Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Samsung S4 or Note 3?

Re: Samsung S4 or Note 3?

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    I still use a Blackberry. I freely admit I don't give a rats ass about apps. My phone is for work and as Akitu stated, the keyboard is better than any touch screen phone I have used. And also the battery lasts forever. It is a sad thing to watch the company implode.
    Apps aren't for everyone, but I was fed up with only having a web browser and email services for a "smart phone". The battery life and keyboard itself are highly dependent on what CrapBerry model you have. I myself had a Bold 9900 which was great for the first 2 of the 3 years I had it. Towards the end of life the keyboard began to fail, I would have the space bar stop functioning randomly, or keys would duplicate themselves without my input, the phone itself became horrendously slow even after a factory reset, it was not tied to a storage issue as it had well over 70% of its available storage still open. I would wind up having to forcefully press keys to get the desired effect, and began having to actually pay attention to what was being typed to ensure all characters appeared as I had intended.

The battery life of the original J1 battery that came with the phone went from okay to atrocious. Originally it would last 12-16 hours with moderate use, and toward EoL would be lucky if it went 6. It was due to this I had to buy a third party battery from a company called Mugen batteries, the replacement battery was actually fantastic, I would get 36 hours of moderate use on a single charge. Only other problem I had was that the phone at one point bricked itself after charging slightly too long, it would not wake up from the sleep mode. This was a known issue by RIM (now BlackBerry) and they wound up replacing a ton of phones as a result, and then taking forever to release the intended fix via a firmware update.

The problem BlackBerry had, was that it catered almost exclusively to the business world. There was no place for a casual user, or an enthusiast to get into a BB and use it for more than just web browsing and email services. The app selection was very limited due to their business catering, and like it or not, if someone has to shell out $200-500 for a phone, they want to get more out of it than two flagship features. They attempted to rectify this with the release of the BlackBerry 10 OS, where users could "Side-load" some android apps in an attempt to allow some greater usability of the phones, the browser was improved (OS7 would have funny web displays, or very small text that would not scale up with the web page as it was zoomed, rendering some sites completely unusable unless they were specifically coded for mobile browsing). The problem with "Side-loading" was that the average user was unwilling to perform all the extra steps necessary to do something that the competitor's phones (CrApple and Android) could do with a click of the "install" button in their respective app markets.

Unfortunately I think it was a case of being afraid to break out of their niche market that ultimately caused the implosion of BlackBerry/RIM, or more specifically, a case of "I'm the CEO and I know what my customers want, whether they know it or not, and their opinions don't matter at all."

We'll see if they manage to break out of their impending doom by paying attention to customer's desires or if they continue to operate in a niche that is being filled elsewhere.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Bigger isn't an issue if you wear pants with cargo pockets. At least that's what I found out after the mothership loaned me an S3.

Support Desk 50+ Posts SlipperyCat's Avatar

Who uses the keyboard on a smart phone? Use the voice to text feature! It's amazing and works very well, even on my S2.

Well, I will probably go with the S4. Thanks for the input. The Note3 just seems to big for what I do. I love to put a phone in my pocket and no, I can't wear cargo pants. We dress business causal like Dockers and a Polo shirt.

I got a Galaxy S GT-I9000, as far as I can tell, one of the first models being rolled out. Apart from getting a bit slow, and I think the Wi-Fi antenna is failing, it's been a good phone. Very robust considering I've accidentally flung it against walls and such. I only ever put a simple silicon case on it and a screen protector. Not a scratch.

My work phone is a HTC Desire S S510b. The first one got a cracked screen. Screen broke after I dropped it from waist height. It got replaced in-house and never worked the same again. Dead spots, random input. I got a replacement from another tech in the region who left. He must have forced one of the recent Android updates as it behaves slowly and does not operate in the same way as my previous HTC.

Apparently, we're all getting new phones when the current contract runs out. I heard that they will either be a Galaxy S2 or 3 or 4, or iPhone.

I'd prefer another Galaxy, as I like the android system over the iOS system.

I also want to cancel the plan I'm on with my galaxy, as I don't get my money's worth ($60/month) as I used to, and being able to merge both phones into a single number would be handy, as I won't have to carry 2 phones around with me AND save $60/month.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyCat View Post
    I have an SII now and love the phone, hate the provider so I'm making a switch soon. I can't decide if I should get the S4 or the bigger, Note 3.

Has anyone gone with the Note and been happier or do you find it just too large?

Just looking for opinions.
    hi check this link

Comparing Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Samsung Galaxy S4 32GB Specs - Seven Reasons for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - VERSUS

hope it will help you to decide

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    For working, they gave us "Outdoor-Galaxy S2"(GT-S7710), but its heavier and has a smaller screen then my private S-III. A friend of mine has the Note S2, but for me itīs a little to bulky. I use the S-III for a year now and i really like it. Itīs also more robust then the S-IV. Sometimes, when there is no other way i loaded down the Ricoh-firmwarefiles, push them to the laptop and can make updates without any problems. Also the camera of the S-III is astonishing!
    Greetings...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyCat View Post
    I have an SII now and love the phone, hate the provider so I'm making a switch soon. I can't decide if I should get the S4 or the bigger, Note 3.

Has anyone gone with the Note and been happier or do you find it just too large?

Just looking for opinions.
    sit down,think
    make a list of the most imortant functions for you,numbering them in order of importance
    then thick the specs on each phone.
    which one scores higher