out this GUI then you can to."

End of my
    Rantings, Ravings, and Everything Else:
    I try to do it all, but depend on computers to get me through mechanical issues

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Even the most basic of networking knowledge will help you get through. "Networking for Dummies" is a good resource, and assumes you know nothing.

There is no excuse for wondering why having the wrong DNS (or none at all) specified means they cannot scan to email, or why dropping a new router in that uses a different IP scheme means noone can print or scan!

Blank IT surveys can be a dream or a nightmare - depends on the site!

I'm also backing up Synaux's story about understanding binary and how switches work. Very handy to know.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Synaux View Post
    And your Fierys and Creos are definitely computers with proprietary software--I never tried it, but I am almost willing to bet I could install Linux or Windows on a Fiery and run it like a normal computer.
    Been there done that....
    Won 100.00 for it to....

I wish I understood computers. Then copiers would be easier...
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

computer knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
    Been there done that....
    Won 100.00 for it to....

I wish I understood computers. Then copiers would be easier...
    Be so kind as to share the conditions of that bet (and which side you were on

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

i have been tech for twenty plus years, i however have very little computer knowledge. the company i am curently working for is pushing me to become more computer savy. i was wondering how many other techs are strickly copier repair and very little if any computer work as am i?
    I would bet the numbers are dwindling fast. 23+ years myself and I work with a few guys who are still reluctant to learn basic networking skills. The industry has changed since the analog copier days. You have to change with it or be left behind. I don't know of any "Retro copier" companies looking to hire.

"Why me have to learn wheel? Me make slab on rope. Work for dad. Work for me. Now all want wheel wheel wheel" , said Atuk the caveman as his rock slab-on-a-rope business takes another loss.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Synaux View Post
    Be so kind as to share the conditions of that bet (and which side you were on
    A manager I worked for had "repurposed" a standalone fiery from a machine that took a headed off the delivery truck. He claimed it would only work as a fiery because that was what it was designed for. I asked if he wanted and updated computer for his office and "borrowed" the fiery. I told him for about 100.00 I could "build" him a new computer. It took about 3 days of searching for drivers and finding workarounds for some special cards in the fiery but a week later I brought in his "new" workstation running winblows 2000 workstation. Hooked it up and had him running 30 minutes later. 2 weeks later he was asking where the fiery was and told him to look under his desk.....
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

As I don't do a lot of network stuff, I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer here.
    But while any network training is always a good thing, make sure you understand the network you are working on before you try to apply that knowledge in the field.